• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Events on 4th July!

MX45

G'day,

Decided after partly cleaning up years of disorder in my shed to just have a look at how hard it would be to move my new, second hand, lathe off the pallet and on to the floor of the shed. A matter of a few inches in height and a few feet sideways. So I got on the heavy end and lifted and it slid on the pallet top and I had it part over the edge of the pallet. I thought to myself at 62 I was able to handle this. Unfortunately that brain disengagement came at a cascade of costs. So I heaved and it turned to the side coming off the pallet OK but the bottom must have caught the middle timber and it tilted. Did I mention it was heavy? Yep - totaled the spare timber stand on the way down and made a noise that woke the family knowing I had met grief!

So not much time until rain and Sunset!!!!!!!!!! Went and got the chain and block to lift - knocked the tape measure off its little table and it went to pieces!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well. Went and got the Mini Exc and trundled around and managed to get the boom inside the shed to lift the lathe backup. No there was no way of lifting it really any other way. Besides oil was spilling out from the horizontal angle and who knows what other damage I had done.

So with lifting strap - I had thought of this before but thought I would save time and I had moved it a distance by strength alone. I clearly underestimated how little tilt it took to have this thing go awry. Managed to get it back up and had to very gently put it back down and nudge it away from first contact as it was still unsteady. Certainly any thought of not having it bolted down when settled in its place has truly passed.

So I went to take the mini back to the shed. What is that fluid coming out the bottom of the mini all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some further stress molecules were released and I popped the rear hood and poked around. No fluid when off but copious amounts when running. Found it - diesel coming from a filter assembly with the presumingly press fitted alloy insert still tight to the hose but not connected to the filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went and observed the carnage. Broke the mount for the elec motor and the belt drive on the lathe is - well I will need some advice on welding castings soon? Also broke a handle off the other end but that should not be so heart breaking to repair.

How was your 4th of July?

Should have picked the citrus fruit like I had planned but my few remaining male hormones took control.

Hope tomorrow is different/better, no complaints just feeling less than 'good',

Regards, MX45

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
How was your 4th of July?

Well, on this side of the world I'm just getting ready to make a late-ish breakfast for the family, so there hasn't been time for any disasters. Yet. :)

hetkind

Due to the long holiday weekend, all tools and equipment have been put up aside from a chain saw to clear a fallen branch (damaged the debris on the scrap metal pile) and took the motorcycles out for a spin.

Sorry to hear about the damaged lathe...welding cast iron castings require special rod.

Howard

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I went and bought a trailer tire {119.00** for my burnt-up pontoon boat that's been sitting in the yard for 1.5 years..
The grass and shrubs are covering the trailer.. Got out there this A.M. and "tried" to jack it up..
After the jack sank into the dirt about 1000 x, I managed to get 3 blocks under the axle..
I got over-heated,, a 1 hr job turned into 3 1/2 and I think I lost about 10lbs in sweat..
I never did get it changed.. its still about 98* at 4:20pm.. I think I'll wait till the sun goes down alittle, before I try again.. :mad: