• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator Tree Puller

grandpa

Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes and attachment for an excavator that will pull trees stumps and all? I got a 35 acre job coming in the pipeline and the owner wants the trees all pulled, piled and burned. Most of the the trees are less than 8" dia.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I guess the first thing you should let us know what size excavator you are planning to use …… as stumpjumper posted a 10-20tonne will do it, even with out a thumb (with a thumb is better to bash out the extra dirt and hoe-chuck-it) ……. an 8" stump is a piece of **** for my 'ol 312 Cat … I only wish that most of the time they were that small …. LOL

grandpa

Yup Cm.... that's about what im looking for.... too bad there were no close up photo's,,, I'd rather buy than build tho as I have plenty of other things to be doing.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
Ive got a clearing rake on a ED180 kobelco that work's great for the smaller trees you can reach out and stick tree between fingers and dig in behind stump it will pluck out stump and all. Those smaller dia. scrub trees are a pain because they normally break off any other way then you are fighting with that small stump that you can't get a hold of

td25c

Anybody know of a manufacturer that makes and attachment for an excavator that will pull trees stumps and all? I got a 35 acre job coming in the pipeline and the owner wants the trees all pulled, piled and burned. Most of the the trees are less than 8" dia.

This company might have something for an excavator . Don't know what you have in mind ? Some kind of shear / grapple combination ?

http://www.wagway.com/static/about-wagway.html

I take it the trees are pretty thick being most are less then 8" in diameter .

lumberjack

I was thinking bucket and thumb also. I don't think a grapple would be much faster. A tool to pop them out would still require piling them into burn piles.

grandpa

Trees are pine thicker than hair on a dogs back.. I have a tree puller attachment for my 267B that handles the smaller trees,,, but I need something more bada** than that for the excavator.

grandpa

I want something that can clamp low on the trunk, and not have to reach over and break any branches off.

I have D8's and 7's but they break the crap out of things too. After the trees are pulled and burnt, then I run over it with a Cat rm500 reclaimer. Its then ready to plant a crop . What Im trying to avoid are the little sticks,, .

td25c

I want something that can clamp low on the trunk, and not have to reach over and break any branches off.

I have D8's and 7's but they break the crap out of things too. After the trees are pulled and burnt, then I run over it with a Cat rm500 reclaimer. Its then ready to plant a crop . What Im trying to avoid are the little sticks,, .

Understand grandpa but why the big deal over little sticks ? No till planters & drills roll rite over them . After a few seasons they get chopped up with tillage tools and rot & mix in the soil .

grandpa

Its about the customer. I've cleared over 5,000 acres for him TD. He wants what he wants and the pay is Better than gov. checks. Know what I mean?

td25c

Affirmative grandpa .

Have to give the customer what they want or at least make your best effort .

So the plan is pluck the trees in somewhat of a small perimeter and have a series of smaller burn piles to help keep down on mixing trash in to soil ?

grandpa

That's about what im needing stump... don't know if I'd need rotating head,,, but its a start.

Yes TD if figure I could walk thru picking everything in reach placing it behind me in a windrow,, then move over and go back pulling everything again as long as I can still throw it on the windrow.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The little sticks are tough not to get. I've never used a rake on a dozer to clean up. The grading bar on a ctl is awesome for picking out the trash and leaving dirt. Then what do you do with it? The thing with the hoe is you can get the stump and trunk out easily and fast. Pick it up, spin around and stack for the loader with forks and top clamp to carry away. Or hire a harvester, toss it in the chipper and send it to a power plant or mill for fuel. Then grub the stumps with no leverage. You can thumb a few smaller branches in the bucket and "sweep" as you go, works good.