• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excavator of your choice

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
What RED BANK said, ... who in your area has a good dealership parts and service to offer after the sale goes a long ways. Just remember, man made it, man will break it and it will take man to repair it.........

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Dealer support should be #1 when buying equipment. It plays less of a role when you get to the point of having in-house mechanics, at that point you're fixing all your own stuff anyway. You could have the best hoe around but it's not worth much if it goes down and takes considerable amounts of time to get it running again because your dealer is tough to deal with on parts, service, etc.. I like Hitachi hoes best, followed by Cat, then Komatsu, Kobelco, and Case/Linkbelt.

Dealer support, features, and price, in that order, are what I'd look at when comparing equipment.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I tended to run CASE excavators when I needed to rent and when it came time to buy a 160 sized machine I bought a CASE. I still have it, 8000 hours and yet it is still tight and runs well. It runs a little warm on hot days but other than it it just digs holes. There might be better hoes out there but when it comes to actual value I think they are hard to beat. I get treated well by the CASE dealer so it is for me a win-win deal. Great machine and great support.

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
Just get a damn Deere 160 and call it a day.

Those smart cars a cool, I would love to put a bottle rocket on one and drag race it.

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Can you even fit in the car being 6'4"? They are like a golf cart with a cab:pointhead

It is not a golf cart with a cab..... golf carts are actually cool. Yeah I fit in it fine, I liked that car, it was easy on fuel and fit anywhere. Now she has an Audi TT..... way more fun, more comfortable and a little bit faster.

As for Excavators, Deere builds a great machine, second on my list is Link Belt. Their dealer network isn't as large as the Deere network, but they build a sexy little hoe.