• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis FD20 (who owns or runs one?)

roadrunner

What is your opinions of this dozer.Are the engines Allis or Cummins?Do they stand up or are you always fixing?Parts hard to get?
Let's hear it all!

roadrunner...

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
We had some around here in Virginia. International Paper use to run them until we converted them to Komatsu. I would get a hold of dirthog on this forum. He works for a dealer that was the fiat dealer.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hi. The few people I know that traded there Allis HD16Bs on the new FD20s here in the 80s were bitterly disappointed with them, and most traded up to komatsus or cats. Or stuck with there HD16s as they were a popular machine down here.
cheers Merv

fiat41b

they have a 8215 iveco engine that has been a good engine for me the engine is used for thr fr20 wheel loader fe40 excavatoe and fl20 track loader along with the fd 20 dozer
parts are available the engine is the same in all of these machines just the fuel system and turbos are different for each configuration

oldirt

there is one near me that is about 25 years old, and still runs very well. I would say it would perform at least as well as a D7G. Parts and service in our area is not as good as the cat dealer but that is pretty hard to beat.

td25c

I was never around an fd20.There are 5 fd20's on www.machinerytrader.com.I like my 16b fiat,I was guessing the fd20 replaced the 16b.I like this size of dozer because it will do big jobs or smaller jobs like removing old grown up fence rows,and wieghing in at the 50,000 pound range it moves easy on a tandem tractor & loboy.If I found one close to home at the rite price ,I might give it a second look.

D6c10K

There's a very well burned one in the local junk yard....not much good except for the blade and maybe some internal parts. Even the tracks have been pretty hot since the plastic plugs in the track pins have melted and run out.

roadrunner

Thanks for the info guys! I have heard the Allis engines(is this that 8215 iveco engine?) did have some problems in the earlier Allis Chalmers is this Bull Sh** or what?
I called a local recker and parts store today and asked if it is hard to get parts for the FD20 and he said just depends what you need!Not the answer I was looking for!

I may have to call on you great Guys down south:usa of me for help someday to locate parts.

D6Merv, why were those guys that traded up dissappointed with the FD?

roadrunner:canada

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hi roadrunner.
I don,t really know why this bloke disliked his FD20. He was a guy i met and bought a D4E from. He said he was a AC fan and had a HD16 and traded up to its Fiat replacement a FD20. THis was late 80s so was maybe a earlier model. But he didn,t like it and later traded it on a D7H.
I only met him about 5yrs ago and he sold everything then and got out of the bisiness and it was just conversation at the time.
Merv

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I did a repair on one for the air force a few years back. It had the Iveco engine which I felt was a piece of crap. When I got called to the project the civilians doing the maintenance on the machine couldn't get it to hold water. I immediately saw a loose head nut and figured they had pulled the heads and not torqued them back down properly. I was wrong. When I pulled the heads for inspection I found both were cracked. I had to use a specialty repair shop in Portland Oregon to repair them. There were no new heads to be found anywhere!

In the next part of the project I found out there is a forward head and back head. They cannot be swapped. When you take the heads off you have to go exactly in a certain order of removing components. The same goes for putting it back together. If you miss an item you have to remove a manifold or something else big to get the part back in.

I also did the steering clutches and brakes. The friction plates in clutches has just pulled off the disks and dropped to the bottom of the case. They had run the brakes too long and gone into the rivets and actually blued the drums. It took several hours to get all the wasted metal and brake shoe pieces out of the cases.

I know these units are military and I very much doubt there was anyone of intelligence running them but the kind of repairs I had to do and for the time it took to do them I could have rebuilt a D6 from stem to stern.

swampdog

I'll be the first to admit that I'm prejudiced against anything with the name Fiat connected to it. I have never forgotten a very costly and very bad experience with one of their products years ago. Someone told me that the company had to flee North America to get away from unhappy customers.

The takeover of Chrysler by Fiat pretty well assures that I won't be buying one of their products any time soon. I wonder how many other North Americans have long memories?

TRC_REP

Our family business runs a Fiat Allis HD21B and a HD21C. They have both proven to be very tough, reliable machines. Ours have the 844 cid Allis engines. What few parts we have had to purchase have not been hard to source.

The man who sold us the 21C had an FD30 as well, I asked him how he liked it. Overall he said it was a good machine but the parts for the Iveco engine were hard to find and very expensive.

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
I owned a Fiat Allis 8B once & worked with a 14B on a D6H Stick raking on steep hills They are good reliable stable tractor climbed & pushed real good big problem was the hopless soft fine threaded bolts that hold it together they would strip so easily so you had to drill a tap them which was so annoying & they had a hopless dealership also very poor sale price

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
I owned an old AD12 and it was a good old tractor that punched well above its weight. As for not buying anything Fiat, well its getting harder as they own Chrysler as mentioned but also Case/New Holland and Iveco.

jakesdad

I have a Allis dozer HD21P. It is a tough machine with a powerful Allis engine. Parts that I have needed are not hard to find. I have found them through my local dealer.

moducks

I have a fd7 and I am starting to have trouble getting some parts. When I call my local new holland dealer he always lets me know how many are in the warehouse because once there gone there gone. He might just tell me that so I will go ahead and order but I need some track rollers now that were in the warehouse but I waited and now cant get.

lbz351

For undercarriage parts what about aftermarket? My FD5 has Berco track, rollers, and drive sprockets. Perhaps berco still makes this stuff?

sgebbie

Occupation
dairy farmer
I bought a used (very used) FD20 10+ years ago and have used it to clear land on my farm. I contacted a guy outside of Montreal who deals in used heavy equipment. I've gotten most of my parts from or through him....engine, torque converter and so on. Now I'm looking for some used tracks and he can't help me on this. Any ideas?