• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 655C Swing Cylinder Bushing

BackertheBiker

While I was digging in my 655C yesterday, the boom started hanging up while swinging. I got to looking, and found that the bushing that goes around the swing cylinder mount on the backhoe frame (Part 26 below), was rising up out of the mount. I was basically able to pull the bushing out the top of the swing cylinder.

Looking today at parts list and the manual, it's not clear to me what holds this bushing in..? Is the top plate that goes across both swing cylinders, supposed to hold that bushing down? Or is the seal that goes in above the bushing just supposed to be a tight enough fit to hold that bushing down? I assumed there was going to be a C-Clip or something holding everything in, but I don't see that. Trying to figure out what I need to do tonight to fix this correctly, and make sure I don't have this bushing pop out again when I get back out there.

Swing Cylinder.PNG
Swing Cylinder List.PNG

BackertheBiker

Looks like it is to be pressed in.
Well damn.. That's not great that it easily slid out then! Guess I'll take the retainer plate off tonight and see how badly it's worn. Hopefully can just replace the bushing, not the retainer plate..?

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
There are people hear who are a lot more qualified than I am. I was classically trained as a mechanic forty years ago but changed crafts thirty years ago.
I took the swing cylinders out of my 555E recently and had them re-packed. I am certain the bushings were pressed in because they were tight. If the plate bore is out of round I would bore it true and use an oversized bushing. You could probably get it at McMaster Carr. Not too big of an issue if you have access to a mill and a lathe.

BackertheBiker

Well, I tore it down, tapped the bushing back into place and got it back together tonight. I had to work the bushing quite awhile to get it back on, but not really a tight press fit. Bushing looked fine though - no damage.. What are everyone’s thoughts on something like loctite 680 retaining compound for something like this? Is that a bad idea for any reason?

1BD7914B-6AD6-406F-932C-245149B79C2D.png
47ba6193-914f-4f91-8cca-f901986cdbc3-png.292317

Welder Dave

Depending on the gap and if the hole is still reasonably round a Loctite retainer could work but the bushing should be fairly tight. I used Loctite 660 on mine after welding and boring the swing pivot. 660 fills the largest gaps of the retaining compounds. I found some heat helps it cure but it only cures in the absence of air. If the gap is too big it won't cure. Loctite has a chart online showing the different retaining compounds and respective gaps they are good for.

BackertheBiker

Be generous with your grease gun after you repair it.
If the bushing gets dry the pin it will force the bushing to turn in the bore it is pressed into.
I'm pretty generous with the grease. I try to grease every day before I start. This backhoe lived a long, hard life before me though. These things are the price I pay for being able to own a cheap hoe!

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
And... It stayed in about 5 minutes when I got back out there last night. Grabbing some Loctite 660 tonight - will see if that will hold it in.
You're swinging a massive amount of weight around. A loctite type product is not likely to hold it. Check with a machine shop and see what it would cost to fix it.

BackertheBiker

Understood. It's an hour of work for a chance, and I don't think the Loctite will do any harm. It's worth a try in my book, unless someone can point out some harm it would do.

Getting this to a machine shop is a much larger task for me.. I will if I need to, but I'll exhaust other options first.

Welder Dave

If it needs to be tapped back in place and is somewhat snug the Loctite could work. Everything needs to be really clean and I found warming things up makes the Loctite cure better. Just semi hot to the touch is enough. If the bore is out of round probably needs some welding to repair it.

BackertheBiker

If it needs to be tapped back in place and is somewhat snug the Loctite could work. Everything needs to be really clean and I found warming things up makes the Loctite cure better. Just semi hot to the touch is enough. If the bore is out of round probably needs some welding to repair it.
Thank you! When I put it back in Monday night, it was tight. I had to work it pretty hard to get it on - that’s why I thought it might hold. Got it apart, all cleaned up and ready. Waiting for the Loctite 660 to show up tomorrow. I’ll put some heat to it before I put it on - good advice. Will let everyone know how it turns out!

BackertheBiker

Also to clarify - this bushing presses on around the shaft on the cylinder, then the cap plate that holds it in place slides over the pressed-on bushing. So it will require some rework of the cylinder if this doesn’t work.. Fingers crossed I don’t have to get into all that.

Check Break

You have wear that you won't fix by replacing one bushing. Sometimes the solution is a cheap trick. A thousand hours from now, you won't even remember the fix.

Attachments

• KIMG0243.JPG
    KIMG0243.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 16
  • KIMG0244.JPG
    KIMG0244.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 16