• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First service truck could use some advice

Huffy

Been in field for 45 years. Buy a reasonable priced truck with crane and compressor. 4 wheel drive not necessary. Have a extra international with crane and compressor or just a utility body or crane

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I second that huffy, no need for 4x4. I have run both and my kenworth goes anywhere it should. I have had to put chains on my truck 2 times this year....TIO

driveshed

Hey Joeyz
One thing to keep in mind is how much are you going to put on the truck, I bought a nice F350 a 96 that only had 37000 KM on it when i got it . Now 6 yrs later I am going to get a bigger truck cause of the wieght that I am carrying. The biggest down fall to this F350 is it is a gaser and not easy on fuel. I am looking at a cab and chassi from nortracs , call some of the john deeres and cat to see what they have comming up for sale in their fleets , they sometime are not price too bad . Watch for the ford s with that 6 litre not a good engine. watch for the cats 3116,3126 if these have got low millage and service has been done on regular their not to bad. The truck I am look at is got the DT444 Internnational in it is a 4300 sieres, maybe a little over kill for what I need but i dont think I will every over load it.

chris_james

Try to buy it straight out from an equipment dealer. They buy new trucks every so often or even one from a hertz equipment rental place. As far as the type most that I see are Kodiak , topkick or c7500

KevD815

I have had a range of trucks from F250 srw utility bodies, an F550 with 11' body and a crane, a couple 11' body F450s, and a C7500 with a lube/service body. You can accomplish a surprising amount of work out of a smaller truck. Don't overlook a well set up F350 especially if you are just starting off. However, forget about any single rear wheel utility bodies because the compartments are just too damn narrow. I had the best luck with the long (11 foot) body F450/550s. You can just fit that much extra in there and can still put a welder and a gang box in the bed and still have enough left for parts and supplies. The C7500 was great but it was too heavy and too big to sneak into tougher or softer places. The majority of my trucks were 2wd. Yes i got stuck a couple times in the mud or sand but they did the job and with decent tires snow was never really an issue. The crane on the 550 was sweet but that put it right at gross with all my tools and a welder.

My recommendation would be a long wheel base 450 or 550 with a tall compartment for torches. If you can find one with 4x4 then that's great.

Wes J

I am saving up some more so I can buy it cash

That's the trick for the little guy. If the truck stay parked for a few weeks, it hurts a lot less if you don't have to pay the bank at the end of the month.