• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Efficiency Question.

Dickjr.

Lately I have noticed the use of small to midsized excavators and skid steers as a combo. I can see some benefit to this as if digging long footers you can keep the spoil moved etc. On smaller jobs you see both machines there one always sitting. What ever happened to using a backhoe for these jobs. Since I was a kid the backhoe has been the swiss army knife of machinery. Having 2 machines looks like it would cost the costumer more money in the long run. I have formed my own opinion , that most newer operators don't like a backhoe over digging with a similar sized excavator and lack the skill to backfill with a backhoe as well. The skid steer is no doubt good for backfill and dressing things up but in most cases the backhoe can do it all. The other thing , the excavator and skidsteer cost considerably more than just the backhoe.

lantraxco

I think in many cases it's a decision about bang for the buck, some jobs you will need both machines, but sometimes you can keep both machines busy doing different work. The mini-ex won't do what a TLB will, but it will work in places the moose won't and being able to rotate 360 can be a real time saver and in some cases is absolutely necessary. The skid steer can take all those attachments too, which probably is a factor in the decision process.

In my game we see lots of mini excavators loading small rubber tracked dumpers, they're about the same speed as a skidsteer but will haul several times as much material in one trip, it's just the right tool for the job if you can keep it busy enough to justify renting/buying.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Mini ex and the skid steer can both be brought to the job behind a 3/4 ton pick um up truck.
(separately) with a 14k gooseneck trailer, so no need of having an f700 and 10 ton tag just to move a backhoe.
Much lower licensing cost.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

digger doug.

Mini ex and the skid steer can both be brought to the job behind a 3/4 ton pick um up truck.
(separately) with a 14k gooseneck trailer, so no need of having an f700 and 10 ton tag just to move a backhoe.

I understand a TLB would not be allowed on some freeways but, over here, the big advantage is they can be roaded. I have a friend who has a nice little business and his machine has never had a ride.

He comes home/commutes on 250cc trail bike carried in the bucket and sometimes he tows a trailer with welder, fuel and tools.

Cheers.

lantraxco

Scrub,

You're not making any money at TLB road speed and in my part of Del Norte jobs are always at least an hour's trucking from the yard or any other job, just the nature of the beast. I'm sure there are small towns or rural areas here where small contractors do that, but it usually doesn't pencil out.

Graders will usually toot though, so it's not uncommon to see them flying down the road, and often towing a light truck as a dinghy.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Drove a bog standard case 580 k 20 miles for a guy.....boooooooring.

Steep hill, had the flashers on, and a line of angry (very) followers.

lantraxco

Followers are always angry, even at the speed limit. Driving lowboy with D6 on, blade corner bits hanging way out with red flags on, flashers going, "Wide load" signs front and rear. In a construction zone where there's two lanes lined on both sides with Jersey barrier and it's winding back and forth for about a mile, rolling 50 as per the orange signs. First trip through I almost had several heart attacks trying to keep from hitting the concrete barriers on one side in the curves while idiots passed me on the left with only inches to spare, honking and flipping me off. Second trip I threw the flashers on, straddled the center line and relaxed for about a minute as the Lemmings behind me blew brain fuses because I was making them wait.

People is idgits, I have seen the proof, and sometimes they is me.

Dickjr.

My point is , that it looks like most of this work can be done with one machine at 90$ per hour versus two machines at 90$ per hour per machine. Kind of like the other day I seen some guys pushing dirt to an excavator then the ex was loading a truck. I guess they never heard of a track loader. Maybe I need to catch up with the times.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Followers are always angry, even at the speed limit. Driving lowboy with D6 on, blade corner bits hanging way out with red flags on, flashers going, "Wide load" signs front and rear. In a construction zone where there's two lanes lined on both sides with Jersey barrier and it's winding back and forth for about a mile, rolling 50 as per the orange signs. First trip through I almost had several heart attacks trying to keep from hitting the concrete barriers on one side in the curves while idiots passed me on the left with only inches to spare, honking and flipping me off. Second trip I threw the flashers on, straddled the center line and relaxed for about a minute as the Lemmings behind me blew brain fuses because I was making them wait.

People is idgits, I have seen the proof, and sometimes they is me.

Oh god do I lead a sheltered life.....I never have flipped off a slow moving farmer, or anything else.
I actually come up behind them, put on my flashers, and wave them to keep going.
(they ussually start to pull off for me, but I can at least help by running defense for them)

lantraxco

Dickjr.

Sometimes you just use whatcha got, which you maybe bought for a different type of work than the current job. In the example you just mentioned it can be more efficient to push dirt to an excavator when loading trucks as the dozer can keep pushing material while the hoe is waiting for the next truck to get under him. That's assuming the dozer is big enough to keep up. A good sized excavator loading out of a pile should easily load a truck in half the time a track loader would depending on the distance to the material. It all depends on how the job sets up and what machines you have available to put on it.

When rubber tired backhoes and track loaders were all that was available, that's what you used. Skid steers, CTL's. mini's, fast hydraulic excavators, Artic's, they've all been added to the list of choices in the toolbox.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Lantraxco and others. I guess it's different in different markets. As I mentioned there are backhoe businesses in rural areas where the machine never rides . . . travel time is negotiated, usually around half rate.

Same bloke ran backhoe in Tourist Strip always heavy traffic, it worked for him with his first JCB.

There can always problems with impatient folks in traffic, anywhere in cane country though buggies towed by tractors are common in crushing season and that's just the way it is.

Cheers.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Dickjr, you are correct in the higher cost of a pair of machines on the job, but in my case my crews can turn out twice the production over just a backhoe on the site with the mid size excavator and a CTL teamed together. This is not to say the backhoe is never used, because there are sites that it is best also. Just my own personal opinion however...

Shimmy1

Dickjr, you are correct in the higher cost of a pair of machines on the job, but in my case my crews can turn out twice the production over just a backhoe on the site with the mid size excavator and a CTL teamed together. This is not to say the backhoe is never used, because there are sites that it is best also. Just my own personal opinion however...

Have to say I agree with JB. With an excavator and CTL together the sky's the limit on small jobs. Not saying a TLB isn't a good machine, but if you have a CTL, my preference is the TLB can stay a yard loader. JMHO.