• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

? for ATCO about "o" rings

firetruck dvr.

Occupation
Full time firefighter engineer, and part time heav
When did cat go to the "D" style rubber gaskets in their hyd. systems? We have a 99 model D4C LGP and it blew an angle cyl. hose yesterday. I could not tell if the O rings were the "D" style or not. We have a 2007 304cr mini ex and it uses the "D" style (found this out the hard way). I have a "D" ring kit ordered from Cat. Kit cost almost 600.00 by the way!! Anyway I put the D4 back with new "O" style rings and it seems to be working fine? Thanks in advance!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
When did cat go to the "D" style rubber gaskets in their hyd. systems? We have a 99 model D4C LGP and it blew an angle cyl. hose yesterday. I could not tell if the O rings were the "D" style or not. We have a 2007 304cr mini ex and it uses the "D" style (found this out the hard way). I have a "D" ring kit ordered from Cat. Kit cost almost 600.00 by the way!! Anyway I put the D4 back with new "O" style rings and it seems to be working fine? Thanks in advance!

Wow, when did they go with D seal rings? Not sure, but Cat has been using D rings in various applications for years. And it's not easy to distiguish it's a D ring seal if it's a connection that been made up for a long period of time, the seal doesn't look much different from an o-ring, squashed and hard. I can only say the groove the o-ring sets in is a bit deeper when using D ring seals as opposed to typical o-rings, hence the reason an o-ring will fail if used in a D ring milled groove. :)

Edit, well I'll be dog gone...Lee done went and beat me here. Bah ha ha haha :D

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I might be wrong on this but original they where metal clad now there all rubber ..been around for a long time .