• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EXTREME Volvo

BritFitter

In the uk graders are very thin on the ground.we had an aveling barford for a while but was old and unreliable and didn't have anyone who was intrested in operating.so it's good to see these pics because I never see graders on site and if I do see them there parked up in yards collecting dust!

Hugh

Rowdy16

Occupation
operator
When I was young and green I did what that guy in the video did. And more.:eek:

Yes I tipped it over.

But it was a rental, and because I was articulated the wrong way (like the Youtube guy) it did little damage. It landed on the top of the front tire, top of the cab, and the ripper block. After my lecture I think it made me a better operator. Now I know exactly where the tipping point is.:beatsme

Grader4me

Welcome to the forum Rowdy16! Hard way to find the tipping point..lol. I've been very very close, but have never gone over..Yes, we do learn from our mistakes..that's what makes a good operator..

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Wow. Another reasons graders are so darn awesome (and far beyond what I'm able to understand mechanically). :)

ronnie

the man on the volvo ain't no rookie see the way he has the azz end of the grader goin in the direction he needs it to be inline with the toe of the slope and he'e rollin the dirt down the slope not tryin to push it out it not tryin to be a smart azz but it's all in know how

snapfruzen

Occupation
Grader since 1976,working at a coal mine with scra
I agree with Ronnie. Notice he has blade sticking out the bottom side of the machine. If you keep a bit of blade out the lower side and on the ground, you're pretty safe. If you look close, you'll see that it is rocks that are giving him a bad time, when the heel hooks a rock it digs in and lifts the toe off the ground. He then has to carefully lift the heel to lift the rock out or lift over it. If you get all fancy smancy and shift everything out to the high side and articulate down the slope, when you hit a rock and it stands up under your blade, bye bye. A guy I used to work for did just this.

Aardvark

Knows his ?hit

Nice vid Pullpan.
Not much seat time in a grader myself, but it looks to me like the guys a gun.
Pushing the boundarys but he had it under control and didn't roll it.
You normally know if a guys any good after watching him for a little while, don't even have to speak to 'em it's just obvious.
Like clint says " mans gotta know his limitations ". :notworthy

upbrakie

Wish I could have gotten a picture but I saw a JD grader doing the same thing that the Volvo is doing when they widened I-70 in NE KS a few years ago. I was pretty impressed.

Kman9090

Well I decided to go out and try it myself on the M blade. Really wasn't as hard as I thought would be. It doesn't look that steep but it's actually about a 1.5:1 slope. A D8 couln't stay on it.

mblade2.jpg

Mblade.jpg

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
Sometimes I find it necessary to use Randy Krieg's trick. Sticking a scarifier tooth in the front oscillation joint between the axle and the stop block so that the hanging tire is higher. Therefore the frame of the machine is higher and more cylinder extension is possible. Sometimes if I need to retreive some material off a 2:1 fill slope that I cant put as tire on I need more room so I don't top out the lift cylinders. Real motor grader men should know what I'm talking about. It does catch some folks eyes! I just do whatever it takes to get it done right.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
im not a pro blade man but if that was me i would have my back end on the bottom side of my windrow pushing my front end up the hill . so if i get into trouble i can back safely down the slope and putting myself in a better position to grade in

Kman9090

My back end was on the bottom side of my windrow. I could of easily backed out of trouble. Actually had to a few times to get into that position.