• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat 70CI. Repairs, modifications and stories.

Jeembawb

Did you get it sorted Ted? I've got manuals stashed away and will be getting back to making 2 AD7's out of three shortly so will be back on here a bit (and make some YouTube vids of doing it)
Haha - last time I put a dog trap out I caught my own blue dog :(

TMitchell

Occupation
Dog trapper and sheep breeder
Hi Jeembawb,

no I still haven't got it sorted. I have been using it as is, but I have had to put any bigger jobs on the back burner until after the eldest daughters wedding in mid October.:(
Lots of building work to do as she is getting married on our farm.
Would there be any chance of you scanning the manual pages for brake replacement, and maybe emailing it to me? Don't mean to be a PITA......but if you could find the time it would be much appreciated. One of the S-I-L's mates is a diesel fitter and said he would help, but he has never worked on anything so old. :eek:

Ha ha, catching your own dog is a trick I've known of a few blokes to do that. At least you can trap a dog. ;)

Lucky bugger to have three AT7's at your disposal. That will keep you busy for a while.

Cheers,
Ted.

Jeembawb

Hi Jeembawb,

no I still haven't got it sorted. I have been using it as is, but I have had to put any bigger jobs on the back burner until after the eldest daughters wedding in mid October.:(
Lots of building work to do as she is getting married on our farm.
Would there be any chance of you scanning the manual pages for brake replacement, and maybe emailing it to me? Don't mean to be a PITA......but if you could find the time it would be much appreciated. One of the S-I-L's mates is a diesel fitter and said he would help, but he has never worked on anything so old. :eek:

Ha ha, catching your own dog is a trick I've known of a few blokes to do that. At least you can trap a dog. ;)

Lucky bugger to have three AT7's at your disposal. That will keep you busy for a while.

Cheers,
Ted.
Will do Ted - just had a quick look and it doesn't seem like I have scanned the hard copies yet so will dig them out on the weekend and find what you need.

I'll have them scanned by this time next week (I need to force deadlines on myself to get things done :D)

I can't remember way back through this thread if someone talked about brakes so much, but I know nutwood and a few others went into a lot of detail about steering clutches with a lot of pictures which may be helpful seeing as the brakes are right there too ;)

TMitchell

Occupation
You sir, are a bloody champion. ;)

I've had a look through this thread from front to back, and cannot find anything specifically dealing with brakes. As far as I know, they are accessed through the two plates on the back end. Probably an easy job, for someone who has does it a few times. :)

Thanks again Jeembawb. My email address is trappingman@optusnet.com.au
Cheers,
Ted.

Queenslander

Yes, you can split the bands and remove the bottom half through the the rear plates.
Top half has to come out through the plate on the top, so may need to remove fuel tank and seat etc.
Nothing too complicated…just takes a bit of time.

Jeembawb

You sir, are a bloody champion. ;)

I've had a look through this thread from front to back, and cannot find anything specifically dealing with brakes. As far as I know, they are accessed through the two plates on the back end. Probably an easy job, for someone who has does it a few times. :)

Thanks again Jeembawb. My email address is trappingman@optusnet.com.au
Cheers,
Ted.
Had to scape a bit of cockie sh1&% off the old books and will see how many pages I can fit here on one post - just the stuff about brakes from the Instruction manual, the Service manual & the Parts manual.

Will have to do it in a few posts (maybe not the best way of doing it but at least it's here for others' reference :D)

Have fun

Attachments

• 70ciInstructionManualCover.jpg
    70ciInstructionManualCover.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 8
  • BrakesAdjustment_InstructionManual.jpg
    BrakesAdjustment_InstructionManual.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 11

Jeembawb

Part 2 Brakes from Service Manual

Attachments

• 70c_AD7_ServiceManualCover.jpg
    70c_AD7_ServiceManualCover.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Page132_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page132_ServiceManual.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Page133_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page133_ServiceManual.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Page134_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page134_ServiceManual.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 9

Jeembawb

Part 3 Extra info for Brakes from Service Manual

Attachments

• 70c_AD7_ServiceManualCover.jpg
    70c_AD7_ServiceManualCover.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Page97_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page97_ServiceManual.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Page98_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page98_ServiceManual.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Page223_ServiceManual.jpg
    Page223_ServiceManual.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 6

Jeembawb

Part 4 - Parts Manual diagrams

Attachments

• 70ciPartsManualCover.jpg
    70ciPartsManualCover.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PartsDiagram1_Section39.jpg
    PartsDiagram1_Section39.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • PartsDiagram2_Section39.jpg
    PartsDiagram2_Section39.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 3

Jeembawb

Part 5 - Parts Manual part numbers

All posted now

Have Fun

Attachments

• 70ciPartsManualCover.jpg
    70ciPartsManualCover.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Page73_PartsManual.jpg
    Page73_PartsManual.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Page74_PartsManual.jpg
    Page74_PartsManual.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Page75_PartsManual.jpg
    Page75_PartsManual.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

phillip362

Hi, Anyone know of a mobile repair man to work on an old 70CI for the Central West of NSW (Oberon) area?

phillip362

Hi, Anyone know of a mobile repair man to work on an old 70CI in the Central West of NSW (Oberon) area?

TMitchell

Occupation
Geez, it seems like I only get a few days work done with the little AT7 and another problem arises.
Now I seem to have lost power to the RHS drive. Not completely, as after trying it a few times whilst pushing fallen trees, it works intermittently,...somewhat, a little. Not sure if that makes sense but it is difficult to explain.
Anyway, how does the drive actually work on these things? Are they a fluid drive? Could there be a blockage?
Thanks,
Ted.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi Ted - Nope, no fluid drive in the AT7 rear end. The drive goes from a pretty standard countershaft-type transmission, to a bevel gear and pinion underneath the seat area - which changes the drive through 90° to a cross-shaft, which drives a set of RHS and LHS steering clutches.
The drive then goes from the steering clutches, directly to a pinion in the final drive housing, which turns a big bull gear, which is on the same shaft as the sprocket. This makes the sprocket turn, to drive the track.

The problem is almost certainly in the RHS steering clutch. This is a multiple-plate clutch, and when the clutch plates are worn or out of adjustment, they will slip - thus delivering intermittent power to the track.

First off, I would ensure the steering clutches are in proper adjustment. This adjustment is usually outlined in the operators manual, and it usually involves adjusting the steering lever linkages via threads on the rods that disengage the clutches, to ensure that there is a certain amount of free play in the levers before they start to disengage the steering clutches.

If proper adjustment fails to fix the problem, then you're looking at steering clutch overhaul and clutch plate replacement. As you could imagine, this is fairly major surgery, and involves a lot of disassembly.
Cheers, Ron.

Queenslander

Unfortunately, these tractors have a habit of stripping steering clutch plates.
I don’t recall there being any adjustment other than ensuring that the levers are not being obstructed by dirt/twigs at floor level.
There is a valve that can be removed to isolate the steering clutch hyd. system to verify that it is not the cause of your problem.

TMitchell

Occupation
Hi Ron, thankyou very much for the detailed reply to my question.
I am happy to hear that it is most likely the clutches slipping, as it definitely does not seem that it is a mechanical issue, as in some part in the driveline physically broken. It is an intermittent thing. Hence why I thought that there was maybe a fluid issue.
Obviously I will have to lift the floor plate to inspect the adjustment on the shafts (or lack thereof)?
I did tighten up the track on each side the other day, at least that was a simple operation. 5 minutes a side.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Ted, the steering clutches on the Fiat 70CI appear to be operated via a lever-activated hydraulic system, for initial actuation.
There's a master and slave cylinder like a vehicle clutch, which will actuate the steering clutch yoke or collar, to produce clutch disengagement, via another linkage arrangement that's connected to the slave cylinder.
In that linkage arrangement, there should be an adjusting arrangement of some kind - typically, a threaded stud with a locknut.
This mechanism is normally under an inspection plate on top of the steering clutch housing.
You may need to get someone else to operate the steering lever to see what happens during steering clutch disengagement and engagement, and to see what needs to be adjusted.