• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid TC-12 Dozer

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
Hi, Wyoming.

Before you get too excited about your link, may I suggest that you read pages 112-113 of Randy Leffingwell's "Caterpillar Farm Tractors And Bulldozers". It has a somewhat different story. It tells that the letters and numbers were chosen because they didn't mean anything relevant to the weight or horsepower of the individual models. I have already explained the logic behind this decision.

I don't care what the 'rating' is/was for a 6-71 GM diesel. As I understand it, each 6-71 in the later TC12's was set at 220 hp, giving a total of 440 hp. It was a little less than that in the development phase and, I think, in the earliest models. The earlier models also did not have the later hard nose but a pressed metal 'styled' grille and surround. See attached brochure with further evidence.

It has been well over 40 years since I last worked as a mechanic so all my shop manuals are long gone, however I have started ordering books online to refresh my memory and learn more. I just added "Caterpillar Farm Tractors And Bulldozers" to the list and I will read suggested pages for sure, thanks for the information. It is only $11.28 at amazon.

The link I referred to was a in a book I seen online now to find the link again. I often find conflicting information in different books so I suppose it all boils down to which book you choose to go by. I don't know what the TC12 horsepower was set at, maybe I should of said "capable" of 476 HP eh? Unless one happens to have a dynamometer in their back pocket who knows for sure?

Thanks for the pics I see what you are talking about concerning the shaft. My suggest reading would be "Moving The Earth" by: Herbert L. Nichols, David A. Day, David H. Day, for anyone wanting to learn more. It is a huge book with over 1200 hundred pages with many pictures, It was one of our class books when I was in the IUOE apprenticeship program.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Euclid TC-12 horsepower rating

Hi Wyoming,
Read Euclid Earth Moving Equipment 1924-1968 photo gallery author Eric C Orlemann ,publisher Iconografix 2004. This book covers about every Euclid model up to the transition to Terex in 1968.

The first TC-12's had combined horsepower of 388 (365 flywheel) in early 1955. The upgraded TC-12-1 in 1956 had 436 horsepower (413 flywheeel). The TC-12-2 in 1959 had 454 horsepower (425 flywheel) 1966 upgraded to the 82-80 (BA) the horsepower reamained the same. The 82-80 (DA) in 1967 was rated at 476 horsepower (440 flywheel) The last batch of this machine under the Euclid trademark was june 1968, any machine after July 1st 1968 was designated Terex

As to transporting one these "super-dozers" average time for three men to disassemble the unit for travel was approximately 15 man-hours.

Dug

Wyoming

Occupation
Retired
The first TC-12's had combined horsepower of 388 (365 flywheel) in early 1955. The upgraded TC-12-1 in 1956 had 436 horsepower (413 flywheeel). The TC-12-2 in 1959 had 454 horsepower (425 flywheel) 1966 upgraded to the 82-80 (BA) the horsepower reamained the same. The 82-80 (DA) in 1967 was rated at 476 horsepower (440 flywheel) The last batch of this machine under the Euclid trademark was june 1968, any machine after July 1st 1968 was designated Terex

As to transporting one these "super-dozers" average time for three men to disassemble the unit for travel was approximately 15 man-hours.

Dug

Great information Dug thanks I added the book to my list! If the takedown time was 15 hrs and like Deas said "getting the two floats aligned closely enough to re-assemble the two halves was a REAL hassle" it had to have a bearing on its demise. Added to that keeping one of these things running given all the moving parts had to be a hassle also.

In any case it was a beauty to look at and watch, from a distance! I always liked Caterpillar's equipment, but I spent my time on Euclid's for sure. If someone went for parts for a Euclid they went to the Euc house if going for Caterpillar parts they went to the Cat house.... LOL