• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Faun Frisch F85 Grader

Mike grader

Occupation
Grader Driver
I do a lot of work here in the west of Ireland using a Frisch F65 grader. I would like to get a good Faun Frisch F85. The problem is that these machines were fitted with Voith transmissions which were not great. I used to have one back in the 90's. I heard that the later models of these machines were fitted with ZF Transmissions.
Is this true?
If so from what year?
Or from what serial No?

Thanking you in advance Mike

Graderfan1981

Is the engine from Deutz-Diesel? I have a brochure from it, but nothing about the transmission is there named.

Mike grader

Occupation
Grader Driver
Hello Graderfan. Thank you for your response.
Yes the engine is a Deutz, a 5 cylinder 912 if I remember correctly.
In the 70's a voith transmission was fitted which gave up at about 5000hrs.
Its the later life of these graders I know nothing about.

Regards Mike

Super Roel

Hello , I have worked with a few Frisch graders, and I have no trouble with the Voight transmission, only the axle between the engine and the transmission needs some attention from time to time.
Greetings Roel.

Mike grader

Occupation
Grader Driver
Hello Super Roel.
I think this is a particular problem on the F85's. They go soft and had to be returned to Germany for reconditioning. This was the case in the 90's when I bought mine. The one I bought had a reconditioned transmission. It started to go soft after about 4000 hrs. I sold it on and continued on with the F65's

Regards Mike

Super Roel

After the failler of Frisch and Faun started the grader line the F85 is stopped and the F105 was inplace and then the ZF transmission came in. I was a operator on a F75 only the extension cilinder is diverend with yours.

Mike grader

Occupation
Grader Driver
Hello Super Roel.
I think this is a particular problem on the F85's. They go soft and had to be returned to Germany for reconditioning. This was the case in the 90's when I bought mine. The one I bought had a reconditioned transmission. It started to go soft after about 4000 hrs. I sold it on and continued on with the F65's

Regards Mike

Mike grader

Occupation
Grader Driver
Hello Super Roel
Don't know what happened above.

As far as I know the F75 and the F85 were the same except the 85 was artic, and the 85A was 6 wheel drive.
I looked at a F75 in holland in 1993 but purchased the F85A instead on that trip.

How many hours did you put up on the F75, and did it give any trouble?

Super Roel

Hello Mike, the F75 B and the F85 B have the same concept but I worked on a F75 the older model , I only have renowed the coupling in a heavyer F&S . the machine was build in 1964 and in 1973 the machine have about 1200 hours and then i get a brandnew Frisch 115P .