• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finding more work?

Copenhagen

The construction industry has been in a real bad slump here recently.

How are you guys staying busy during the slow times?

I am signed up with a brokering company that brokers only dump trucks. There are about 30 of us on their list. For the past few months, they have only been sending out 3-5 trucks per day. I am one of the newest drivers on their list, so of course, I havent moved.

I have hauled a few loads here and there for some of my buddies that own landscaping companies.

I am thinking about signing up with as many paving companies as I can. I have heard that there are quite a few paving contracts turning loose pretty soon.

I am at a loss about what to do next. I see many trucks running everyday, and even a few new guys.

What areas of the industry should I be focusing on?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Around my way there was a paving boom it seems. So that seems like a good idea, but I think everyones wrapping up work pretty soon. How about hauling sand/salt for the winter? It's something to get you through the winter.

Pigseye

Work

Copenhagen I think a broker is a good start, I work for a large paving co. in the Minneapolis area, we hire alot of trucks outside of our own, so I get to talk to several different drivers a day, to pick up other work they try to get on hauling for the local quarries and gravel pits, when customers make large orders. That's just what I have noticed here. Good luck.

Paul

togoffrd

There has been a few trucks sitting around up here too. Networking with other trucks works well if you can give some work their way as well. Maybe sign up with a few more brokers to play the numbers.

I don't know alot about the pavers where your at, but some of the ones in the metro area are not paying enough to get out of bed for. There are guys fighting for a $48 an hour job, I'll let the truck sit all winter first. Most places won't let them put down first lifts unless it's 40° or more, or 50° or more for top lift.

Might look into hanging a plow on a pickup, there is decent money in that when and if it snows. Good subs are hard to come by, shouldn't be hard to find someone to sub to. It'll give ya something to do when the snow flies.

Good luck, Tom

thejdman04

The construction industry has been in a real bad slump here recently.

How are you guys staying busy during the slow times?

I am signed up with a brokering company that brokers only dump trucks. There are about 30 of us on their list. For the past few months, they have only been sending out 3-5 trucks per day. I am one of the newest drivers on their list, so of course, I havent moved.

I have hauled a few loads here and there for some of my buddies that own landscaping companies.

I am thinking about signing up with as many paving companies as I can. I have heard that there are quite a few paving contracts turning loose pretty soon.

I am at a loss about what to do next. I see many trucks running everyday, and even a few new guys.

What areas of the industry should I be focusing on?
I dont know what type of truck you ahve and if you want to be home everynight, but around here pulling htem shipping containers is HUGE. pROBLEM IS finding a good chasis (lights brakes) and then if you do blow a tire etc waiting for somone from who knows where.

Turbo21835

I dont know your truck set up. Are you running A truck with a box, or are you running a tractor/trailer combo? Aluminum box, or steel box? You may want to look into running for a demo company if you have a steel box. Most are always looking for extra trucks. Your box will take a beating though. So be prepared for that. If you have a tractor you may be able to pull one of the demo companies trailers. We had one guy pull trailers for us with his tractor, and he stayed busy at least 4 days a week. Also, you may check out a few scrap yards. I dont know about your area, but here they seem to keep 10 or so trucks busy everyday.