• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Finally got my 1845C to move....

thrashingcows

Well it has finally warmed up a bit here...up to -3*C from -30*C. Machine fired up on first crank after having the engine block heater, and a magnetic hyd fluid tank heater running for a couple hours. ;) And I finally got my machine to move, first I had to heat up the locking/parking pin on the LH side, once free it still wouldn't move. Open up the chain case to see if maybe there was a bunch of frozen water....nope just oil. Then I started to heat up the LH drive motor with a heat gun.....had that heating for 5-10 min....still no movement from the motor, or gear. Then started heating the planetary gear assemblies....did this for another 10 min or so and finally the LH system began to move.

So I'm guessing I have water inside the planetary gear assembly. Will have to drain the fluid and put some fresh oil in there, then run it for a little while and do it again...hopefully I can clear out all the water.

Jeepwalker

Drive it around, get the planetaries good and warm and pull the oil immediately. If the gear lube doesn't look milky, pull the cover off the chain case on the same side and see if it's milky too because there could have been ice at the bottom of the case, hard to see under the oil. Let us know how it turns out.

thrashingcows

The chain cases are full of fresh (used) oil.....and I sealed the inspection covers really well when re-installing them. Did not see any evidence of water in the case. Pretty sure it's water/moisture in the planetary since the shaft for the chain drive was not moving even a little, if it was frozen water in the chain case the chain sprocket on the shaft would have moved a little due to the slack in the chain. ;)

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I just refilled my planetaries this weekend too. My aux lines run under the left planetary drain plug and make it a real pain to get to.

I have a hard time imagining water getting into them. In the chain cases for sure, but not the planetaries.

thrashingcows

I just refilled my planetaries this weekend too. My aux lines run under the left planetary drain plug and make it a real pain to get to.

I have a hard time imagining water getting into them. In the chain cases for sure, but not the planetaries.

Was looking at parts diagrams of the planetary assemblies last night and there is a seal on the output shaft that the chain sprocket fastens too inside the chain case. If that seal is going bad then water could infiltrate in to the planetary assembly. My LH chain case was the one that was full of white lithium grease and several gallons of water...so I think it's entirely possibly. ;)

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Was looking at parts diagrams of the planetary assemblies last night and there is a seal on the output shaft that the chain sprocket fastens too inside the chain case. If that seal is going bad then water could infiltrate in to the planetary assembly. My LH chain case was the one that was full of white lithium grease and several gallons of water...so I think it's entirely possibly. ;)

That exact same thought occurred to me later last night. I think you are right on the money with your thinking. A chain case full of water could definitely get past a worn seal and into the planetary.
I don't have to worry about water in my cases since I park my machine indoors all the time. But over time I do lose the oil out of the planetarys. I've never seen any leaks, so my seals probably need to be replaced.

thrashingcows

That exact same thought occurred to me later last night. I think you are right on the money with your thinking. A chain case full of water could definitely get past a worn seal and into the planetary.
I don't have to worry about water in my cases since I park my machine indoors all the time. But over time I do lose the oil out of the planetarys. I've never seen any leaks, so my seals probably need to be replaced.

Hadn't thought about the planetary fluid moving the other direction....good thing to keep in mind. I was using the Case today to clear wet snow....will try and get the planetary gear oil changed very soon. And I Hope to have my Case under cover by next winter....trying to build a big shop this year. ;)