• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 655C Power Steering Hose

BackertheBiker

Can anyone help me with a part number for the power steering hoses on a 655C? Looking for the metal line that connects under the gas tank, and goes through the firewall. Specifically looking for the hose closest to the inside of the machine / closest to passenger side. Not sure I can get away with a rubber hose replacement on this one because of the sharp bend where it goes through the firewall. Open to other suggestions how to replace this hose though

v8dom

i need to replace the ps tseering hose from the bottom of the tank/pump to the cololm... has anyone changed this please as it looks so hidden / so hard to get too??
does fuel tank need to be removed or is it possible in situ... thanks in advance

BackertheBiker

i need to replace the ps tseering hose from the bottom of the tank/pump to the cololm... has anyone changed this please as it looks so hidden / so hard to get too??
does fuel tank need to be removed or is it possible in situ... thanks in advance
That’s why I posted this thread originally, and I did complete the job. It wasn’t too awful - I’d say about 12 hours of work in total for a guy who occasionally works on vehicles and equipment, and has a half-adequate set of tools.

Have to take the rear half of the doghouse off, air cleaner box out, fuel tank out. I had to replace the hydraulic line that goes through the firewall, so I had to take the steering column and power steering box out as well from inside the cab, which honestly was almost half the work involved. I couldn’t seem to get the hydraulic line out of the firewall without taking it all out though, so it had to happen. Easy enough to do - it’s all back together and working fine, no leaks!

Cbils

Hello there, going through same problem with my 655c. Got it all apart and having trouble with parts. Any ideas on whether or not I can just change the hose versus the whole tubing and hose assembly

BackertheBiker

Depends where it’s leaking, but for the most part the hoses are crimped onto the tubes. The tube / hose assemblies are incredibly expensive - if you find a good hydraulics shop, they can weld a compression fitting to the existing metal tube, and put a new hose on for you. That’s what I had someone do - they left enough tube to get through the firewall, then welded a fitting on. Cost $120 for the work, vs. I think $250 for an oem assembly.

v8dom

That’s why I posted this thread originally, and I did complete the job. It wasn’t too awful - I’d say about 12 hours of work in total for a guy who occasionally works on vehicles and equipment, and has a half-adequate set of tools.

Have to take the rear half of the doghouse off, air cleaner box out, fuel tank out. I had to replace the hydraulic line that goes through the firewall, so I had to take the steering column and power steering box out as well from inside the cab, which honestly was almost half the work involved. I couldn’t seem to get the hydraulic line out of the firewall without taking it all out though, so it had to happen. Easy enough to do - it’s all back together and working fine, no leaks!
may i ask a couple of questions please?
did you have the front bucket up or down when the fuel tank was removed please?
did you remove the cowling arround the tank and the one in front that the air cleaner attatches too as well or could that one be left in place to save time?

im thinking if one pipe burst im going to drop all 4 off to the hydraulic people and replace all the flexi bits at the same time

many thanks in advance

dom

Cbils

Hello Dom. Yes bucket down. Remove cowling and air cleaner. The plate that the air cleaner is bolted to we left in place. Don’t think you can remove it as it’s welded in place. I agree with your plan to replace all of them at the same time. I will be doing the same.

BackertheBiker

Sorry for the late reply. I actually did mine with bucket up. This allowed me to easily get to all the bolts for the cowls and the exhaust / air cleaner. I think with bucket down, the loader arms are going to be in your way a lot. With bucket up, I did have to lift the fuel tank up over the loader arms which was a pain, but I managed. And it was worth it to have visibility / accessiblity on everything else. The bolts holding the air cleaner box on were the biggest pain - otherwise fairly straight-forward procedure.

I only replaced the one hose that was damaged, due to the cost. I contemplated doing all 4, but decided my labor is free, and I'm a tight-wad. If you can afford it, may not be a bad idea to do all while you're in there.