• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flywheel on D315 question

Fat Dan

I'm working on the 955C 12A-03563.
I pulled engine out and removed the wet clutches pressure plates and flywheel everything looks good so far but the flywheel has quit the wear on the ring-gear - 1/4" ground. I know on other types of equipment you can turn the ring-gear over and reuse them would that be possible on this ring-gear setup?
955C flywheel.jpg

Fat Dan

I'm working on the 955C 12A-03563.
I pulled engine out and removed the wet clutches pressure plates and flywheel everything looks good so far but the flywheel has quit the wear on the ring-gear - 1/4" ground. I know on other types of equipment you can turn the ring-gear over and reuse them would that be possible on this ring-gear setup?
Starter gear 20T that engages to the flywheel has some approachable wear also

Old Magnet

Flywheel ring gear can not be flipped, there is an offset to the gear.
The 20T gear does not engage the flywheel, the starter pinion 13T does that.
You could go to direct electric start where the starter pinion comes in from the other side.

Fat Dan

I think I may have found the problem that caused all the gnashing and grinding of the teeth. From what I have read it is probably the most common cause of wear between the pony and diesel engines; a bad pinion latch adjustment that let the dogs kick out before the diesel engine starts. That is why YouTube is full of videos of people holding back on the pinion lever to start the diesel. This only makes the latch dogs and Stop T-Nut round over even worse and causes multitudes of other wear and stresses on nearly all the pinion and related parts.
Cat 955 Latch dog.jpg 955C T nut.jpg
Yup. Must need a new set of eyes or glasses because I mixed up the two gears in the parts book. It is the 13 tooth gear that is ground off a bit.
Thank you for pointing that out for me that could have been an expensive mistake. I'll keep an eye on that.
.955C starter Gear.jpg
We don't learn form the things we know but we SHOULD at least learn from our mistakes.

Fat Dan

O yeah thanks for the info about the flywheel, I would have gave it the old collage try. I think I saw NC Machinery (local Cat dealer) had a ring gear or it was the whole flywheel for nearly $500 now I need to see what the direct starter system will run. I think Cat had both 12v and 24v systems (generator/reg) for direct start. However I'm sure the 24v direct systems also used glow-plugs. I did see where some previous owner had removed the plate where the direct starter would bolt. The plate being gone allowed dirt and twigs and bugs n things into the clutch area - the drain plug is gone too so it was not holding water.

955C Direct ele start.jpg
I don't think this style head or pre-cup will accept a glow-plug system anyway. I have been wrong before. But one could use the heat off the running pony like normal and crank the diesel with the direct starter.

Fat Dan

Direct Electric Start was an option for the 12A's. Yes you can get after market glow plug chambers. DES uses 24V starter.
I'll have to run down some prices to see which one is a more viable option. Direct start w/ glow-plugs would be nice. Will see what kind of parts I can find.
Thank you so much, Now I have yet another option.