• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment video game?

MVFD

I was thinking a few months ago how cool it would be to have a video game that was an equipment simulator. I dont see why it would be that hard. with a PS2 controler you have both joysticks and various buttons. If they really wanted to get in to it they could design a new control system that clips on to chairs and allows you to have the joysticks like real life and foot pedals.

You could pretty much design it as a free roam type game, Find jobs, buy equipment, run the equipment, hire employees, fire employees, and build your company from the ground up. Incounter break downs, maintence of machines etc. Anything you would do and need to do in real life is possible in the game.
even as much as taking a loan out for your first machine.

anything from land clearing, logging, to sub division work. you could go as far as to buy your trucks aswell. I think if they would bring a game like that out alot of people would buy it. just an idea.

I would be the first one to buy it. thats forsure.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I don't know if it would be commercially feasible -- I doubt many people would find operating construction equipment to be an entertaining virtual world. (That's just an opinion -- maybe people really would enjoy it, and I'm just being naive.)

Simulation tools -- like an airplane simulator for pilots, but for construction equipment -- is under development at certain manufacturers.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Tigerotor77W said:
Simulation tools -- like an airplane simulator for pilots, but for construction equipment -- is under development at certain manufacturers.

Actually, I recall having read somewhere of such sims being in use, but I don't recall any of the details.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
digger242j said:
I'm still trying to win my first game of Pong. :Banghead

http://science.howstuffworks.com/backhoe-sim/

Yep..and I suppose those little space invaders are still getting to the bottom of the screen before you shoot them all:rolleyes:

However, the virtual traing systems for big excavators and Dump Trucks are commonly used on our mine site:

http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=96642&x=7

Click on the "Virtual Training Equipment Simulator" its a long vid..about 8 Mb I think. You may notice the guy operating the excavator simulator is wearing his hard hat!.

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
As a matter of fact, there was a game out for playstation 1 that was put out by komatsu where you operated excavators that ranged from a PC200 up to a PC1100 (i think) doing things like land clearing and demolition in which you had a matter of time to complete the job, and if you didnt make it in time the forman would yell at you in japanees (wich i didnt care for) but all in all not a bad game.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
digger242j said:
Actually, I recall having read somewhere of such sims being in use, but I don't recall any of the details.

Good point! I wasn't sure if they had already released some.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
There was a backhoe simulator making the rounds a couple years ago which you could run with the keyboard.I tried it and everything worked but it was not very intuitive without joysticks which I did not have as I have no use for them as I don't play games.
Actually when I found it I didn't have a computer fast enough to run it anyway.Some one let me know if it works with twin joysticks and I will try to find some.:)
It is a Caterpillar backhoe complete with noise.I saw reference to it several times and if you do a Google search on "Caterpillar Simulators" it will come up.
Here is the link so you don't have to type.Ron G

http://www.google.com/search?source...DVXA:2005-22,DVXA:en&q=Caterpillar+simulators

Copenhagen

There is a game called Construction/Demolition for computers. I bought it a few months ago and had a blast with it. I set up the controls so I can run the equipment with two joysticks. The game is alright but it kinda lacks in depth perception from the cab view. but when Im bored it can be fun. I even thought about taking it to work to test and train new operators.

bozoloaderman

Occupation
loader operator in coal mine
I have done some training in one of the Immersive Technologies simulators. I did the truck simulator and the 994 simulator. Truck didn't bother me but the loader simulator was a different story! It was okay at first as I was feeding a hopper but then trucks were sent in and then it all went to hell! Within 5 minutes I was so sick I couldn't believe it. I couldn't finish the simulation. When you stand in the back of the simulator and watch someone else you have to hang on to the wall or you can lose you balance. One of the guys puked right in the seat. The trainers weren't impressed much. It did help alot in the training of our operators with the new iron we got.

Wulf

CAT245ME said:
As a matter of fact, there was a game out for playstation 1 that was put out by komatsu where you operated excavators that ranged from a PC200 up to a PC1100 (i think) doing things like land clearing and demolition in which you had a matter of time to complete the job, and if you didnt make it in time the forman would yell at you in japanees (wich i didnt care for) but all in all not a bad game.

I'm pretty sure that this is the Play Station game you described. I got a copy off e-bay and my son and I have both played it... it's the only game I can thrash him on:laugh
And you are exactly right...that foreman yelling at you in Japanese gets on your nerves pretty quickly.

Attachments

• Power shovel.jpg
    Power shovel.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,429

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
bozoloaderman said:
I have done some training in one of the Immersive Technologies simulators. I did the truck simulator and the 994 simulator. Truck didn't bother me but the loader simulator was a different story! It was okay at first as I was feeding a hopper but then trucks were sent in and then it all went to hell! Within 5 minutes I was so sick I couldn't believe it. I couldn't finish the simulation. When you stand in the back of the simulator and watch someone else you have to hang on to the wall or you can lose you balance. One of the guys puked right in the seat. The trainers weren't impressed much. It did help alot in the training of our operators with the new iron we got.

On Immersive's website, they have clips from the simulated Phelps Dodge Sierrita mine - took me right back home!! Except for the images of the truck shop ready line - it's NEVER that organized!!

jazak

MVFD said:
I was thinking a few months ago how cool it would be to have a video game that was an equipment simulator. I dont see why it would be that hard. with a PS2 controler you have both joysticks and various buttons. If they really wanted to get in to it they could design a new control system that clips on to chairs and allows you to have the joysticks like real life and foot pedals.

You could pretty much design it as a free roam type game, Find jobs, buy equipment, run the equipment, hire employees, fire employees, and build your company from the ground up. Incounter break downs, maintence of machines etc. Anything you would do and need to do in real life is possible in the game.
even as much as taking a loan out for your first machine.

anything from land clearing, logging, to sub division work. you could go as far as to buy your trucks aswell. I think if they would bring a game like that out alot of people would buy it. just an idea.

I would be the first one to buy it. thats forsure.

So would I.

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
Wulf said:
I'm pretty sure that this is the Play Station game you described. I got a copy off e-bay and my son and I have both played it... it's the only game I can thrash him on:laugh
And you are exactly right...that foreman yelling at you in Japanese gets on your nerves pretty quickly.

Yes that's the one, to bad they didnt have other types of equipment on the game as well, like the 575A3 super dozer.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
i havent got to play it yet but looks cool. caterpillar construction tycoon by activision... i got it at target.

Attachments

• scan0002edit.bmp
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,007

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
farmerted44 said:
i havent got to play it yet but looks cool. caterpillar construction tycoon by activision... i got it at target.

I have that one. I haven't tried the management part much, but the operation part leaves a lot to be desired. It's really hard to do anything and it seems to lock up my laptop (not a cheap one either) after a few minutes of trying to load trucks or something.

I have Powershovel too and it is fun to mess around on and it really helps make the controls second nature if you use the joysticks instead of the buttons.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I had that one too, locked up my laptop as well. It really could be a good game if it ran well and some of the tools in the game were decent.

sno-mover

If you go on Cats web site you can play with a skid or a hoe, theres options for a controler, or joy stick or I tried it with the key board is was tuff to get use to.