• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First service truck could use some advice

Joeyz

Occupation
Welder and diesel mechanic
Well this is my first post. Been reading hear for a while. I work fall time in a shop for the past yr but been in and out of welding and equipment shops since I was 17 now 24 and been in and around the automotive industry my whole life. I'm looking to put together my first service truck for side work. I do a lot of welding on equipment and have been working out of my 06 Nissan titan. Would like a crane and pto compressed . Dose anybody got any good suggestions on make modle and must be 4x4 snow sucks I am a lil lost. 30 gs and under is my price rang with taking a small loan out. Thank you Joey

Wes J

I can't help with the technical details, but do try to avoid that loan if you can. If you can possibly get by with no crane, a guy can sure do a lot of work out of a regular pickup. When I worked in the truck shop, our mobile rig (that I built) was an old tire service truck. It had a compressor run by the fan belt on the truck engine. There was an air tank at the front of the bed and a hose real above it. We had a Mac road box on a track that could slide all the way to the back of the bed.

That truck had no welder, but we could do an awful lot of repairs with that setup. Total investment was maybe $5,000 minus the tools. It wasn't pretty, but it made money.

Joeyz

Occupation
That's true I would like to not borrow money. It would be nice to have a truck set up and go. Rite now I am using my dd and it's just a hussle I also get a lot of calls for work that's up to 500 miles away I have to turn Down.

Wes J

Just throwing it out there, but what about a trailer? Lot's of contractors around here have nicely decked out enclosed trailers that they use on job sites. Just hook up and go.

mikebramel

You can have all of that for fairly cheap.... except 4WD.... that will kill your selection and price. What size truck?

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Go to truck paper.com. Search your state under service/mechanic trucks. Search, search, search until you get dialed into what you want and can afford. Another great outlet is a Ritchie brothers auctions. 30,000 can get you a good 4x4 1 ton with a crane for sure...TIO

Joeyz

Occupation
Just throwing it out there, but what about a trailer? Lot's of contractors around here have nicely decked out enclosed trailers that they use on job sites. Just hook up and go.

I would but I usually get called out to places it is hard to access with a truck or in middle of a snow storm

Joeyz

Occupation
Go to truck paper.com. Search your state under service/mechanic trucks. Search, search, search until you get dialed into what you want and can afford. Another great outlet is a Ritchie brothers auctions. 30,000 can get you a good 4x4 1 ton with a crane for sure...TIO

Thanks will be looking into it more I can always install a crane latter if the price is rite just need a good start and can build it to my liking

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I understand your super handy and can probably build anything but buy exactly what you think you want/need. It is more expensive to build as you go than start with what you need. I have done it each way and the economics say buy not build.....my 2 bits...TIO

still learn'n

Have you looked in to what you have to do for dot licensing for a service truck or maybe it wont pertain to you work don't know. I agree with tio get one with a crane and air compressor if you are eventually going to do it just looking and there is options out there for Ford F450 or even chevys with crane and compressor for under 30,000 like this one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6832633 or for a cheaper one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6916661 like was mentioned you have to look and see what you need and want in you price range. I had one that I converted that was a landscaping truck with a utility bed and put a crane on it and mad outriggers and ran it for a couple years I got by but wasn't the handiest. Now I use my crane all the time.

catfixer

Just out of pure curiosity, what are you doing that has people requesting you 500 miles away? Seems like way too far of a haul to still be competitive price wise.

Joeyz

Occupation
Just out of pure curiosity, what are you doing that has people requesting you 500 miles away? Seems like way too far of a haul to still be competitive price wise.

I bounds between my house up state new York and my house on long island ny I'm slowly moving up there it's about 350 miles door to door

Joeyz

Occupation
Have you looked in to what you have to do for dot licensing for a service truck or maybe it wont pertain to you work don't know. I agree with tio get one with a crane and air compressor if you are eventually going to do it just looking and there is options out there for Ford F450 or even chevys with crane and compressor for under 30,000 like this one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6832633 or for a cheaper one http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6916661 like was mentioned you have to look and see what you need and want in you price range. I had one that I converted that was a landscaping truck with a utility bed and put a crane on it and mad outriggers and ran it for a couple years I got by but wasn't the handiest. Now I use my crane all the time.
Thanks very much I am hitting my class b in spring I currently have my permit

Joeyz

Occupation
Thanks everybody it's true buying it is Easter then building it . I just got to keep looking. I am sitting Down and going to make a list with needs wants pros and cons

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
A 2 ton truck will give you a lot less problems and should be cheaper in the long run.by the time you put a crane body,welder,air compressor on a F550 you are at the GVW before you start putting any tools or parts on it

catfixer

I know in my search a lot of times I can find a used 650 or 750 for around the same as what the 550's are going for. Priced out a new dodge 5500 the other week with a knapeheide bed and stellar crane, i think final price was gonna be in the 140 range. I just keep my eyes on my truck paper app whenever i get bored. stuff pops up from time to time.