• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

FH EX136W water issues

Johnny English

Occupation
Contracts manager, Civil Engineering contractor
Our Fiat Hitachi EX135W won't stop blowing water out its overflow. Fitter has been through everything and can't seem to stop it. I know what you'll say, Head Gasket which is what we think. But the fitter is addament the head is ok. Any body else had these troubles or any sudjestions?

Eddiebackblade

Hi Johhny, sorry to hear of your troubles with the Duck. I have always had problems with Hitachi Ducks in summer getting hot, usually a real good clear out of the rad helps but sometimes I've had to keep letting them idle to cool and then carry on whilst praying for colder weather.
Despite all this ill treatment I've never known a head gasket go on one.
Can you just get it pressure tested to confirm the head gasket has gone?

Johnny English

Occupation
It blows its water out the overflow all year round, and the head passed a pressure test with flying colours, but the heater can be tempramental which is also first sign of headgasket. So we just keep putting a litre a day in and keep working.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
hi johnny
Just an idea, but how about by-passing the over flow back into the system some how! not sure of the fh system that well, but if its not over heating i cant see what harm it would do? but like i said just a thought!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Johnny, you put a litre a day into it. Will it take half a litre after half a day, will it take 2 litres after 2 days, does it use more if working hard.
The reason I ask is the father in law ( god rest his sole ) put a half pint of engine oil into his car almost every 2 weeks for over 2 years to keep the level right. I only found out about it when the sister in law inherited the car and asked what was the cheapest oil she could use.
I told her not to add anymore oil, she dipped the oil every day for another two weeks and the level never got any lower.
Why that engine didnt want that extra I dont know but it ran happily with the oil 1/4" off the high mark for years.
I wonder if your cooling system is the same.
Just a thought, is the pressure cap the right one and working properly. Is the overflow from the rad or a header bottle, if from the rad put the pipe into a header bottle and see if it sucks it back when it cools or just keeps dumping it. :drinkup
Is the water pump up to speed, check bearing and belt, she might be over pressurising if getting too hot.

Last edited:

Johnny English

Occupation
Thanks for that atlas rob, the pressure caps we have had problems with as one was wrong and the other the neck was distorted slightly as it has two steel tanks on top of the rad. We got these two caps sorted supposidly and the fitter test run it and said it was cured, but after a week it started again. The driver is a pain for topping everything up every day so our next thought was to try to see how low it went before it stops, if it stops dropping but the driver panics and fills it too soon again, so I have him to square up on that one as well. We have had a new water pump on 18 months ago so it could do with checking incase it is the problem. Thanks for the advice its most appreciated.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Had a similar problem with a digger and after a lot of expense we found the proble

Johnny English

Occupation
No unfortunatly not, he's only been on our duck for 8 months and he's next door to useless, but my dad doesn't have time to drive it anymore. The driver had 20 years on 3CX with us before then and had to have a full 2 week foundation course with CITB to pass the test for 360, and then only just passed. He consults the manual for the correct machine position to chech hydraulic oil, engine oil 1/4 inch over maximum at all times, greased every 25 hours, stabalizers down to use bucket every time. He drives me crazy. But he's all i've got at the minute to drive that machine so I have to grin and bear it!

stock

Occupation
Apologies the booter crashed ayre yesterday and since it got the size 9/ 42 it hangs up or I get a timed out error,any back to business it turned out to bean incorrect rad cap and yes we changed it twice but both times it was a cap with too low a pressure and when we got the genuine one the problem dissapeared

Stock

d4c24a

No unfortunatly not, he's only been on our duck for 8 months and he's next door to useless, but my dad doesn't have time to drive it anymore. The driver had 20 years on 3CX with us before then and had to have a full 2 week foundation course with CITB to pass the test for 360, and then only just passed. He consults the manual for the correct machine position to chech hydraulic oil, engine oil 1/4 inch over maximum at all times, greased every 25 hours, stabalizers down to use bucket every time. He drives me crazy. But he's all i've got at the minute to drive that machine so I have to grin and bear it!

i would think that with todays work situation ,you would not have a problem finding a more suitable operator ,i think robs idea sounds good
cheers graham

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
i would think that with todays work situation ,you would not have a problem finding a more suitable operator ,i think robs idea sounds good
cheers graham

Wooooooooooo back up a bit :) I didnt suggest sacking him :eek: I was picking up on how Stock possibly cured his problem :D

Johnny English

Occupation
He's as safe as houses and would never put anybody in danger, which takes a weight off your mind,you just have to stand the endless wittering day in day out and face fact he's never going to tear trees up and make it have it!

like you say todays drivers need to be safe above all else!

Johnny English

Occupation
Don't worry Rob, stocks suggestion of the different caps is our next line of enquiry along with the water pump, don't think we'd get away with sacking him in this climate anyway. We'd have to relocate his work position to an RB1! (shovel)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm with AtlasRob,
we still haven't been told if the machine has a coolant recovery tank. If it doesn't, I'd be puttin' one one it. And you have to make sure you have a rad cap that's capable of coolant recovery.

Johnny English

Occupation
I'm back at the machine on Monday so I'll have a look at the tank and rad arrangement and let you all know. I know it has a lower steel tank with just a normal cap without a spring and a higher steel tank with a sprung cap and the overflow above the seal under the spring so the spring lets the water into the overflow, so I think the spring is too week in the top cap or the system is over pressurising somehow and forcing the spring up in the cap opening up the overflow.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm not familiar with your machine, but what you describe sounds like a radiator with a header reservoir that's sealed with a cap, and a second reservoir above the rad that's probably connected to it by a hose. The second reservoir has a typical spring cap that vents to a typical overflow tube, and I assume your loosing coolant via the overflow tube. This second tank in a configuration like this "is" the coolant recovery reservoir. If this is something like the arrangement you have, I have a question; with the engine cold, how full do you have the second tank. It's not supposed to be full when cold.

Eddiebackblade

Probably get some stick for this admission, but I am always in the habit of checking the actual water level in the Rad each morning.
I completely ignore the coolant bottle, unless I am doing a service on the machine.
My reasoning is that I drive so many machines of different types and coolant bottle are notoriously dirty stained horrors tucked away under locked panels.
The only exception being Volvo Dumptrucks which always seem clear and reliable in my experience.
I would check the Rad in the morning and let her run a full shift with an eye on the gauge. If the actual rad is just a little fraction down (anything up to around 1" of the top) next day stick with it and keep a good eye on the gauge.
If it settles at that you are OK, any loss where you can see the cores or have to top up and it's Head scratching again!!

Got to feel a bit for your Driver, I've worked with some Operators who are outstanding on most kit but it's the Duck that sorts em all out!!
To be honest the fear comes from the slight nod that then gets exaggerated with fighting against it with the levers.
The other problem most have is steering whilst reversed especially whilst in a confined space.
Hope he sticks with it and grows in confidence, there's nothing like a Duck for a rewarding drive and putting a smile on your face when you know what they are about.

Johnny English

Occupation
Your quite right about the possibilities with the duck, there are a fantastic machine, we've only had one for 2 years, but we'll never be without one now. The driver is scared of the machine, there's too much going on at once, as you mentioned, he can't drive backwards with out going from full lock to full lock on the wheel. Its a real shame, I have a 20 year old lad that did the test with him that drives a 428D with hardly no experience and he blows the main driver out the water, but the young lad is on a job where the foreman won't have anyone else on the 428D, but he is adsolutly fearless on it and very handy. But thats life!

stock

Occupation
yep a good duck driver is worth his weight in gold, and in my career thus far I have only met 4 operators who chould handle a duck to it full potential.

Stock