• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First NEW mini-ex purchase kx121

calvin

Occupation
Owner of SOS Plumbing
I just purchased a new 2012 kx121-3 with angle blade, auto idle, hyd thumb and 2 buckets. I'm upgrading from my case cx-36, as i needed something that would dig more that 11ft and do it easily through clay.

The crazy thing about this machine is it feels HUGE compared to my Case, and physically it's really not much bigger at only 1" wider.

But I love everything about it especially the fuel efficiency and how much quicker it makes my jobs.

I do have one qualm about it though. It has no power when booming left to right?? I can barely sweep 6 inches of dirt when trying to clean up.. and that's a big deal to me :(

How do you guys like your 121's?

k45

I've had a 121-3 for four years now for farm use. Nice.

If you are talking about using the bucket to push dirt sideways, mine is like that too. I assume it is designed that way so as not to damage the boom.

I love the swing blade!

Ken

drivadesl

Occupation
Engineer
Nice machine! I've got a U-35 which is very similar to yours that I bought used. I fine that the side to side boom strength is a little light though don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first machine.

Otherwise it's been great so I'm sure you will be happy with your KX -121.

Last edited:

lumberjack

The best way I've found to refill a hole with spoils (Using a 121-3) on the side of the hole relative to your position is to get a bucket full then lift slightly and slew to knock more off into the hole.

For final cleanup, you're right, it can't "sweep" much dirt before stalling. You can position yourself behind the spoils and use the blade to push them in, or position yourself across from the spoils (assuming you can reach) and use a crosstie and the like between the bucket and thumb to sweep with the crowd of the boom.

Last edited:

Danny Steel

Occupation
Farmer/Landscaper/Welder/Fitter
Being a new machine, the dealer may not want to adjust that presure on the swing, but I do beleave they can tweek the swing up a bit.
I have the KX71-3 and its also like that.

calvin

Occupation
Owner of SOS Plumbing
Does anyone know how to adjust the swing pressure? It's actually quite a let down when I go to backfill..my smaller machine had more power in the swing than this. :(

TCM

My old KX 121-2 was beat up and kicked around when I got it and over time I have been getting back into shape. Since the day I got it, it has earned it's keep 10 times over. Wouldn't trade it for.... I just wouldn't trade it.

Ropinghorns

You are a man after my own heart. I love my 2012 kx 121-3 with the same stuff as you. Local machine shop made some quick attach ears and I am putting them on every thing. Just take smaller amounts of dirt and live with the swing. I have a 135 Tach. that is weaker than the Kubota.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
I bought a old Kabota years agoe at a sale near Branson,Mo.I think it was a 35 .It didn,t have pilot controls and had been in Kiwatt after the war.I saw it the other day still running .By far a great name in light const.eq.

TCM

Regarding ears, if you typing to me I have the DWG file for the ears. The catch is the type of bucket due to its shape. I just got three bucket blanks (no ears) and I will be drawing up the bottom (bucket mating surface) tonight to fit USA attachment buckets. We should start a new threat here I think we are getting off topic.

Ropinghorns

TCM, I would like a copy of the mating plates.I am at www.lantermantractor.com The thread is hijacked because of me, but this is a great little mini-ex . The side swing on other mini's I have been on was similar. Now, if it is back on track i will tell you thanks for starting the topic calvin.

calvin

Occupation
Owner of SOS Plumbing
Not off topic at all :) I like to hear anything at all about this particular machine. I'm also interested in the ears :)

TCM

Not off topic then continuing on. Don't want to step on toes. The guys who posted the Email I sent the DWG file for ya's. Give them a try and post your results.

Thanks

TCM

I'm Canadian eh, wedge is the dominant QC in these parts. I would need some dimensions from you to modify. USA Attachments may sell you individual ears. Let me know.

Last edited: