• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 7710 losing water

td25c

Well I just got don repairing our 7710 tractor.It had developed a bad internal water leak in the engine.While using the tractor it lost all the coolant in about one hour filling the oil pan.After removing the engine I found a weep hole inbetween the #3 cylinder and the camshaft.The engine always ran good and did not use oil.I repaird it by drilling&tapping the hole .I used a 5/16 set screw and locktite to plug it.I guess the block was a bad casting that went through.I also put 15 P.S.I. of air on the block to check for leaks before reassimbaly.It works fine now.

d4c24a

porous

sounds like the classic ford problem of porous blocks be prepared for more leaks :Banghead

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
d4c24a is Right, classic ford problem! the earlyer ford blocks were the worst for it i belive!

td25c

Howdy d4c24a and cps.I forgot that England and Ireland had alot of ford tractors.Our 7710 is a 1983 model,I wounder when this block problem started?I also have a 1972 ford 4000 that has over 10,000 hour's and the engine has never been apart.Other than this problem I like ford tractors .I cant remember if it was in England or Ireland ,I saw pictures of a early 1970's ford 9600 with the front wheel assist option.I never saw one hear in the U.S. Thank's for the imput .

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
As far as i know 25c the 10 series were mostly prone to this, not sure what years but i'l ask about (the old hands)! as for the 4000 a great little tractor, making great money around here for colectors items almost!

td25c

As far as i know 25c the 10 series were mostly prone to this, not sure what years but i'l ask about (the old hands)! as for the 4000 a great little tractor, making great money around here for colectors items almost!

No dout about it, Those ford 4000 tractor's are tough.our's has paid for itself many times over.It just wont quit.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
yeah my cousin's 4610 developed a pin hole in a cylinder liner, but he has used it for like 10 without any problems so a little now and then is ok I guess. I know here in pa, you dont see too many 70hp and up fords. There are some bigger new hollands showing up though, but they are a cnh tractor, not all ford,case, or ih.

td25c

yeah my cousin's 4610 developed a pin hole in a cylinder liner, but he has used it for like 10 without any problems so a little now and then is ok I guess. I know here in pa, you dont see too many 70hp and up fords. There are some bigger new hollands showing up though, but they are a cnh tractor, not all ford,case, or ih.

My nieghbor had a 7700 that got a pin hole in the cylinder.He had it" bored out and sleved", it worked.I can remember as a kid sitting around the dinner table listening to grandpa,uncle's ,and dad talk about how thier would always be ford tractors because they had ford motor company behind them.Wow! times sure change wether we like it or not.

racsan

Occupation
assembler for a honda supplier plant
we had a '64 4,000 wish it was still with us, id put it in ag shows, no need to restore when you have a rare bird. theres thousands of JD "A"s but ive never seen another 4000 gas utiity wide front 5 speed. the closest ive seen was a mid 60's tricycle front with the select-o-speed. my grandfather had bought the tractor new. i dont have and digital photos of it. oddly enough i hated it growing up, that dual stage clutch was a pain when your only 75 pounds and you dont have much leg stretgh to overcome the pressure plate/clutch return spring. when i got to be about 17 i could drive it without pulling wheelies or stalling it out.

td25c

we had a '64 4,000 wish it was still with us, id put it in ag shows, no need to restore when you have a rare bird. theres thousands of JD "A"s but ive never seen another 4000 gas utiity wide front 5 speed. the closest ive seen was a mid 60's tricycle front with the select-o-speed. my grandfather had bought the tractor new. i dont have and digital photos of it. oddly enough i hated it growing up, that dual stage clutch was a pain when your only 75 pounds and you dont have much leg stretgh to overcome the pressure plate/clutch return spring. when i got to be about 17 i could drive it without pulling wheelies or stalling it out.

That '64 sounds rare.I never was around the select-o-speed.I guess it was fords first powershift.I heard they had trouble with the early select-o-speeds.We always had good luck with newer "duel power" option.

Richardjw~

Its a good idea to put corrosion inhibitor in as well, what I have done is put in good quality anti-freeze (which also includes C/I) and also added the Fleetguard stuff as a double insurance against the block going porous. Someone recommended putting in distilled water; not sure if it helps......as I'm sure you're aware the actual cause is from air bubbles in the coolant actually sticking to the water jacket and the vibration from the engine causing them to eat in to the block.....the attached explains better, I think

As mentioned here already a good "reaming" and sleeving should take care of it. Our '71 4000 went porous, we put in a new 10 series engine in it in '87 and within a few 100hrs it had gone again. So we sleeved it and was o.k. up until the time we sold it in '98

Attachments

• POROUS ENGINE.jpg
    POROUS ENGINE.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3,035
Last edited:

td25c

That is good information Richardjw~.I am familiar with fleetguard products,I will put some inhiptor in the 7710.In my experiance this problem occurs mostly in "wet sleve" engines,the odd thing I noticed is they pit worse on the exaust side of the engine.Viberation I guess?Sounds like this ford block problem started with the 10 siries tractors.I wounder where the blocks were cast? I hope the later models dident have this problem.

Richardjw~

I don't think the problem started only with the 10 series.....the problem being that by the time 10 series came around Ford had woke up to the fact and decided to react to it. When I worked in a Ford dealership during the late '80s whenever we fitted a replacement engine we fitted a coolant corrosion inhibitor filter as a matter of course.....it maybe became more pronounced as (as with most companies) Ford were trying to get even more out of an old casting and of course customers were pushing more out of their machines....Like I said our '71 4000 went porous, it was produced some 12 yrs pre-10 series, it was just something that was inherent to the engine, but when you dig around other motor manufacturers have their problems....for what it's worth I hear that the legendary green product has a similar problem with a simlar kind of corrosion around the wet injector sleeve of the high pressure common rail engines and ends up in the diesel system and ultimately in the combustion chamber.

the end of the day it's a Ford "problem" but the product still commands a high resale value so in itself says something about the value of the product...a pain when it happens, but in the long run worth the repair

td25c

If you keep a piece of equipment long enough,something will go wrong with it.I cant complain about the service we have gotten out of our ford tractors over the years.Ford tractors hold good resale value in my area ,as It sounds like they do all over the world.Thanks everyone for the imput.

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
This is a common problem with all Fords but for some reason the 10 series was more affected than the rest, the cure was the fitting of oversize liners and using corrosion inhibitors in the coolant.

It may surprize you to know that a lot of the other manufacturers suffer from this problem. I know of John Deeres that have had porous blocks!!

Neil

td25c

The interesting thing about my problem was the leak was at the bottom of the water jacket.Not in a liner where electroallisis usually occurs.If I could have pulled the oil pan I would have been able to fix it without pulling the motor.The way the fords are built the entire front end has to come off to get the oil pan off.and without knowing what the problem was at the time,I decided to pull the motor.So far the 7710 is working ok.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
fords as long as I have being playing with the spanners have had this problem,the newer xx block was a lot worse for going porous, everything from the 3610 up to the tw25's went ,on one occasion while ploughing stopped for lunch on my return started the 25 and noticed she was getting hot ,block gone porous.
The digger below is porous but we filled the rad with oil and every so often we just drain the sump top up the rad and away she goes ,the brother uses it around the yard for mucking out and other small jobs .(bonnet and grill were off to replace the fan belt )

eddy's digger.jpg

Most of the John Deere I worked were wet liners and would pin hole if anti freeze/anti corrosion wasn't in place,or the o rings on the liners would perish, saw a Zetor once that got so hot the "O" rings were melted.

Vaguely remember reading a report that it was caused by ultra sound, bubbles formed on the metal of the block and as the bubbles collapsed they eroded the metal,that and defective casting well you know the result ...Some of their car engine also gave similar issues.
I prefer Internationals myself and I haven't had one of them go porous.

alanstr

Occupation
farm tractors & equipment repair
That's why I bought a portable boring bar.One of my customers TW20 had a pin hole in #2 cylinder.We ended up boring out all 6 cyls and putting in repair sleeves.Some of the cylinders looked like swiss cheese after they were bored out for the sleeves.A few years ago I rebuilt a 6610 engine because operator didn't check the oil.The owner did not want to spend the extra money to have sleeves put in.Now 4 years later there is water in the oil and a pin hole in #3 cyl.

Tex3406

The digger below is porous but we filled the rad with oil and every so often we just drain the sump top up the rad and away she goes ,the brother uses it around the yard for mucking out and other small jobs

Are you saying that you are using oil in the radiator as coolant? I haven't heard of that trick. Or am I interpreting it wrong?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Yep three years on with oil as a coolant ,the water hoses are starting to breakdown now