• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Eaton axle on Ford LN7000

Labparamour

Afternoon,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with my 1982 LN7000 with an Eaton 2spd drive axle.
Had a leaking oil seal on one hub. The axle has inside mounted brake drum.
The axle had a ring where the oil seal rides. It looks like a thick speedi-sleeve.
It had some rust on it so, dumb @ss me decided to pull it off to change.
Checking with a ford service guy- he said he's never seen such a thing on their axles.
The ring is 0.90" thick, thicker than speedi-sleeves I've seen.
Can anyone point me to a supplier or part number?
Thx,
Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_7412.JPG
    IMG_7412.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7416.JPG
    IMG_7416.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Truck Shop

What color was the seal in the hub, blue? Stemco makes a seal called a Grit Guard that uses a wear ring like that you have pictured. CR should make a seal for it.
What shape was the spindle in where that wear ring was placed? Most drive axles will use a CR 47697 seal. The Stemco Grit Guard # is 2120 I believe.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stemco seals in the day had thicker wear rings, could be a remnant of a day gone by. Newer assembly came with the wrap around Grit Guard setup. Have not used one in years.

Labparamour

Thanks for the replies!
Here's the seal that came out-
The axle under the ring looks fine.
I can try checking grit guard or maybe mic the axle and see if there's a seal that will work without the ring...

Darryl

Attachments

• IMG_7417.JPG
    IMG_7417.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7418.JPG
    IMG_7418.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7419.JPG
    IMG_7419.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

Labparamour

Been busy with my "part time"
Job....working full time hrs!
Anyway, gave up on grit guard. Tried the number above and it didn't cross with any current numbers.
Tried one for an eaton axle and ring fit axle tube but seal wrong for the hub.
Since axle tube is clean and not grooved, found a seal to fit it.
On the road now but, when I get back at it, will post pics and part #'s for what worked.
Darryl

Labparamour

Repair almost done- seals in, hubs and wheels back on.
Found the anchor pins for the brake shoes frozen so cleaned 'em up and juiced them up with antiseize.

Looking for new brake parts, I went to Brake and Clutch in Seattle.
I'm describing the set-up:
15" dia., inboard drums. 6" shoes with double web.
He says,"That's a Wagner brake. GM used those on school buses!" And knew the part number for brake kit.

Between work and weather, I'm still not on he road. I'm going to flush some solvent in the pumpkin before refilling with gear oil...and ordering a magnetic drain plug.

Anyway, parts:
National seal 370024A
Brake parts kit E-2713

Thanks again for the help,
Darryl

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I got into a old IH once that was a true oddball like this. Had Wagner Air Brakes, not Eaton nor Bendix, cast aluminum shoes 15" . Went thru five dealer parts men before a antique looked and knew where they came from. Someone had installed a banjo housing with Air Brake conversion kit from Hydraulic from 1960's school bus chassis on the 1970's fleetstar. Took forever to find the correct spider to fit the banjo housing to convert to of all things Wedge Brakes. Worthless is the least I feel for wedge brakes. When the auto adjusters worked they were nominal, when they got hot the adjusters would not keep up.

Labparamour

Thankfully, this one has s-cam brakes.
I truly appreciate the old guys (my age !) at the counter... The ones who either are familiar with the equipment or will actually take a book out! Not "gosh, I can't find it in my computer."
Now I'm working on the power steering pump. It's an Eaton and was leaking. I replaced the bearing and seal and I'm waitin on o-rings that go between the two halves of the pump.
I enjoy wrenching but, it seems I'm spending more time workin' on 'em than workin' with 'em!
Darryl