• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator mounted Wood Splitter

cdm123

Split a bunch of wood once with the jack hammer on the bobcat... looked like a herd of elephants walked threw but worked great lol.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Nice!! Billdog350, what size cylinder did you go with? It looks like the cycle time wasn't too slow, was the one big round just to knotty to get through or some other reason it wouldn't split it?

Billdog350

Hi Ronsii, my excavator has a 15.4 gpm flow which is similar to the high volume side of most log splitters so cycle time is great. The whole splitter was already premade setup, I think its an american splitter, and I think its a 5" cylinder but I can measure and confirm. The big log I have no idea why it stalled, seemed knotty. I have split larger logs and it went though everything without even hesitating. That was the first log that has stalled it, but I will check my gas splitter against it and see if that can split it or not. the excavator is set to ~3000psi so its going to be similar to any gas splitter.

bmckenzie

Occupation
self employed
nice job, did you use quick connects off of your thumb circuit ? and now that you have used it a while would you do any thing different with the angle that the wain -roy couple is attached to the splitter. As you may have guessed I have wanted to do this same thing for my tb-135 for some time now. Most of my firewood is black oak and doug fir, I assume that the thumb circuit has enough psi to do the job ? or did you use the bucket cly circuit?

Billdog350

BMCKENZIE, the splitter works great, I think the coupler is welded at a good location because I can curl the bucket all the way back and it will flip the splitter "right side up" for normal splitting, or I can use it inverted to grab and split larger logs. The Aux circuit on the TB125 is factory set at ~3000psi, which is similar to most log splitters so it has plenty of power. I have found sometimes the detent seems to pop on a big log but if I try a few times, it will split it anyway. I haven't had a chance to test my hydraulics, the detent might be popping early. I have it plumbed into the thumb circuit, and definitely need the curl still working since I use that to help position the splitter and also to "shake" the log off the splitter once its split.