• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Farm dozing work liability

D6c10K

I'm doing some dozer work for other farmers (small jobs like fence line clearing & waterway cleaning). How much do I need to worry about liability? What insurance should I have to cover a small owner operator like me doing occasional work?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That may be best offered to a insurer as to a question. I do no contract work with my machine as I cannot afford any form of contractors liability, not even as a favor to neighbors as this can be considered as business not personal use.

Ct Farmer

Barter, at most, for us. Liability insurance is just too high for any type of contract work. Also with farm plates we are not allowed to haul anything "for hire". In addition we have found that nice guys finish last so even favors are avoided except to only the most trusted folks. People are sue happy around here. There is also the tax question of the income - is it custom work or a seperate business?

Best to talk to your insurance agent and tax man.

D6c10K

I'm not running farm plates on the truck...."regular" registration so I'm good anywhere in the state. Liability ins on the truck is inexpensive if it's low miles and not for hire. Truck registration wasn't too bad because, in Iowa at least, when hauling "special mobile equipment"....(tractors, construction equip, etc) you only have to license it for weight of truck & trailer....not gross weight. That saved me $1000 on registration.

Not sure if it matters if it's considered custom work or separate business.....all done under my personal taxes.

I was more interested in some type of liability ins. while dozing on someone else's property. For example, if I should damage something, someone climbs on my dozer,falls off and gets hurt, or if I hit a buried utility that wasn't marked or they forgot to tell me about. I'm guessing a lot of small time operators like me don't bother with insurance, but I hate to risk my farm on it. Just curious what others have done to cover themselves.

oldirt

whatever you do make sure you always call for utility locate and wait the two working days to dig. sounds like you are getting some work, liability ins. might be a good idea. I do know contractors that never have carried it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
That's the thing. You can take the risk, but there is always what if. Property damage, injury, utilities, environmental, and my favorite, " Yes, that is all my property" only to find out you're way over the line. We did a little job for a woman, she was the sweetest old lady, home made doughnuts and coffee at break time, lemonade at noon. One of the boys picked up an old shovel leaning on the barn. The handle fell apart, so we left her a brand new one. She called the office, sweet as pie. Lawyer called a week later shovel was her father's, only thing she had left of his. Could have left her the grader and it would have been cheaper.

Hobbytime

get enough insurance in the amount of what all your assets are...thats a minimum to start at...

CatToy

I tried doing what you are talking about. Cheapest contractor insurance I could find for digging in the ground was about 6k per year which would be about break even for the work I would consider doing. You can find landscaper insurance a lot cheaper but you are not allowed to dig deeper than 4" in the ground with the companies I shopped with. My farm insurance covered me if the work was in support of my operation but not work for others.

If you have nothing to lose, then go for it without insurance. It was not worth it to me for the little amount of money involved.

I had my lawyer draft a release of liability for any "volunteer" work I do for family and the few neighbors I help. I even made my own mother sign one when I graded her lot for a new house she wanted.

Ct Farmer

It is your risk to take or not. I have had several businesses that required liability insurance. First, when we retail farmed we carried a policy that covered the people who came here. Needed it twice. One was a slip and fall in a field in the winter picking a christmas tree. She had high heels on. Still, our policy paid. Other, idiot broke his car window, was covered. I had a retail store for 10 years my agent advised me to buy 'no fault' insurance. We called it oops insurance. For example if you smashed you finger in your car door my insurance covered it. Was good P.R. to keep the lawyers away.

We did custom tree spade work for years. Became too much of a risk. Being on the road, property line disputes and utilities.

Lastly I managed a multi-million dollar service firm doing work in very upscale places. I was in charge of insurance. We had millions on our polices. Covered everything. We took no risks but paid 60k a year in premium.

As others have said, it is the what if. Recently, a friend doing commercial excavating had utilities marked by CBYD and still hit a gas line. They marked it in the wrong place. Guess who was liable?

So how much are you willing to risk for the work?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'm going to tell it like it is - if you're going to be in business you need to be in business and that includes being properly insured.

If you want to do side jobs and pick up the extra cash then it's a risk vs reward question. How much risk are you willing to accept for the revenue from the jobs?

Insurance policies and cost for earthwork vary widely. Go see a local agent and see what the costs are for what you want to do.

Dickjr.

I carry 500k and its about 500$ a year. I would not feel comfortable without it. In the case of a higher limits I can add to my policy to cover what's required. For me to do a half mill in damage is possible but unlikely. Fibers are the ones that will get you. I have had mismarked utilities and cut lines before, I was not held liable for a wrongly marked line.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I'm not running farm plates on the truck...."regular" registration so I'm good anywhere in the state. Liability ins on the truck is inexpensive if it's low miles and not for hire. Truck registration wasn't too bad because, in Iowa at least, when hauling "special mobile equipment"....(tractors, construction equip, etc) you only have to license it for weight of truck & trailer....not gross weight. That saved me $1000 on registration.

Not sure if it matters if it's considered custom work or separate business.....all done under my personal taxes.

I was more interested in some type of liability ins. while dozing on someone else's property. For example, if I should damage something, someone climbs on my dozer,falls off and gets hurt, or if I hit a buried utility that wasn't marked or they forgot to tell me about. I'm guessing a lot of small time operators like me don't bother with insurance, but I hate to risk my farm on it. Just curious what others have done to cover themselves.

Am having issue trying to wrap my head around that. In all the states I have lived and worked(11) if you cross a scale or get tagged by portables you better have plates that cover the weight in total of the truck, trailer, load. Never heard of exemption of load as to weight plates, are you certain they did not mean 'Vehicle Gross Weight RATING'?

check

It seems like the purpose of insurance is to keep the little guy out of business and make lawyers and professional victims a lot of money.

D6c10K

DMiller,
I had two different Dot officers tell me I could register it for weight of truck & trailer only. Apparently it's an Iowa only rule but it only applies for hauling your own equipment and can't be hauling for hire.

Quoted from Iowa Truck Information Guide:
Special mobile equipment (SME)private carriers Owned or leased SME may be excluded from the gross registration weight when transported on trucks or truck-tractor/semitrailers of a private carrier. The truck or truck-tractor registration–at minimum–must register for the weight of the combination (truck or truck-tractor, trailer or semitrailer, and any nonSME load). This exception applies to vehicles within legal dimensions and also those exceeding legal dimensions operated with an oversize permit. The SME exception does not apply outside the state of Iowa. For-hire carriers may not claim the SME exception and must register for combined gross weight. Example: A construction company is transporting their bulldozer with a truck-tractor/semitrailer and has a gross weight of 80,000 pounds. If the SME bulldozer weighs 38,000 pounds, this weight may be subtracted from the 80,000 pound gross weight for determining the minimum required registration weight (80,000 – 38,000 = 42,000). The truck-tractor must have at least 42,000 pounds of registration weight, including tolerance. A 20-ton (40,000 pounds) license with 5 percent tolerance (2,000 pounds) will meet the required 42,000 pound registration weight (40,000 x 5% = 2,000 + 40,000 = 42,000).

Special mobile equipment (SME) – general information SME can be hauled, towed or self-propelled equipment or vehicles that are not designed or used primarily on highways for the transportation of persons or property. SME is operated or moved over the highways incidental to its primary off-road purpose. SME is exempt from registration. SME plates and certificates are no longer issued and not required for a vehicle to receive SME exceptions. Examples of SME include bulldozers, end loaders, cranes, and some truckmounted vehicles. The Iowa DOT’s Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services has a list of equipment that qualifies as SME. Contact that office at 515-237-3264 if you have questions regarding SMEs. SME operated in interstate commerce are subject to the same regulations as any commercial vehicle. Some intrastate exceptions exist for SME. Contact the Iowa DOT’s Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement at 515-237-3305 for more information. Drivers of truck-mounted, self-propelled SME are subject to commercial driver licensing and company-based drug and alcohol testing, as required by state and federal law.

DPete

There are probably small jobs that have little or no risk but you are leaving yourself wide open without insurance. Like driving without insurance, you might get by with it but it's not worth the risk.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It seems like the purpose of insurance is to keep the little guy out of business and make lawyers and professional victims a lot of money.

Yes that is the way it is. The system is set up in a way that everyone gets their cheese.

The cost of insurance is figured into my pricing. I can't change the system, only learn to play by it's rules and charge accordingly and make a buck or two along the way.

td25c

Sometimes it works like that .

Then again if a little guy is just starting out & has no assets . Why worry about the insurance unless the customer demands it ?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Am having issue trying to wrap my head around that. In all the states I have lived and worked(11) if you cross a scale or get tagged by portables you better have plates that cover the weight in total of the truck, trailer, load. Never heard of exemption of load as to weight plates, are you certain they did not mean 'Vehicle Gross Weight RATING'?

In MN the DOT is writing tickets for "uninsured" if you get caught overweight and you are insured only for the vehicle gross weight. Most of the log trucks here are now carrying insurance coverage over and beyond there gross license weight. I mentioned this it to a CA friend whom had just got a new 9 axle rig. He contacted his insurance carrier found he was not covered on his construction company's fleet insurance for the extra weight. He ended up raising his limit. To be insured for empty truck weigh may be legal but sounds like a real liability issue to me also.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My biggest fear would be injuries and being sued. Car insurance liability minimum is 1 million bucks. I always went with the minimum. My wife's 18 year old son took my Mustang GT and put it over an embankment, just inches away from 80 feet of water. He was fine, but he had a 16 and a 17 year old girls with him. They all walked away, but a few weeks later my insurance information me that the 16 year old is showing signs of PTSD. My million dollar minimum did not cover it, and 4 years later I or should I say her son is still paying for it. So you never know.