• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

F800 dump truck

buddie

I have a 1987 Ford F800 dump truck, 5 speed. Just had engine rebuilt. My problem is with the transmission. I only use the truck onsite work. The transmission will continuously lock up and I have to remove the gear shift in the floor and line up the gears again in order to get the gear shift back in place. Works ok for a few minutes and does same thing again. Truck will not move in either direction. Clutch is very hard to push. Is this problem in the gear shift?
Would appreciate any help with this problem

Warm regards,
Ron

lantraxco

Either that or the loose knob holding the gear shift. Make sure the shifter rails have solid feeling detents and lock in neutral without a lot of slop back and forth, make sure the shift lever doesn't rotate in the housing, there should be a pin that sits in a groove, and a spring most likely to hold the ball down. Also check that the shift forks are tight and not sliding or wiggling on the rods. There should be an interlock pin in there between the rails that is supposed to prevent being in two gears at once, sounds like that maybe the problem.

When things get old and worn you have to be more deliberate in shifting, making sure you find neutral exactly before moving the shifter sideways to move from one rail notch to the other, like for the 2-3 shift.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Possible motor or tranny mounts broke binding the clutch and forcing shifts with pressure on the gears? Also could have the bottom end of the shift lever worn down. Some have a litle knob at the bottom that wears off after a million shifts and much vibration. We welded one up and reground the ball on a 87 International. The gears would not go in all the way in every time either with the ball worn. Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

buddie

Either that or the loose knob holding the gear shift. Make sure the shifter rails have solid feeling detents and lock in neutral without a lot of slop back and forth, make sure the shift lever doesn't rotate in the housing, there should be a pin that sits in a groove, and a spring most likely to hold the ball down. Also check that the shift forks are tight and not sliding or wiggling on the rods. There should be an interlock pin in there between the rails that is supposed to prevent being in two gears at once, sounds like that maybe the problem.

When things get old and worn you have to be more deliberate in shifting, making sure you find neutral exactly before moving the shifter sideways to move from one rail notch to the other, like for the 2-3 shift.

Thanks for your reply. Could it be that the forks at the end of the gear shift are worn too much and not long enough. Would it be advisable to maybe order another gear shifter, if available, and compare. Someone suggested welding a piece on the shifter. I'm not sure what they meant.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Are you speaking about the ball at the end of the gear shift? The one that the spring holds the ball of the shifter in?

If you lift the shift lever out of the transmission the very bottom of the lever is often worn from use and vibration affecting the shifting. The bottom 3/8 inch or so is typically machined to look like a small oblong ball a bit bigger than the bottom end of the shifter shaft. The hard part is having a good one to compare the wear to.

A few pictures with the shifter off showing the components would help. So many different trannys were used yours may be different than what I am discribing.

Last edited:

buddie

I sent you a picture of the end of the gear shift and the top of the transmission where it sits. Let me know if you received.

buddie

I sent you a pic of the gear shifter end and also the top of the transmission where it sits. Please let me know if you rec'd.
Ron