• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ECM Repair Shops

RobertJ

Has anyone had an ECM repaired? A quick google search shows at least a few places that can repair an ECM so I'm trying to decide if that would be a better option than ordering one from cummins. ECM is off of a 2005 ISM.

Thanks.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
A guy I work with just had an ecm repaired/rebuilt for a tractor with a N-14 in it, the injector drivers failed. Just got it back, cost just over $1000. ca . they are a us company with a web site, didn't get their name, sorry.

crane operator

I had one repaired off a cummins M11, probably 10 years ago. Cost was like $500 at the time, and a new ecm was around $2,500 if I remember correctly. Plus cummins wanted another $300 bucks to hook it to their computer and set it.

Vetech63

There used to be a guy on this frum that said he could repair them. I don't remember his screen name, but it started with an L I think.

fastline

I do board level repairs and would be curious if you guys have pics of the inside of these ECMs? The last one I worked on was a Ford and it certainly was designed to be a throw away.. Massive PITA.

Are the injector drivers what are typically failing? I know on the old GM 6.5, the PMD was quite a gift giver.

Heat and electronics don't play well together, yet OEMs continue to combine them.

RobertJ

I just sent the ECM off to truckecm.com in Dallas. I'll report back with how they do.

I do board level repairs and would be curious if you guys have pics of the inside of these ECMs? The last one I worked on was a Ford and it certainly was designed to be a throw away.. Massive PITA.

Are the injector drivers what are typically failing? I know on the old GM 6.5, the PMD was quite a gift giver.

Heat and electronics don't play well together, yet OEMs continue to combine them.

I was really tempted to open up the ecm and have a look inside myself, but in the end I decided I don't trust myself enough to not break something.

I suspect that this ecm has a power delivery issue because last year it had a loose connection at the starter that caused a few issues. Its a spare that only gets used once in a while, worked fine a couple weeks prior then just wouldn't start when we needed it. I really thought mice got into the harness somewhere but there were no signs of them anywhere.

63 caveman

"I suspect that this ecm has a power delivery issue because last year it had a loose connection at the starter that caused a few issues. Its a spare that only gets used once in a while, worked fine a couple weeks prior then just wouldn't start when we needed it. I really thought mice got into the harness somewhere but there were no signs of them anywhere."

Hopefully you checked to make sure you had power and grounds getting to the ECM. No matter I believe if that shop checks it out and finds no problem the charge will be minamale and you will know you have a harness problem.

RobertJ

Its been a while but I'm back to update.

Truckecm verified that the ecm had no communication. They said they suspected it was the memory chip, but they didn't have any to replace it, and there was no guarentee that there weren't other issues with it.

I ended up going with a tested good used ecm from them. They wouldn't accept my dead ecm as a core, all in it was slightly cheaper than getting a reman from cummins. The ecm they sent has a broken clip to secure the 4pin power connector, I wasn't happy about it but I secured the plug another way and made it work. Truck is now back up and running. I wish I knew for sure what killed the previous ecm just for my peace of mind.

Since I got the original ecm back I opened it up and took a pic inside for those that are curious.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39

fastline

I don't know the full story but if you did not damage that board, I would be 100% PISSED! Because the damage I spotted is physical, not electrical, and could never happen in the truck. If you didn't do that, I would be calling them and tell them your EE just spotted a huge issue......

Appears they either dropped it or something fell on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 27

63 caveman

fastline,
You have a good eye!
RobertJ,
Glad your outfit is back running, Sorry you did not have the same satisfactory experience as I using there services.

RobertJ

I don't know the full story but if you did not damage that board, I would be 100% PISSED! Because the damage I spotted is physical, not electrical, and could never happen in the truck. If you didn't do that, I would be calling them and tell them your EE just spotted a huge issue......

Appears they either dropped it or something fell on it.
I'm pretty sure that was from me prying it open, the grey silicone was their doing and excessive in my opinion. I had a hell of a time getting it opened up to look inside.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
All I can say is I'm glade I got out of the business back in 2015! There were ECM's at that time but lucky I never had one fail.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It's amazing they don't fail more often, as many parts as inside and a lot of them high power electronics driving some thing or other directly.