• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

cfherrman

Not sure on the batt life but I did watch their video where there were driving a fully loaded truck on the hills, was pretty epic. A 600 kw motor is also a 600 kw brake.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Could be a good advantage on a logging truck since you're usually running up the mountain empty and coming down loaded.

My concern would be the mud and all the water required to clean off all that mud. Heading in to spring breakup that mud gets axle deep and it covers everything.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Do not see that functioning all that well in Greater US NW or the Central Ozarks hilly regions, not long enough Downgrade braking regen where uphill battles remove battery life quickly.

cfherrman

I can't remember their pitch on batt life, the batteries are hot swappable by fork lift and are huge, take up the underside below the cab on both sides.

I don't think I'd use it for logging unless you leave the shop and go pick up the logs and deliver and then come back to the shop.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
I think the battery life on some of the Janus trucks was around 500 km which is a decent distance on logging roads in Australia. Contrary to what was seen on the video, most of the logging areas in Australia are in mountainous country with some very basic roads. Lots of regen opportunity.
Most logging operations don't operate when it's too wet. Just cuts up roads and logging sites which then have to be resheeted with roadbase/gravel and rehabilitated. So mud wouldn't be much of an issue.

And yes, the batteries are hot swappable in minutes and the savings in fuel costs are substantial. In Australian regional areas diesel is expensive. Around $9 Australian per gallon.
The horsepower and torque on these electric trucks would put the low powered US trucks to shame ;)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Question, are these using Commercial truck Tirs or as with Tesla and the associated Electric only vehicles here, required to use a tire rated for excess torque from electric motors?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Just to play devils advocate, logging here involves mostly climbing the mountains empty and the loaded haul out is mostly down hill. The real issue is the distance between the logging operation and the sawmill dump. Haulback could provide info on how far a typical haul might run.

Truck Shop

Around here typical is loading in the Blue Mountains S.E. of Pendleton Or, then to Lewiston Id.
170 miles one way give or take. Some loads go to Elgin Or, still 55 to 65 miles one way. A few
years back it was long hauling logs from the Cascades near Cle Elum to Elgin Or. Odd seeing
a loaded log truck in the desert at Vernita Ferry. A load of big sage brush.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
In Western WA the real story is once the truck is off-road and on gravel. There are so many "ups & downs" that the bottom end of the 18 speed is in constant use. On the other hand, you will just have to plug that 14 mile long extension cord into the log shovel overnight and hope the machine gets enough charge to put out a full shift the next day.

Truck Shop

I showed a friend of mine that's been in the logging business all his life this part of this thread.
He just sat there shaking his head. Quote {On steep ground once it breaks traction I don't give
$hit how much power you have chained up or not. Your going to be yard'in on her with the 6
or what ever you got. I've worked hill sides in spring, you dragger in then slide your a$$ to the
bottom on a taboggan run using the hand valve to drag you into the ditch on the corners to
slow you down. That old 1950 KW of my dads had a 220 with a 5x4 in some ways it was better
it didn't have the power to dig to china find the right gear it had just enough to pull it's self
through. I can just see that battery truck setting dead while one drives past just a smoking
and rattling on down. Steve.}

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
And yes, the batteries are hot swappable in minutes and the savings in fuel costs are substantial. In Australian regional areas diesel is expensive. Around $9 Australian per gallon.
The horsepower and torque on these electric trucks would put the low powered US trucks to shame ;)

As long as there is a steady supply of hot swappable batteries.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm almost thinking battery swaps are the only real way to make EV's economical. Standardize the batteries and make them able to be swapped out in 10 minutes. Buy your electric car and just pay a flat fee to swap out the discharged battery with a fresh one.