• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fast loading

SVP

Intrested to know the numbers of how many 40T art trucks that a Volvo EC480D crawler can load in 10 hrs. Is it posiable to get 300 trucks if the cycle is next to non stop.????? I assume it will take about 8 buckets to full load.

Just want to know what the numbers would be if it was to work full speed.

:)

Last edited:

390eric

The big thing is is there always going to be a truck there for the hoe to load. Want to have enough trucks the its never waiting for a truck, but not too many that more than one is sitting waiting tobe loaded. At least thats how i feel sure others have their own opinion. And yes dobelieve it can, we can get those numbers out of our 480 with everything at optimal conditions, which rarely happens at my company.

SVP

For 05 KM to dump / 10 KM cycle, what amount of 40T trucks would match a EC480 D. Was thinking about 10 trucks to one excuvator. Is this set up too much?? ( average mining roads, nothing steep. )
There should be a formula to calculate something like this to maximaize capacitiy. This project is a new field for me.

Tks

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Are you talking ADT or road trucks?
5km seem a tad long for ADT and if it in Laos then tyres heating may be an issue. What level of supervision will /do you plan to have? the trick here is to keep the trucks regular and just in time to the excavator. You will also need maintenance on the haul road as well as a dozer at the fill site to keep everything right.
As for the formula not a chance this is one of those exercises that good old experience plays the part, weather, breakdowns ,a puncture at a pinch point of a few no show drivers will screw up the estimated planned time.
At times to many trucks is as bad as too little ............

JDOFMEMI

300 loads is a lot for a 50 ton machine to load. If you have a top notch operator, and easy digging conditions, you may get it from time to time, but I would never count on it.
8 passes is way to many to productively load trucks. If you need that kind of daily production, you need a bigger hoe to load with. If the digging is easy, a bigger bucket on the 480 will help, look for something sized to load in 5 passes, and you will get closer.
I hope your distance is .5 to 1 Km, or you will be killing tires, as Stock mentioned. ADT tires are no good for a long haul in hot weather.

To figure how many trucks, you need to know the travel time, dump time, return time, and load time. remember, load time includes spotting, and is properly counted from when the loaded truck leaves, until the next loaded truck leaves. when you know the true loading time, divide that into the total cycle including the load time. Say 1.5 min load, 3 min haul, 1 min dump, 2 min return. The total in my example is 7.5 min per load. Divide by 1.5 min load, and you get 5. That is how many trucks you need. If it doesn't work out even like my example, and it rarely does, and you get a number like 5.5, then always round up for the trucks needed. This gives you a truck all the time.

Remember the job efficiency. You can never get a job to run 100% production. It just doesn't happen. Things get out of order, drivers stop to take a restroom break, weather plays a part, flat tires, plugged filters, no show operators, sickness, and any number of things go wrong. A good job will run close to 90% of max, and an average is closer to the low 80's. Things like how well the crew works together, how the supervision sets things up, and a number of other things come into play. The biggest of these is the skill of the operator in the production machines.

A big mistake people make is committing to an unrealistic production number based on what is theoretical, but not really likely in the real world.

SVP

Great breakdown, got it and thanks to every reply.
The trucks are Volvo A40Es articulated,

Helpful

stock

Occupation
Then SVP you will need a bigger excavator than the 480 more like a 700me to meet your targets along as all the other criteria mentioned here ............... The haul road will be your biggest issue with out it being properly maintained it will cost you time as the trucks won't be able to travel at a proper speed, 2 the tyres are very scarce and at €5-7000 ea you don't want to be bursting them.

stock

Occupation
Don't over load and keep a grader on your haul road, rocks and ruts will kill the tyres. Keep them properly inflated and get rid of any cowboy drivers..............
I can't stress the importance enough of good haul roads it will make or break the job...
with proper haul roads weather isn't a big issue, the first thing we do here on a muck shift is strip the topsoil and lay a haul road, on the wet days which we have a lot of you can move rock, on the dry days clay..............................

Last edited:

390eric

Man I wish I could come workforsome of you guys. The haul road is so important. I do everything from load trucks, run dozer/ compactor on fill, to drive truck,whatever needes done that day. The job we just finished, had to beg the dozer operator to hit the haul roads just a couple times a day,and they were rutting up bad. Had very low production cause the trucks were running slow, because the roads were so bad, tires were blowing and trucks were breaking,it was kind of a joke. keep asking why we cant get jobs down right, but they always pass up the little things that kill you, like stepping over a quarter to get a penny. Can not stress how important the road is.

SVP

Good point, so i should have a grader and a compact roller over the road as much as possiable. This is kind of a hidden cost for this type of work. We are moving earth, so no rocks is involed. What size crawler would you use?

stock

Occupation
Is there no cobbles in the soil? forget the roller on the roads the dumpers will compact it well enough, blade of the dozer or grader................preferably the grader .......

Crawler for What?

SVP

Crawler / excavator size. And not much cobble in side the soil. More mudy slippery and sticky soil when wet.
Ok, only grader. Noted..

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

I agree with Stock on the importance of the road to the tires, and everything else.

The 700 Volvo is a good machine for that work, if you have a good dealer nearby, and I have gotten 350 load averages with one in what to me is good conditions.

Turbo21835

Tractor and box, its the best way of putting an idiot to work on taking care of the haul roads. While they drag and fill ruts, they are nothing like a grader running down a haul road. It can put a crown to the road like a grader can, so that takes away shedding water from the haul road. It cant windrow wet material off to the side, and then pull it back over the course of a day. It cant stir material into soft areas when you are trying to stiffen it up. All it does, drag dirt, which works on some jobs, but I dont think it could compare to a grader on this proposed job.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Jerry, Stock - great information about production earthmoving.:thumbsup

I have only been involved in real production earth moving a short stint in my career but I was obsessed with making better cycle times and moving more material per day. Very good information, thanks for posting!:drinkup

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
dont forget to read the page in the cat preformance handook that talks about the optimal grade for a corner to be taken by a truck at a given speed. Its page 27-3 in my 38th eddition, also the entire section of tires and production earthmoving would be a good read.

SVP

I didn't want to start a new post because this relates to the same issues here.

I have been looking at many graders since i was recommend by stock and all other members here which i highly thank. As i was shopping around getting information and details, someone i talked to adviced me to go with the wheel loader which would be a better pick than a grader. It would help free up trucks when needed and it could also take care of maintaning the hualed road.

I'd like to know what ppl's experiance about useing the loader instead of the grader for road maintance.

Thanks