• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Experience with a 1973 case 450 loader

Cumminsguy441

My Dad bought a 1973 case 450 track loader. It has the case 188 engine. When he brought it home from the auction the transmission was low on oil. I'm wondering if it has been over heated and damaged. Now I have filled it and ran it. In low gear it has lots of power and no problems. In high gear it lugged down but still climbed a 7% grade hill. I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade but don't have a lot of experience with older machines. I'm wanting to talk to someone who has experience with this unit or has ran them to tell me if that's normal or what to expect from the machine in high gear. I don't want to continue with other repairs on this machine if the trans is damaged.
Thanks.

Edit. Sorry I see I posted in wheel loaders. I meant to hit track loaders. Not sure how to change it.

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
My Dad bought a 1973 case 450 track loader. It has the case 188 engine. When he brought it home from the auction the transmission was low on oil. I'm wondering if it has been over heated and damaged. Now I have filled it and ran it. In low gear it has lots of power and no problems. In high gear it lugged down but still climbed a 7% grade hill. I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade but don't have a lot of experience with older machines. I'm wanting to talk to someone who has experience with this unit or has ran them to tell me if that's normal or what to expect from the machine in high gear. I don't want to continue with other repairs on this machine if the trans is damaged.
Thanks.

Edit. Sorry I see I posted in wheel loaders. I meant to hit track loaders. Not sure how to change it.
How does it feel when you load the bucket? Does the hi-low range shifter work and does the pressure stay up in the gauge.

Cumminsguy441

I called case and got the procedure for shifting from high to low and you can not do it without shutting off the machine. It just grinds. The bucket has lots of power. Lifted the machine when it was frozen into the ground. The pressure gauge seems to be working and pressures changing correctly with gear changes. The oil does seem to be burnt in appearance and smell.
And how do I change the category?
Thanks.