• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dump truck bidding

JD8875

How do the rest of you price your dump trucks for bid purposes? I have a job on a patio excavation that requires hauling off about 16 yards of dirt. I'm just starting out and not sure how to price it in the bid, by the yard, by the load or by the hour. Either way the truck will set for a while each load and then the machine has to set. I have a free place to dump the dirt on our farm but its 30 miles away. Do you charge dump fees if you have a place to go with the dirt? I can price my machines and make money but this is my first job involving a dump truck too. The truck is a 74 Chevy C-60 with a 16' Dump bed if that matters.

Thanks
John

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
30 miles is too far to go to give away dirt. I'd try to find someone within 10 minutes. If you want to take a load home with you at the end of the day, maybe. Or if its good topsoil, but junk fill, heck no.

16 yards will expand to 20 ish when you dig it, so 4 loads on the truck. If the customer is paying truck time and I don't have to pay to dump, then I just roll with that. Now if I have to get rid of stumps or something that is can't be given away then I charge whatever I pay plus the truck time.

Also I don't charge for the machine setting. If I have someone in the dump and someone loading then I charge for both, but if I'm doing both myself then, its just one or the other.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
$65/hr for tandems $75/ hr for trailers (25 foot) 4 hour min

JD8875

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to be sure I was right. This site has been a wealth of information and help in starting my little business, its saved me big and made me more.

Thanks Guys
John

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
65? How can you run that cheap the way fuel is? Are you bleading at the throat?!

big b

most times i go by the load then you can figure it out on a small job one like yours i usally go 250 per load. but hourly is always better. good luck