• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"ERR 016" on CAT 345B digital HVAC control panel

ireland

Hi folks,

We've a well loved Cat 345B LME (series I) on the go here and I was hoping to bring the cab heating / cooling back to life on her. She recently came back from a bit of a mechanical overhaul and while our guy didn't get round to re-instating the heating, he did give the components (fan, valves, filters, etc...) a one over and is happy all components are present and ready for work.

When I power on the machine, the digital display control panel lights up, the LCD display briefly shows "1.3" which I assume is the software version followed by displaying all segments of the display before it goes blank. About 10 seconds later, "ERR 016" flashes about 10 times before the display goes off until the machine is power cycled. While all buttons on the control panel remain lit, at no point do any of them respond to being pressed.

I assume the control panel itself has a fault but scouring the web shows no reference to "ERR 016" and even chatting to Finnings, this variant of the control panel seems to be almost unknown. They're "offering" a replacement analog panel for over €800!

Panel image: https://i.postimg.cc/tRPvJhhh/cat345b-ditigal-hvac-control-panel.jpg

Any thoughts on ERR 016? I'm looking around - with little luck - for a matching panel new or second-hand and failing that I'll just have to submit to Finnings :(

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
I have a 322BL with the same panel having no working buttons and the display only flashes. Mine is not legible at all, so I can't help with the error. A/C work was my rainy day project last week, so I pulled the panel to investigate.

I can unfortunately confirm that the Alibaba clone parts dealers do not have a replacement. I have not located a working used panel, so went ahead and ordered the new replacement from Cat. That's probably no help to you, except maybe you won't spend hours trying to see if the knockoffs will work.

ireland

I have a 322BL with the same panel having no working buttons and the display only flashes. Mine is not legible at all, so I can't help with the error. A/C work was my rainy day project last week, so I pulled the panel to investigate.

I can unfortunately confirm that the Alibaba clone parts dealers do not have a replacement. I have not located a working used panel, so went ahead and ordered the new replacement from Cat. That's probably no help to you, except maybe you won't spend hours trying to see if the knockoffs will work.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this "unknown" panel! It stumped Finnings who were of the opinion we must have fitted a different panel at some point as their system only shows an analog panel with "Volkswagen knobs" as they said themselves. My biggest gripe other than the high price is that fitting their analog panel will remove much of the functionality of the digital panel, including the aircon possibly. Their panel has fan speed and hot/cold control only. Is this what they supplied to you or did you get a digital replacement?

I have checked Alibaba and the likes but I cannot find our exact panel and I don't want to chance one of the other digital equivalents in case they turn out to be incompatible

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
Ireland,

CAT # 217-2317 is the replacement that was spec'd. I hope to have time to pick it up today. Pictures indicate that it does have analog-looking rotary knobs.

ireland

Thanks @thirdcoaster ... that unit looks like a more suitable replacement than my agent had suggested to me and there should be no functionality lost using it.

I managed to remove the actuator today, at least the actual mechanism, leaving the valve and pipework in situ. Surprisingly, the actuator is still powering on with machine ignition and going through the motions and removing the front cover shows the gearing and motor in good shape. However, looking at the rear of the case, it look like the actuator travelled outside it's intended range at least more than once. The little protruding lug (see image below) has scored into the plastic plinth.

Internal: https://i.postimg.cc/zGQczx9n/cat345b-aircon-water-actuator-01.jpg
Rear: https://i.postimg.cc/rsh9hmTS/cat345b-aircon-water-actuator-02.jpg

I removed the shaft and attached gear and set it back in place in a few different positions to try and establish what the correct initial position is. When the actuator is powered on, it travels 180 degrees and then back about 90 deg. However, despite attempting a few different starting positions and also setting the small blue gear (which I assume is position tracking of some sort) at different positions, the digital panel still shows ERR 016.

Am I wasting time trying to get this actuator "reset" to it's initial position? I don't suppose there is a procedure in the documentation for replacing or reinstating the actuator? I'll put a call out for a replacement Monday if I can't get it to set tomorrow.

For posterity too.. the P/N on the label is 126-5611 and is manufactured by CEI