• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 4000 won’t even try to start

Kpp23

I have this ford 4000 with the cav injection pump I bought it from a guy for 300 bucks because it blew a head gasket he bought the head gasket and I did that that has been the easiest part of this it shouldn’t be this damn this just won’t fire I’ve rebuild the injectors I know the injectors work just fine I’ve tested exactly at 2,750-3,000psi I even fully replaced one. When I go to start it it will turn over just fine I know how to bleed it out and I continue to try to do so first I bleed the filter then the pump then the injectors but it just won’t budge or even try unless I spray starting fluid even tho I hate to use it. I’m basically at a complete loss I have changed the fuel filter made sure it’s fine I’m just tired of ruining this starter by turning it over so much I hope someone can help me

Kpp23

Are you getting fuel up to the injectors? Just wondering if the shut off linkage inside the top cover of the pump is sticking.
It has fuel just not very much just a dribble and I took the top part of the cover off snd cleaned it out super good and made sure everything was working and Iam getting a lot of pressure at the pump

Tenwheeler

Had any of it been taken apart before you bought it? Have you ever heard it run?
A friend of mine bought a similar backhoe that would not run and went through all those kind of things. I started laughing when he brought the fuel filter base in. Part of a filter as in the top or bottom of one was broke off and stuck in the top of the base.
Make sure the return line from the pump is not stopped up.
Make sure you have good fuel supply to the pump.
Take and injector out and screw it to an injector line that has been bleed. Will it blow fuel when cranked? No do not be around it or use your hand.
No fuel - bad pump.
Hate to rebuild a pump because it is out of time.

Kpp23

I will definitely check to see if it’s plugged at first I was checking a whole bunch to see if it’s plugged but I definitely didn’t check everything I will have to do that
And I have fidued with timing a whole bunch to see if it’s that still yet no difference I will do the injector test tomorrow to make sure the pump is working
How much fuel should I be seeing when I crack a injector?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If u have fuel to the inj pump and nothing out, it’s the pump.
U should have a pulse of fuel out of the lines when loose..
Heed the warning about staying clear of the injector spray with the inj outside the engine.!!
But by the sound of it, u don’t have to worry about it..
Do u know inj pumps.??
Did u check the mv for movement.??
Did u make certain the shut off bar was in the nub on the s/o shaft when u got done “cleaning”.??

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
is this a Ford 4000 farm tractor? does it have a rotary injection pump?

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
couple things come to mind....there is a screen filter on the back of the pump you have to unscrew the line and a fitting to see it. 2nd thing I believe there are transfer pump vanes at the rear of the pump there are 4 small bolts to remove a 5/16 wrench fits them from memory. they fit in a eccentric round housing that is held by a dowel. turn the engine or bump the starter do the vanes turn? if the tractor has been in a cold environment and had some water in the fuel which froze The shaft can break meaning no transfer fuel just lift pump fuel = no or hard start. the other thing is when reassembling after the head gasket replacement did you do a valve set? tight valves.= low compression.

Dave Neubert

When you changed the fuel filter did you put the gasket in the top of the base or put it in the filter if you put it in the filter you blocked the fuel flow. I can't tell you how many times I have been called out for this