• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ec160b starts but takes too long.

jerod

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic (Red Seal)
Hi guys, I have a volvo ec160blc that takes too long to start. It starts and runs ok. Bled the fuel system, changed the filters and changed the fuel pump. Still doing the same thing. Any help would be great.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day jerod
I suggest you begin check the primary pump pressure before and after filter should be about 700 psi, it may be that it takes time to build up pressure, hence the long cranking time.
Kind regards
Uffex

jerod

Occupation
Uffex, thanks for the reply. I do believe the fuel pump is only a pickup pump. The actual fuel injection and pressure is in the injectors. I tested the psi and the relief valve is supposed to be 9.5 bar (135psi). Talked to a volvo parts guy. Very slow to reach 9.5 bar. I replaced the filters and pump and bled the fuel system. Still long starts.

Ben Witter

Is the problem only upon initial start or does it act the same upon restarts? You could have air intrusion at the hand pump, primary filter or fuel lines. Or your problem could be low cranking speed due to starting system problems or excessive load from the hydraulic pumps.

Does the engine run strong and smooth? Any smoke?

jerod

Occupation
Engine runs strong. Every time you start it, even when you have been running it for a while, turn it off, go to start it again, same result every time. Long startups. Transfer pump has been replaced too. Thanks Ben.

Ben Witter

Fuel feed pressure for the D6D engine is 50-72PSI not 700PSI. Also this is not a common rail engine. The easiest way to check feed pressure is with a banjo bolt with a test nipple incorporated into the fuel filter lines. You should see at least 20PSI after cranking it for a bit.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day guys
Stand corrected however a common feed to all injectors would you prefer the a common pipe it means the same.
KR
Uffex