• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator 345D L CAT overheating problem

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
Hello everyone,
I’m new here, so I’ll get straight to the point,

I have an excavator 345D L CAT 2012 that is overheating for unknown reasons, so I’m gonna state what I did to solve this issue but nothing worked.

1- full service all filters, oils , coolant, and even in tank filters hyd.
2- replaced thermostat for coolant also tried removing it completely.
3- replaced temperature sensor.
4- serviced oil coolers.
5- replaced pre-cleaner due to damage
6- uninstalled radiator chips and fully serviced them.
7- replaced waterpump also was degrading.

Hopefully I didn’t forget any thing,
The temperature for the engine reached 98 celsius = 208 F
Everything in the equipment is functioning properly, whether it’s the torque or movement all is well.

Also there’s no bubbles in the radiator

I’m trying to eliminate every possible reason before i can confirm if there is something with the engine itself.

i’d appreciate your help, and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

thanks

Acecadet

Is the waste gate on the turbo functioning properly? Could anything be partially blocking the exhaust? Is the cooling fan in good shape? In my experience removing a thermostat never helped with overheating, the coolant usually flows too fast to cool off in the radiator.

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
Will check the exhaust now and reply to you, the cooling fan is in perfect condition as well as the fan motor, will check the related valves tho as I’m noticing the hi-speed & low-speed for the fan is a bit odd (slight difference), and also get back to you.

thank you for your feed back I really appreciate it

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
The problem is some of these engines run a 98 deg C thermostat (a s/n would confirm). By the time the thermostat's fully open it's already running too hot in my opinion, that's emissions regulations for you. I have lots of questions but here's my shortlist:

- When you say it's overheating, what is it actually doing? Event alert on the monitor or losing coolant or both?
- Noticed you're in Saudi Arabia. How hot does it get there this time of year?
- When it began overheating, did anything else change such as the job site? Operator? Summer?
- Coolant temp sensor reading correctly?
- Pressure tested whole cooling system?
- Fan speed RPMs?
- How's the cowling around the radiator, in good shape?
- Blowing any more smoke from the exhaust then usual? From cold start and while operating. If so what colour?
- Exhaust temps at the manifold with an infrared gun. Any significantly hotter than others?
- Ace mentioned above checking exhaust for restriction. Checking boost pressure at low and high idle is a good start.
- Sample coolant and engine oil.
- Post a serial number which helps us help you.

The last overheating D series HEX I troubleshooted was partly caused by reman injectors and a different operator.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How many hours are on the machine?

Don't forget about checking the performance of the hydraulic system. Boom up cycle times can tell you if the hydraulics are working the engine harder as time has gone by. How about hydraulic leaks? Are the boom cylinders leaking at the pickings?

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
Is the waste gate on the turbo functioning properly? Could anything be partially blocking the exhaust? Is the cooling fan in good shape? In my experience removing a thermostat never helped with overheating, the coolant usually flows too fast to cool off in the radiator.
just checked the turbo it's in good condition, as well as the exhaust nothing is blocked, you're right.

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
Have you checked the fan speed? I have seen less than 100 rpm’s low cause issues on other equipment.
yh checked it, previously it wasn't showing any rpm, then I replaced it, and if i remember correctly it was 638rpm & tested still overheating. thanks for your reply.

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
The problem is some of these engines run a 98 deg C thermostat (a s/n would confirm). By the time the thermostat's fully open it's already running too hot in my opinion, that's emissions regulations for you. I have lots of questions but here's my shortlist:

- When you say it's overheating, what is it actually doing? Event alert on the monitor or losing coolant or both?
- Noticed you're in Saudi Arabia. How hot does it get there this time of year?
- When it began overheating, did anything else change such as the job site? Operator? Summer?
- Coolant temp sensor reading correctly?
- Pressure tested whole cooling system?
- Fan speed RPMs?
- How's the cowling around the radiator, in good shape?
- Blowing any more smoke from the exhaust then usual? From cold start and while operating. If so what colour?
- Exhaust temps at the manifold with an infrared gun. Any significantly hotter than others?
- Ace mentioned above checking exhaust for restriction. Checking boost pressure at low and high idle is a good start.
- Sample coolant and engine oil.
- Post a serial number which helps us help you.

The last overheating D series HEX I troubleshooted was partly caused by reman injectors and a different operator.

Hey man, thanks for your reply
- EXCAVATOR CRAWLER - CATERPILLAR - SER # YEE00448
- it heats after approx. 30min of working, the temp. reached 98C out of 110, the last straw of the green indicator of engine temp. no alert no nothing, however, same equipment different one normally would reach 70-80C in the most harsh operating conditions.
- it's mostly hot in saudi arabia, nowadays it's 30 to 35C or 76F to 90Fm not a problem as these equipment used to function proberlly in the summer which reaches 50C, extremelly hot.
- yes the coolant temp. is reading correctly, checked it twice even replaced it & tried different methods still gives me the same number 98C after 30min of operation.
- no I didn't test the pressure of the cooling system, however tried removing the radiator cap and tested & still.
- fan speed RPM, tested was malfunctioning & replaced it (638RPM if i remember correclty).
- prefect.
- no just the normal smoke at the beggining & then nothing.
- no, normal temp, just tested after reading your reply.
- yh, after ace's reply I went to check and it's all good.
- didn't sample, might do it now, I'm afraid if it's the engine cylinder liners.
- SER # YEE00448

quick info, the equipment was stationary in the warehuse under sun for about 1 year, found that the electricity wires were melted due to the exterem heat & fixed the issue, also replaced the injectors after inspecting them, as well as fully serviced the machine.

thank you for your questiones, really great.

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
Just found out that removing the ac compressor, makes the heating problem disappear like it was never there, overloading the engine?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Sorry for the late reply.

Just found out that removing the ac compressor, makes the heating problem disappear like it was never there, overloading the engine?
Does the compressor pulley free-spin with the belt removed? If so you should simulate the same test simply by turning the A/C off. When running you should also hear the compressor cut in and out.

- To go any further down the troubleshooting path you really need to pressure test the system.
- Engine off, listen in on the exhaust and intake, engine running, watch for fluctuating pressure more than 1.5 psi or so.
- Engine off, how long does it hold pressure for? External leaks?
- We would also need to know your boost pressures, both at low idle no load and at high idle, maximum possible load on the engine (jam bucket into the ground and try to slew), a/c on, all lights on, etc, etc.
- Fan speed has two settings, minimum and maximum, be sure that they're both set correctly...
upload_2023-2-20_21-15-2.png
If the correct thermostat is installed it's fully open at 92 deg C, so any radiator efficiency/temperature checks need to be done with the upper radiator tank above that temp, which shouldn't be hard for you, but worth mentioning.
- John C also mentioned excessive load from the hydraulics. Some pressure checks are required if not resolved yet. Boost pressures could give us some idea also.

Did you end up replacing the a/c compressor or are you still troubleshooting?

Last edited:

HussainBl

Occupation
Senior O&M Engineer
[/QUOTE]
If the correct thermostat is installed it's fully open at 92 deg C, so any radiator efficiency/temperature checks need to be done with the upper radiator tank above that temp, which shouldn't be hard for you, but worth mentioning.

[/QUOTE]

it’s the thermostat.

I replaced it because the previous one was damaged, a few days ago I decided to check it again (the new one) I read in the manufacturer manual as you stated at 92C the thermostat opens, when I checked the new one I replaced earlier (CTP), it was also damaged, as soon as I replaced it again, it went down to the normal temperature and I’ve been testing the equipment for few days now and it’s perfect.

thank you for helping me chrisso, I really appreciate it man.