• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Eimco dozer

Dominion 410

I have a copy of Construction Equipment magazine from 1960.One of the advertisements is from the Eimco company with it's dozer line-up. Shows the operator sitting up-front behind the blade with rear-mounted engine-looks like a Detroit 318.Twin stacks(one for each ear),independent forward/reverse for the tracks and not a whole lot of ground clearance.Anyone operate or have been around these things?

surfer-joe

I operated Eimco's for a couple of years in Vietnam and Rhode Island during my time with the Seabees. The machines were, I believe, model 104's. They had the Detroit V671 engine with the dual stacks. Some were equipped with winches, some had a ripper bar, some only a tow bar. Some of the machines, the newest ones, had Caterpillar undercarriages on them, a result of the Eimco firm about to go under and still short of fulfilling a military contract for the Navy and Marine Corps.

I liked the machines, when they worked as designed. The transmissions were a bit undependable. You could never be completely sure that it would do as directed by the control levers, there were problems in the directional control valve stacks that quite often meant that a shift was missed, in which case the tranny went into neutral instead of forward or reverse on one side or the other. Then you had to jiggle the control levers a time or two to get the bloomin thing to work correctly. I never knew what the exact problem was, but these machines stacked up outside the company shops quite often for repair in that area.

The engines were quite dependable so long as fuel filters were changed often. Our fuel supply was spotty, often coming from 5 gallon jerry cans, 55 gallon barrels, or any kind of fuel truck or tanker. We burned #2 diesel, kerosene, or JP4, whatever we could get. They were a noisy beast.

The machines were a delight to operate. One sat on the front, the radiator was in the back, and it was noisy too. The blade control lever was under your right hand, the forward-reverse shifter levers under your left. There were two foot operated brake pedals and a foot operated de-accelerator pedal, which was rarely used in open dozing. You could almost see the bottom of the blade from the cutting edge side, excellent visibility of the front and both corners. The bull blades had a tilt function, not sure that the angle blades did however. Don't remember them so well. There was a control panel across the top of a lowdown dash with the standard gauges and buttons, also a hand operated thottle assembly. The fan blade was a blower fan, exiting out the rear.

On fairly flat ground the machines were very powerful, but being light on the front end, they had some trouble digging into harder soil, gravel, or blasted rock. On hilly terrain I always felt uncomfortable with the high center of gravity, much more so than our TD20's, which I would take over nearly any cliff. You merely sat in place on the Eimco, twitching the shift levers with your fingers as needed for directional changes -- occasionally using a foot brake -- and moved the dozer or ripper control as required. Very easy.

The best use of these was spreading loose fill, dozing sand, or working in a rock or gravel quarry around piles of sand, gravel, and crushed rock, also feeding a crusher or screen plant. They were also good for land clearing of small trees and brush or grass. Working in deep jungle or big trees was another matter. Being up front placed you right in the thick of the action, where branches, monkeys and snakes or other nasty critters could drop right on you. If you ran over a mine, being right up front was also a bad place to be as some folks found out. These machines did not have cabs or ROPS enclosures.

I did backfill and excavation work all over the Danang area, working around ammo dumps, helicopter pads, supply dumps, bridge approaches, airfield work for revetments and drainage, and a lot of road work in the metro area and up on the Hai Van Pass north of town. I also pushed MRS 110 scrapers quite a bit in the sand pits.

As I mentioned we also had many International TD20's, some International TD25B's, some Cat D8's, and one or two Euclid C6's. Smaller dozers included IH TD6's and 9's. Also some International 175 and Case 1150 crawler loaders.

In Rhode Island, there was a model 103 Eimco at the base landfill. A smaller -- D6 -- size machine, it had the Detroit 4-71 inline engine. I never ran it.

The Marines engineers had Eimco's all over the place on their bases in the states and in Vietnam. We worked on General Lam's wall with them for several months and that is what they were using there. They spent a lot of time getting dragged out of rice paddies with tank retrievers, and left the steeper hills and slopes to us with our TD20's. That was a pretty good job while it lasted, I believe we helped clear 25 or 30 miles around the northwest corner of the Danang perimeter. This "wall" was a cleared strip 600 yards wide with two sets of concertina wire, mines, detectors, and watch towers every so many yards. We scraped everything down to bare dirt with a road running just behind the strip. We lost one dozer to an unexploded 8" naval shell with the operator getting the purple heart for minor injuries including hearing loss for a few days. We lived with the Marines in a squad tent on their base on a hill, stood night watches, ate C-rations (Marine chow was terrible) and generally had a great time.

Since then I have seen a few Eimco's around the states just sitting. Have never seen one working that I remember. Some had been, judging from the lack of rust on their blades.

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Thanks, Joe

I operated Eimco's for a couple of years in Vietnam and Rhode Island during my time with the Seabees. The machines were, I believe, model 104's. They had the Detroit V671 engine with the dual stacks. Some were equipped with winches, some had a ripper bar, some only a tow bar. Some of the machines, the newest ones, had Caterpillar undercarriages on them, a result of the Eimco firm about to go under and still short of fulfilling a military contract for the Navy and Marine Corps.

I liked the machines, when they worked as designed. The transmissions were a bit undependable. You could never be completely sure that it would do as directed by the control levers, there were problems in the directional control valve stacks that quite often meant that a shift was missed, in which case the tranny went into neutral instead of forward or reverse on one side or the other. Then you had to jiggle the control levers a time or two to get the bloomin thing to work correctly. I never knew what the exact problem was, but these machines stacked up outside the company shops quite often for repair in that area.

The engines were quite dependable so long as fuel filters were changed often. Our fuel supply was spotty, often coming from 5 gallon jerry cans, 55 gallon barrels, or any kind of fuel truck or tanker. We burned #2 diesel, kerosene, or JP4, whatever we could get. They were a noisy beast.

The machines were a delight to operate. One sat on the front, the radiator was in the back, and it was noisy too. The blade control lever was under your right hand, the forward-reverse shifter levers under your left. There were two foot operated brake pedals and a foot operated de-accelerator pedal, which was rarely used in open dozing. You could almost see the bottom of the blade from the cutting edge side, excellent visibility of the front and both corners. The bull blades had a tilt function, not sure that the angle blades did however. Don't remember them so well. There was a control panel across the top of a lowdown dash with the standard gauges and buttons, also a hand operated thottle assembly. The fan blade was a blower fan, exiting out the rear.

On fairly flat ground the machines were very powerful, but being light on the front end, they had some trouble digging into harder soil, gravel, or blasted rock. On hilly terrain I always felt uncomfortable with the high center of gravity, much more so than our TD20's, which I would take over nearly any cliff. You merely sat in place on the Eimco, twitching the shift levers with your fingers as needed for directional changes -- occasionally using a foot brake -- and moved the dozer or ripper control as required. Very easy.

The best use of these was spreading loose fill, dozing sand, or working in a rock or gravel quarry around piles of sand, gravel, and crushed rock, also feeding a crusher or screen plant. They were also good for land clearing of small trees and brush or grass. Working in deep jungle or big trees was another matter. Being up front placed you right in the thick of the action, where branches, monkeys and snakes or other nasty critters could drop right on you. If you ran over a mine, being right up front was also a bad place to be as some folks found out. These machines did not have cabs or ROPS enclosures.

I did backfill and excavation work all over the Danang area, working around ammo dumps, helicopter pads, supply dumps, bridge approaches, airfield work for revetments and drainage, and a lot of road work in the metro area and up on the Hai Van Pass north of town. I also pushed MRS 110 scrapers quite a bit in the sand pits.

As I mentioned we also had many International TD20's, some International TD25B's, some Cat D8's, and one or two Euclid C6's. Smaller dozers included IH TD6's and 9's. Also some International 175 and Case 1150 crawler loaders.

In Rhode Island, there was a model 103 Eimco at the base landfill. A smaller -- D6 -- size machine, it had the Detroit 4-71 inline engine. I never ran it.

The Marines engineers had Eimco's all over the place on their bases in the states and in Vietnam. We worked on General Lam's wall with them for several months and that is what they were using there. They spent a lot of time getting dragged out of rice paddies with tank retrievers, and left the steeper hills and slopes to us with our TD20's. That was a pretty good job while it lasted, I believe we helped clear 25 or 30 miles around the northwest corner of the Danang perimeter. This "wall" was a cleared strip 600 yards wide with two sets of concertina wire, mines, detectors, and watch towers every so many yards. We scraped everything down to bare dirt with a road running just behind the strip. We lost one dozer to an unexploded 8" naval shell with the operator getting the purple heart for minor injuries including hearing loss for a few days. We lived with the Marines in a squad tent on their base on a hill, stood night watches, ate C-rations (Marine chow was terrible) and generally had a great time.

Since then I have seen a few Eimco's around the states just sitting. Have never seen one working that I remember. Some had been, judging from the lack of rust on their blades.

That was a really intresting post Joe.

Thanks for your Service to our Country also.:usa

Northart

Here's a couple pix .

Attachments

• Eimco Dozer  a.jpg
    Eimco Dozer a.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 6,143
  • Eimco Dozer  b.JPG
    Eimco Dozer b.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 6,118
  • Eimco Dozer c.JPG
    Eimco Dozer c.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,923

Knucklehead

Surfer Joe, when were you in Danang? My Dad was over there also. He doesn't talk about it much so about all I know is he was a Seabee and that its where he was. I'm not even sure what year he was there.

brian falcone

neat

conklin lime stone in lincoln rhode island has one of those parked by the old quarry. they also have or had one of those hough rear engine track loaders from the 50s. or so i was told

surfer-joe

Hi Knucklehead,

I tramped around in-country from early 1967 to March 1970. Three tours, so there was some time there back in the states and a little bit of time on Antigua in the British West Indies.

Most Seabees worked Vietnam for two tours which were about 8-9 months long. I believe the first battalion went over in 1965 and the last one out was in 1972. May have been a year earlier in getting out. I was in MCB One (Mobil Construction Battalion).

Ask yer dad which battalion he was in, or was he with the NSA? (Naval Support Activity) He may also have been with an ACB (Amphibious Construction Battalion), or the 31st NCR (Naval Construction Regiment).

Your dad may not be interested in staying in touch with the Seabees, but here are some on-line sites that he might like to look at:

http://www.nsva.org/ (Navy Seabee Veterans of America)
http://www.seabeesinfohq.org/index01.htm (Operation Seabees Knowledge)
https://www.seabee.navy.mil/index.cfm (U.S. Naval Construction Force)
http://www.vietnam-era-seabees.org/ (Vietnam Era Seabeas, Inc.)
http://www.vva.org/ (Vietnam Veterans of America)
http://www.seabeesmuseum.com/Index.html (Seabee Museum and Memorial
Park, Davisville, RI)
http://www.seabeehf.org/ (CEC/Seabee Historical Foundation)
[urlhttps://portal.navfac.navy.mil/portal/page/portal/navfac/navfac_ww_pp/navfac_nfelc_pp/tab33566:tab34412[/url] (The Naval Facilities Expeditionary
Logistics Center, Port Hueneme, Calif)
http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/port_hueneme/seabee_museum.htm
(Port Hueneme, CA)

I may have missed a site or two. But encourage him to take a look anyway.

Also, maybe the most important site for your dad may be this one:
http://www1.va.gov/AgentOrange/ (Veterans Administration, Agent Orange website)

Your dad, by virtue of being in Vietnam, is considered to have been exposed to Agent Orange, which entitles him to free medical care thorough VA facilities for illnesses thought or proven to be caused by that exposure. He may also be eligible for compensation, depending on his situation. Worth a mention to him anyway.

He may already be aware of many of these sites, I hope so. Put him in touch with me as well if he doesn't care. I'd be happy to swap some sea-stories with him.

Last edited:

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I know where there is an old Eimco Overhead loader. Ballew and Roberts Construction Now owned by APAC had one. I knew of of the family members I met about 8 years ago he had some old machines for sale, DW21 and an old D7 and a grader and such. I was by there to see if he had decided to sell to 21 and noticed that there was someting behind his shop in the trees. It had a blade of sorsts and I never expected to see what i saw. It was the unmistakably rocker arms of an Eimco Loader. The motor was on the rear but I think the drive sprokets were upfront, I think some of tose units were made on an AC Chassis. She had a little Detroit ans smooth pads. The little cab/rops had a tank like hatch well more like the hatch on an American crane. On the back she had a set of drums on each side that had 4 inch wide roller/timing chain type chains on them. the ran down to part of the rocker assembly. On the top back next to the drums on each side was a large cast/ forged striler plate and a set of springs on the mating surface of the racker arms. The buck was a one peic casted looking part to. They hade a 1/2 inch plate bolted to the bucket with a cutting edge to use as a blade. I didnt tell my neighbor about it I was just talking to him about these machines and he recalled this one Mr Ballew had. I told him I found it they both were friends and competitors as both built roads in MS and AL. Mr. Frederick told me that they used this loader and another one for loading hoppers at an asphault plant. One was used in a screening and pit area and thought to have been bigger. He said they could load a plant fast. He told me he was over there watching it work one day and the Cat man came by with a shiny new articulated loader. Mr. Frederick told me they bet the Cat man theyed buy the loader if it would out load the little Eimco on the same set of hoppers both being counted and fair. Mr. Fredereick told me the little Eimco went 3 sometimes 4 loads ahead of the wheel loader because it didnt have to turn. They did buy the loader later for road work and later to load a plant. Mr. Frederick told me it slapped against the stops and bounced the load out of the tapered bucket. This one wasnt a very tall machine. I hope to get a few pictures of it. The blade was used at the end of the day to rake up the stock piles.as the bucket was fixed.

surfer-joe

I never ran one of Eimco's muckers or skip loaders. I have talked to some fella's that did and they mentioned that they were a dirty machine to operate. You see one once in a while sitting abandoned outside a mine.

The little air powered muckers are scattered all over western Colorado and eastern Utah in the uranium mining country. They were pretty popular in those little dog hole mines.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Heres a rare beast here I found at an old mans shop on accident. Its an Eimco overloader. Its grown up in some trees this is the one that loaded the asphault plant for Ballew and Roberts before APAC bought them out.
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/tumblebugtaylor/029.jpg
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/tumblebugtaylor/028-1.jpg
The side pic shows the lift and the rocker and stoppers on the top back and the front show the hatch. they say it out loaded many a wheel loader in the batch plant

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Heres a rare beast here I found at an old mans shop on accident. Its an Eimco overloader. Its grown up in some trees this is the one that loaded the asphault plant for Ballew and Roberts before APAC bought them out.
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/tumblebugtaylor/029.jpg
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/tumblebugtaylor/028-1.jpg
The side pic shows the lift and the rocker and stoppers on the top back and the front show the hatch. they say it out loaded many a wheel loader in the batch plant

Is that what this machine is? Fourth one down on this post.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=79617&postcount=24

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
95zIV that is an Eimco front engined overloader I think they were based on an Allis Chalmerst crawler. I think the rocker arms inter change. I thnk they alos use the same under carriage in another over loader like the one I linked to in my photo bucket. The ones that were completely Eimco had the sprokets and finals on the back. the AC frame was a standard crawler frame then the used them with a reversed frame and the sprockets were o nthe front then they made their own that had all the motor and finals on the rear. This made the tracks and the finals last alot longer and gave more power. Im basing his on scattered info on these machines. the only other one in a mag ive seen was in Classic Plant and Machinery. They had stated it was an AC frame like the one in your pic.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Thanks,

All I had time to do was snap the picture, not enough to go look at it. That clears up a lot.

mlseel72409

Occupation
eimco mechanic
I got a question- where did you get the pic of the dozer without the roll over protection system? It's the one sitting in front of the field.