• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I will have a EV here with a petrol vehicle, though unlike most folks it will be one I converted from a petrol vehicle for myself. Also when not going to get something for projects here across the state I actually walk more miles a month than I do drive and I do have the solar to charge a EV easily here for how long I wait before going into town. Just think a pertrol car/truck registered as such converted to a EV and not paying the gas tax or EV tax.
Only drove about 100 miles last month, I have walked that at least with 10 out of 30 days here, typical walk is 7 miles when checking the mailbox unless going long way which is 10 plus miles. Sure folks have seen my maps I have uploaded with the road I am on, I'm sure someone can figure out how far it is from my mailbox to Rosebud county line in somewhat straight line and then some for the adventure walks.

suladas

This problem will work it's way out, the mandates are either to make politicians more money or break the working class into communism and not part of the natural change of technology. Horse and carriage lasted into WW2 and the ice(internal combustion engine) will last longer, perhaps never go away. The mandates will not work and get broken. Oil will never go away which is good for me since I'm in the oilfield.

Ev battery packs are not currently sustainable for many uses but ev's are a better system then ice for many, many uses, forklifts that run 8 hr days are currently being converted or built new, cost less in price and maintenance.

I can't wait to convert my rig to electric running a 300-350 kw 6-9l generator and a 200-300 HP motor, just need a spare rig and $40,000

Forklifts have been using batteries for forever without an issue, I worked in a warehouse 15 years ago and that's all they used. The difference? They had a charging room full of batteries and if one got low you simply went and changed it out. Not exactly the same thing as a vehicle on the road. Also they could charge 24/7 and spread the load out as needed instead of everyone charging after getting home for the evening.

Electrical grids can't handle the load, transformers in subdivisions can't, and house electrical panels can't. The cost to upgrade all will be astronomical. On a house a few years ago they needed 400 amp service, to upgrade that from 200 amp it cost them over $60k, and all this did was allow 2 houses to each have 400 amp service instead of 200 each. Granted that was one house if doing a ton it would be much lower, but I know the transformer was the vast majority of that alone. Then you need to upgrade the transformers for the subdivisions, etc and everything else down the line. In the apartments going up, they put like 5 charging stations for like 300 stalls.

The city here doesn't allow you to run a cord across the sidewalk to plug in in the winter, already seen one of my neighbors charging their tesla with cord across the sidewalk, how long before that's an issue? They have a front drive garage and driveway so they didn't need to, but many don't and street parking is the only option. I don't see many people buying an EV who don't have any capability to charge at home, unless they get to the point of getting a substantial charge in under 15 minutes, like enough to last the average person a week. I doubt that is even possible.

Truck Shop

I guess I was wrong the sentiment hasn't cooled.

Basically from all the responses------A EV is a Big Piece of Sh!t and will never be accepted or viable.

And there you have it. Time to move on.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I guess I was wrong the sentiment hasn't cooled.

Basically from all the responses------A EV is a Big Piece of Sh!t and will never be accepted or viable.

And there you have it. Time to move on.
What do you expect, most don’t even understand their car battery on how to keep it healthy or how to check then when they go wrong much less their cell phone batteries. Sure just run that power tool battery till dead and slap it on charge, it will last as long as running it down to 50% and putting it on charge. :rolleyes:

cfherrman

Forklifts have been using batteries for forever without an issue, I worked in a warehouse 15 years ago and that's all they used. The difference? They had a charging room full of batteries and if one got low you simply went and changed it out. Not exactly the same thing as a vehicle on the road. Also they could charge 24/7 and spread the load out as needed instead of everyone charging after getting home for the evening.

Electrical grids can't handle the load, transformers in subdivisions can't, and house electrical panels can't. The cost to upgrade all will be astronomical. On a house a few years ago they needed 400 amp service, to upgrade that from 200 amp it cost them over $60k, and all this did was allow 2 houses to each have 400 amp service instead of 200 each. Granted that was one house if doing a ton it would be much lower, but I know the transformer was the vast majority of that alone. Then you need to upgrade the transformers for the subdivisions, etc and everything else down the line. In the apartments going up, they put like 5 charging stations for like 300 stalls.

The city here doesn't allow you to run a cord across the sidewalk to plug in in the winter, already seen one of my neighbors charging their tesla with cord across the sidewalk, how long before that's an issue? They have a front drive garage and driveway so they didn't need to, but many don't and street parking is the only option. I don't see many people buying an EV who don't have any capability to charge at home, unless they get to the point of getting a substantial charge in under 15 minutes, like enough to last the average person a week. I doubt that is even possible.

The forklift batteries now last longer than the day they are used.

skyking1

We'll be getting an EV to go along with our solar panels and ground source heat pump at the new digs. It makes sense for us when the average trip is just a few miles, what with our own charging power and the incentives that are out there for all of it. I also ride a bike and will either get an assisted bike or add the components to one of my MTB's.
We will be net metering with the PUD, and can bank excess power with them from March to March, when it resets each year. I can set the charging timer to only charge during peak solar output, and not even use grid power most of the time.

suladas

Grid tie and net metering solar is efficient for half the the us, and everyone should get them eventually.

It's not here. They pay nothing for power put into the system, or close to nothing and you are constantly needing power from the grid in the winter and at night. There is also the ridiculous cost of install that will take so long to pay for, it's time to nearly replace by then. The only time I could see solar making sense is if it produces enough to not need to hook into the grid. Then you'll save a fortune on initial install and no service fees each month. But if you're still tied into the grid, around here you might be lucky to save $50/month. Even if that pays for everything in 20-25 years, what's the benefit? Who wants to bother?

skyking1

I do my own work and building, and that would include installing solar panels.
I will get a 30% credit from my solar, ground source heat pump, solar hot water or heat, and new EV.
This shortens up the payoff greatly.
This is how net metering works in Washington State in general, and my PUD specifically.
https://clallampud.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Net-Metering-Fact-Sheet.pdf
My PUD basic bill is $40. If I build it out properly I will never pay more than that.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/barcelona_brochure.pdf
I just ordered the Beta version of this with breaker box, comes with lifetime warranty for the Beta version. So now I can start a project of building a EV in near future and have a way to charge it. Plus run my powerful tools in the pole barn such as bigger welding machines.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
fun times Spud. I will get a grid tie inverter/controller combo ( or two ), and at least 12Kw of panels. I will get as many as they will let me grid tie in.
Yep and this unit will do grid tie too if you are battery based, to top it off it's made right up the road in Arlington WA. From personal experience their other product the Classic 150 SL bounced around in my traveling rig for 25k plus miles through dust, heat, freezing and vibrations on and off road. Lost it's voice, but it needed to shut up anyways with the random comments it would make.
With 12kw worth of panels I suggest microinverters for each panel to save a lot on wiring, equipment, money and headache unless you want a battery based system for just in case. Microinverter.png As for where you install the panels I say keep them off your roof and to go with bi-facial panels for when it snows you are still gathering light and if you want to make it look pretty put a white rock bed underneath it for more albedo which then leans towards the distance they need to be off the ground of about half a meter for lowest point. LG has a PDF on the matter, Trina is another good panel for them and Canadian Solar is second best, also very economical.
Running bi-facials here myself which is great for anyone above the 45th parallel, has snow and equipment to handle them.
This is my system when it gets online and this is just for the pole barn, the house will be smaller since I won't be running heavy loads like AC's, heating, dryers or water heaters on electricity. Might have to flip a breaker when it drops below -30.
Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 20-57-17 MidNite Solar - Classic Sizing Tool.png Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 20-57-28 MidNite Solar - Classic Sizing Tool.png

Last edited: