• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4500 with a 755 backhoe, need a swing post, help?

Oldiron

If you are taking it apart plan on changing the hoses, They are all the same length , but a couple could stand to be about 6 inches shorter than the rest, I sold my 4500/755 so I can't tell you which ones it is. make sure to pre slack your swing chains too when you take it apart, they can be a bit of a headache. I would agree that the housing could be welded, but I would use 11018 (8018 C3) electrode.

mitch504

I remembered to ride out and see yesterday just before dark, but had worse than no luck. Not only were all the 755 parts gone, but I ran my pickup onto a piece of steel pipe in the tall grass. I hit it moving very slowly, but just right to knock my front tire off the rim, so that when it settled, the pipe was under the control arm, holding that wheel off the ground. I had to walk back to the shop and get my rollback.

I have a complete 753 that has been bored and rebushed, but I haven't completely made up my mind to get rid of it.

hookedondiesel

My guess is that it's cast iron.
Allot of good advise here, ( had a similar problem with my old Massey ) it could have been fixed but no guaranty. I managed to find a second hand for 6 hundred.
Once you remove it, an experienced welder will tell you what type of steel it is and the possibility of repairs.
If it is cast steel, your lucky and can be repaired better than iron. IMO

Plainjoe81

The snow has finally melted off the machine, parts have been in (pins, bushings, and hoses). I've reviewed everyone's post hear, reread the service manual, loosened a few concerned spots while I had it inside today. Wish a newbie good luck in my attempt to remove the swing post tomorrow for welding. If anyone has come across a used one, I'm still looking at least for another day.