• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555 no fuel to injectors after sitting

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Hi all, my old 555 has been sitting for a year and a half, in side the barn. Tried to fire it up a few months ago, no fuel to the injectors. Drained water separator, only got a little out. New fuel filter, checked strainer on the pump, clean. Tried all sorts of tricks trying to pop metering valve loose with cover on. Removed cover, metering valve seems to move freely. Still no fuel to injectors. Big stream of fuel out of bleeder while cranking, so it's getting that far. Is there anything else to try? Lucas CAV pump

Delmer

Seems like the plungers can stick, and it's only fuel pressure pushing them back. You're getting fuel from the bleeder on the injection pump when you're cranking? You could add 25% acetone and try it again every day for a couple weeks to see if it loosens up?

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Seems like the plungers can stick, and it's only fuel pressure pushing them back. You're getting fuel from the bleeder on the injection pump when you're cranking? You could add 25% acetone and try it again every day for a couple weeks to see if it loosens up?
Yes, I get a good stream while cranking. I'll give the acetone trick a try. Will have to find a syringe. I see there's an air trick, but blowing in the fuel line ports won't get air to the plungers. Is there another place to put air to?

Check Break

Air may damage your pump. It's not an old inline design from the 40-s. One cause of the problem you are describing is a failed lift pump. Doesn't make sense because there's fuel at the bleed screw on the pump, but it is what it is. Bet your injector lines are just wet at the injector after you've exercised your starter nearly to exhaustion.

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Air may damage your pump. It's not an old inline design from the 40-s. One cause of the problem you are describing is a failed lift pump. Doesn't make sense because there's fuel at the bleed screw on the pump, but it is what it is. Bet your injector lines are just wet at the injector after you've exercised your starter nearly to exhaustion.
This machine does not have a lift pump. Fuel is gravity fed to the filters, and then on to the injection pump. Fuel will spray out of the bleed screw of the injection pump while cranking, so the internal transfer pump is working.

Check Break

I use lift pump and transfer pump interchangeably. We're talking about the same thing. Fuel at the bleed screw does not mean your transfer pump is functioning properly.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Putting air into the outlet ports will work sometimes..BUT.. u have to either rotate the engine, which in turn moves the internals of the pump to align the port to which your putting air into..
OR.. just blow air into all the ports one at a time..
Make sure the shut off is in the run position and ur holding the throttle wide open.