• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine stalls under load

Eug

Hi guys.

Hoping to get some advice from the more experienced members here.

I have a Cat304CR which I bought about a year ago for working on my property. Not sure of year or hours as the meter has been changed, but it's an older machine. I have used it at least 20 times, maybe more - probably 3 tanks of fuel worth. It has been running well, no problems until now.
In the last few days, it has developed a problem. When I first start it, it starts right away and runs well for 3 to 5 mins, then the engine begins to bog down as I use the hydraulics. Not for digging, just operating the boom/stick/bucket cylinders or moving the machine. I need to back right off and be very gentle as if I continue to use them as normal the engine will stall. This happens regardless of throttle position.
Prior to this happening, I put in 20L of diesel as it was really low on fuel. I wondered if this was related so I removed the fuel/water separator and blew compressed air through the fuel filter and lines back to the tank to make sure there was no gunk or blockage in the lines. Also removed the banjo bolt and checked it wasn't plugged up. Made no difference, still doing the same thing. Engine doesn't blow smoke - load or no load. Nothing has been tampered with or adjusted so it's a problem that has developed on it's own.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Theres 2 things it can be> fuel pressure or hydro. pressure.. either way u gotta put gauges on it..
By chance does it have a hand primer in the fuel system?? IF YES, get someone to pump the HP while U work the hydros & see if it stalls.. THAT"LL "just about" rule out the fuel system??{maybe}

Eug

Thanks, I'm thinking fuel system. I used it for a few mins today to check if it was still doing it and sure enough after 5 or so mins I felt the engine bog down. I went to shut it down and dropped the revs to idle and the engine cut out on its own with no load whatsoever. It's never done that before. always idles OK.
The engine is a Mitsubishi S4L, don't think it has a hand primer.
Where would I put the gauge?

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would replace that fuel filter. I'm not a fan of blowing compressed air back thru them. You may not be filtering anymore and soon may have more problems.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Had the exact same problem on a 304 or 305 a few years ago. Pulled up the floorboards and removed the fuel sending tank sending unit to get a visual inside the tank. Sure enough, whole bunch of debris in there clogging up the filter. Cleaned out the tank with a pump and filter, never had a problem again.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Also check to make sure your fuel tank vent isn't plugged. I'm guessing it vents thru the fuel cap.

Eug

The filter on the engine is one of those filter/water separator types, I took it off and had a good look, appears to be very clean. Took the fuel pump off also and hooked it up to 12v, pumped diesel with it, worked perfectly.
Put it all back together and started it up, used it for 5 mins or so, problem seemed fixed...
I shut it down and let it sit for a while, then started it up again and this time it took a bit longer to start, then it idled rough. I increased the throttle and it ran really rough, wouldn't stay at full throttle - revs varied up/down. Dropped the revs and it just died. Fired it up again and this time it ran but quite rough and still doing the same thing.

Eug

Had the exact same problem on a 304 or 305 a few years ago. Pulled up the floorboards and removed the fuel sending tank sending unit to get a visual inside the tank. Sure enough, whole bunch of debris in there clogging up the filter. Cleaned out the tank with a pump and filter, never had a problem again.
Mine is different, i have the hydraulics under the floorboards. Inside the tank is the fuel gauge sender. The feed and return lines are separate and just run along the side of the tank, then along the bottom. I drained the tank and while there was certainly some gunk there it was minimal.

Eug

Makes sense, I'll try it tomorrow.
While the tank is empty I'd like to try to clean out the small amount of gunk on the bottom, although I'm not sure what is the best way to do it without pulling the tank out.
Anyway, I'll put in some new diesel tomorrow and see how it goes.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
TO BETTER DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM I have to know WHAT injection pump is on your equipment.
Is it the small square 4cyl pump held down w/4 bolts or is it the BIG 4cyl Kiki/Zexel pump w/ a governor attached to the back of it.??
IF its the BIG Zexel pump, u SHOULD HAVE a hand primer on the supply pump.. U said u checked the banjo bolt w/ the filter YES.?? The HP is directly above the filter bolt.. unscrew it & pump up & down while its running & work the levers to check for a fuel problem..
1 other thing it could be on the BIG PUMP is the OVER FLOW VALVE.. a weak or broken spring..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Just google Mitsubishi S4L injection pump.. to SEE the diff. pumps.
IT SURE SOUNDS LIKE a clogged banjo bolt filter.?? Are u SURE u checked the right one.?

Eug

Here's a pic of the engine and a close up of the pump. In the 2nd pic you can see the banjo bolt just under the fuel/water separator. Yes, I took it out, no screen or filter in there, it was clean.

As for the suck bucket, I made one and use it occasionally, just never heard it called that before. The tricky part is doing it through a small filler opening but I'll manage, thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• 20190227_105101.jpg
    20190227_105101.jpg
    768.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190227_171317.jpg
    20190227_171317.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 24

thepumpguysc

Occupation
KOOL.. THATS the kinda info I LIKE to see.!!!
U have the small PFR style pump.. No overflow valve to be concerned with..
All u have is an IN & it HAS TO BE under pressure.. U said the "supply pump" works so we'll let that be..
BUT keep in mind.. just because it runs, doesn't mean its putting out the pressure the injection pump NEEDS..
Theres 1 more thing that pump is known for>> a weak shut off solenoid.. that gizmo in the back, looks like 1/2 a beer can w/ wires & has a big nut on it..
Disconnect those wires & UN-SCREW the "can" 1 FULL TURN OUT & snug the nut back up & plug the wires in.. & see what it does..
Looking at the pic> U have TWO shut offs.?? 1 manual w/a cable & 1 electric.?? WHICH ONE are u using??