• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

engine heater for JD 310g

Sageair

Howdy all,
We recently bought a used 310 from a city in the Bay area. This unit is not equipped with a 110v engine heater which I think we need for up here in Northern Nevada. Any tips or thoughts on the best. I am leaning towards one that installs in a freeze plug but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steve

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
If you have the ether dispenser built onto the machine I think you will be surprised how good it will start in cold weather.Most any of the JD equipment I have been around built in the last 15 years or so have very good cold starting capabilities down to 0 degrees at least.If you have to use a squirt can don't over do it because they don't need much,you can lock them up very quickly if not careful.Ron G

Wulf

Sageair said:
Howdy all,
We recently bought a used 310 from a city in the Bay area. This unit is not equipped with a 110v engine heater which I think we need for up here in Northern Nevada. Any tips or thoughts on the best. I am leaning towards one that installs in a freeze plug but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steve

Your engine may start with just a sniff of ether but coolant heaters are great for prolonging component life. Up here a lot of guys use the externally mounted circulation type that slowly circulates the coolant rather than rely on convection from immersion type.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You are better off with a inline heater the one that can be plumbed into a heater line. Those frost plug models don't last also you run the risk of leaks etc. Don't use starting fluid its got to be the worst thing for a engine because once a engine is a ether pig it will always be a ether pig you will need to use it even in warm conditions.

Make sure you got good starting batteries and park the machine out of the wind or keep in in a shed so its not bearing the brunt of the cold. Also run fuel additive to keep your fuel from gelling.

When it gets really cold here what we use is a tiger torch put it under the machine and let the heat warm up the oil.

excavator

310G engine heater

Deere sells an engine coolant heater, part number AT74940 which screws into the block on the left side of the motor. Remove the threaded plug, screw in the heater, refill with coolant and your done.(Make sure when you tighten the nut that the element is not touching the block inside). I've done two of these in the last week and it takes less than an hour. Unless you have a cab with a heater, using a canister heater is a lot of extra work, and they don't seem to last as long. Oh yeah, drain the coolant before you remove the plug!

Sageair

excavator said:
Deere sells an engine coolant heater, part number AT74940 which screws into the block on the left side of the motor. Remove the threaded plug, screw in the heater, refill with coolant and your done.(Make sure when you tighten the nut that the element is not touching the block inside). I've done two of these in the last week and it takes less than an hour. Unless you have a cab with a heater, using a canister heater is a lot of extra work, and they don't seem to last as long. Oh yeah, drain the coolant before you remove the plug!
Perfect!! Many thanks. Steve