• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Eng. oil change interval 500hrs...... seems a bit long.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
"Memories".
Nothing we have has a pyrometer.

jack345

I installed a block heater last month on my Kubota engine- its nice to feel a warm engine on a cold day. FYI: I used Kats block heater got it off Ebay for about $18.00, screw in type about 1.5hrs install time. Mine took the Kats 11407

This is in reply to MELLI's concerning a block heater.

Last edited:

melli

Jack - please show and tell...I saw the heater online, a coolant heater. The idea of pulling a frost plug has me nervous to say the least. What machine did you stick yours in? Any pics would be appreciated.

Errol

It's not just the cost of the oil change and down time, those dang filters can get you in the wallet too!!

jack345

Jack - please show and tell...I saw the heater online, a coolant heater. The idea of pulling a frost plug has me nervous to say the least. What machine did you stick yours in? Any pics would be appreciated.

I have a Kubota with a D1105 engine. I too was nervous about removing a frost plug-but this was a little different . Just above the starter and a little to the left you will see a 1 inch screw in bung style plug( its NPT ) it has a hex that a 17mm bolt head fits. Make yourself a tool that uses the 17mm bolt. The first one I made I just welded a nut to the bolt--not strong enough! Made a stronger one and with a flex handle and a cheater pipe it came out easy, was not rusted they just put them in tight at factory. From there just follow inst from Kats. The heater I have is 400 watts and does a great job getting block warm in about 45-60 min . Starts just like you were just running it . Go to http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Guides and find with model your Kubota engine takes. Fits perfect no cutting hoses or finding a place for a water heater. Same as dealer sells just less $. If you have problems will try to get pic let me know.

melli

Thanks Jack, mine is a 2203...I will have to take a closer look tomorrow in the light. Looking at pic, I cannot go left of starter...I do have a coolant drain petcock. I do like pics...:)
The lower rad hose sounds interesting mike, but I cannot see getting at it easily...

2012-10-14 14.37.07 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

melli

Wow, thanks for link Jack...the options are endless. I had it in my head an oil heater was the best way to go...see what they want for a cab heater line heater...playing with rad hose has me worried about blocking flow. I do see a big honkin frost plug in above pic....lol
Wonder what type Bobcat sells...?
A heat pad for tank (it is plastic) and one for oil pan would really get Bobby up and running first thing in morning....

jack345

Thanks Jack, mine is a 2203...I will have to take a closer look tomorrow in the light. Looking at pic, I cannot go left of starter...I do have a coolant drain petcock. I do like pics...:)
The lower rad hose sounds interesting mike, but I cannot see getting at it easily...

View attachment 99674

Looked up your engine and you need to remove a frost plug 1 3/8". That may be it right above your red battery cable on block .about the same place mine is but my engine is different and facing 180 to where fan is on left. Measure the frost plug looks like there is room to work if that's it. Dealer may have info on your model too.