• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 5500 injector pump question

Scooby340

Hello All,
I took the fuel tank and the filter assembly off to clean and paint them, and replace the fuel line. When I removed these parts, I immediately plugged/capped the metal fuel line going to the injector pump to keep clean and hopefully keep the fuel from evaporating. It has been apart for 4 or 5 months.
I reinstalled everything and have fuel through the filter and up to the metal line going to the inj pump. I hesitate to try and start the engine in case there is air in the pump.
My parts manual says I have a Simms pump, but the pump on the engine looks way different. Based on some searching I believe my pump is a Cav/Lucas??? I saw a pic of the same pump on BrokenTractor and they list it as a Cav/Lucas.. I am quite sure I have the Cav...
Long story short, I don't know where the bleeder is on the pump. I should have taken a pic, but we are getting hammered with rain.
Any help would be appreciated.
THX...AL

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If its a CAV,, the bleeder is by the nameplate.. double screw.. 7/16 on bottom and 5/16 on top.. just loosen the 5/16 and crank the engine until you get clear fuel and no bubbles.. tighten..
THEN go up to the injectors in the head and loosen the lines about 1 turn.. crank engine until fuel squirts out and tighten..
Its BEST if this is done with the throttle in the FULL THROTTLE position..
MAKE SURE the shut-off lever is in the FULL RUN position.. or you'll never get fuel to the injectors..
Good luck

Scooby340

THANK YOU Pump Guy!!!!
I did a search before I posted and saw that you might be the man to seek out on this!!! I believe it does have that double screw.. I should have the ole girl makin noise today if the rains hold off.. Not likely say the weather heads....
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!