• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dump Truck Accident

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My fire dept had a rescue call yesterday which ended up being a recovery. A man was working under an elevated dump body with no struts or chocks and paid the ultimate price. The story re-printed from the "Poughkeepsie Journal":

Man working on truck dies after he is pinned

LAGRANGEVILLE - A man was killed Tuesday when he was pinned under the dump truck on which he was working.

Robert McGrath, 54, was working on his 1984 International dump truck at 85 Daley Road when the dump body came down and killed him.

The Dutchess County Sheriff's Office and LaGrange Fire Department responded.

Investigation into the incident is continuing, police said. They would not release any more information Tuesday.

I have from one of the members on the scene that the man has a hammer and chisel with him. The hoist was in working order, they simply raised the body to release the body.

This accident is exactly why I was concerned with the ATV riding underneath the elevated backhoes in the "Dancing Diggers" thread. Hydraulics are nothing to be taken for granted.

Grader4me

Really sad to see stuff like that happen. So senseless as it would have just taken him a few seconds to throw a block under there. We have a large fleet of trucks and all of our people are drilled on this. Still every once in a while I will see someone under that body without chocks. I asked one guy who I seen under there as to what in the hell are you thinking, his reply was "it was just for a second" You know....It only takes a second to get killed.

I even get really nervous when I see someone walking under a raised boom or bucket, and you see this all the time. Never trust hydraulics...never.

Last edited:

surfer-joe

Years ago in Maryland we employed a contract dump trucker for a while when we needed to haul in some fill. After we were done he went to the next section of road work for another contractor and was killed the first day in this manner. Looking for a oil leak -- wrench in hand -- he raised the bed on his ten-wheeler dump and started examining the hydraulics. The elbow to the hoist cylinder popped out, the bed came down, and he was decapitated. His 9 year old son watched the whole thing.

I've seen many stories like this over the years, as Steve says, it only takes a second.

d4c24a

it happens everywhere

a similar incident happen on a farm not far from me ,the farmer was trying to tighten a leaking pipe with the loader up ,and from what i can gather the pipe broke and the loader came down trapping him between the loader and tractor ,he died from his injuries in hospital later that day

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I had a cylinder hang up on an 10 yard end dump trailer not long ago. While trying to get it to retract, it buckled unexpectedly and the box slammed down from full height. There would have been no time to get out of the way had one of us been in the dead zone.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
On a construction site i worked on fifteen years ago, a guy got killed.
He was under the body of a Volvo 5350 dumper greasing the axle joints.
Got squised between the frame and the dumpbody.

And all it had taken, was to lift up the red support, lying on the same frame he got squised on...:eek:
Seconds, when the hose or something brakes.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Heard about a guy getting decapitated from the box coming down and lopping his head off.

Never get under a unsupported dump box when its tilted up even when its supported and I hear a creaking noise it makes me nervous.

I also learned when supporting the box putting a block of wood on the frame and the box near the hinge isn't good enough. When the box creaps down it creates enough force to rip the hinge off the box. I was told to use long 4x4s and prop the box up at the front of the box.

Grader4me

I also learned when supporting the box putting a block of wood on the frame and the box near the hinge isn't good enough. When the box creaps down it creates enough force to rip the hinge off the box. I was told to use long 4x4s and prop the box up at the front of the box.

Your right Ford. A prop system is the safest approach. I think that most of the newer models have a body prop. Having said that the block of wood is still better than nothing, as the odds would be more in your favor of getting out of there than having nothing at all.
The 4x4s would probably work as long as there was no danger of them "kicking out"
Be quite difficult to lug these around with you though. Problems could arise on the road and the driver might have to get under there.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
A block of wood close to the hinge is good for the quick checking etc. Its all I used to do untill I got screamed at by the one contractor I worked for. One of his trucks had the hinges tear off when the box creeps down and excessive pressure is put on the hinge.

The contractor had these 3"x6" planks I forget the length of them but they were heavy and always stood up in the corner of the shop so you never had to tilt them up. So you tried walking them over to the truck and support the box.

Don't ever get under a dump box without supporting it even a 9' mason dump it still can hurt you badly.

OneWelder

The mounts for those factory installed props need to be inspected before use.
salt corrodes them where they are welded on a lot quicker than most would expect.

wrenchbender

I hate to hear of things like this as I work on or around hydraulics all the time. I always use stiff knees or props and I'm still a little nervous and check on them constantly. I also preach DON'T TRUST HYDRAULICS but I see folks under booms,buckets and in pinch point all the time. Another thing is Don't trust cables/chains or anything with your life.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've been in construction since 1979, this is the 4th accidental death that I've had contact with. Three have been crush deaths under hydraulics, one was a trench cave in.

On one job we were laying 5' diameter concrete pipe for drainage and I refused to remain in the ditch while the pipe was being lowered. The excavator operator laughed at me, but when he swung the next pipe into place the cable snapped.

I'm very safety conscious, and have managed to retain all of my fingers and toes after this time in the industry. It only takes a second for a tool to fail and change or end a life forever. You can't be too careful.

dumptrucker

It only takes a second for a tool to fail and change or end a life forever. You can't be too careful.

Amen! Safety first! It's only dirt,concrete, and steel. It's not worth your life for anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Years ago in Maryland we employed a contract dump trucker for a while when we needed to haul in some fill. After we were done he went to the next section of road work for another contractor and was killed the first day in this manner. Looking for a oil leak -- wrench in hand -- he raised the bed on his ten-wheeler dump and started examining the hydraulics. The elbow to the hoist cylinder popped out, the bed came down, and he was decapitated. His 9 year old son watched the whole thing.

I've seen many stories like this over the years, as Steve says, it only takes a second.

Same here. I stopped at my buddy's farm in Conn. at least 15 yrs. ago to meet 2 ambulances and a bunch of distraught people. One of the hired hands was doing the ultimate STUPID deed...had the body up with a load on a worn-out old IH Loadstar 10 wheeler checking something. It had a manual (lever style,) pump control. He hit the cable that connects the spool in the valve body to the lever, and the body slammed down onto him.
The UNBELIEVABLE part of this story: We though he was deceased, as that was the story at the moment it was all happening, but he survived it, and was driving that same truck 1 week later. Nothing short of miraculous, I think to this day of it. There's no explaination as to how he lived through that kind of trauma...just wasn't his time yet, or maybe they don't want him in either place, hard to tell...:idontgetit
I am around hydraulics daily. Brand new to worn-out equipment, but I treat them all the same. NEVER do I trust hydraulics enough to get underneath something. I don't stand underneath booms, buckets, etc. nor do I put my feet even, under something. Way too much trouble can become of a hydro. failure.
I have drilled it into my kid's head repetatively, while jacking up and/or working on cars, trucks, etc; "Always make sure you have more than ONE way out"... meaning a jack isn't enough, block it up. And block it up again.

Loaderman380

Occupation
Operator for an underground utility company
You said it right lowboy. Don't trust any mechanical device, cables,chains, straps, or hydraulics. Or anyone else.
A little off the subject, but about 25 years ago I was nearly killed in an accident on the job. I was riding double on a loader when it fell from a train loading dock (long story). I was caught between the cab and the ground. Point is now I look over each task and weigh the danger, before I do it. That kind of experience will change your whole outlook, if you are lucky enough to survive.

LowBoy

Occupation
You said it right lowboy. Don't trust any mechanical device, cables,chains, straps, or hydraulics. Or anyone else.
A little off the subject, but about 25 years ago I was nearly killed in an accident on the job. I was riding double on a loader when it fell from a train loading dock (long story). I was caught between the cab and the ground. Point is now I look over each task and weigh the danger, before I do it. That kind of experience will change your whole outlook, if you are lucky enough to survive.

I agree 100%, and that's EXACTLY what I do. I assess the danger involved in a project first and foremost. I then take all the necessary precautionary measures to assure I (or anyone else,) won't get hurt. Just a simple little thing like smashing your finger can alter your entire lifestyle, so I prefer NOT to go there. Right down to running a chainsaw, I hold it with the assumption that it is TRYING to kick back, so I have a grip on that thing so tight that it's impossible for me to get hurt. I'm not afraid of it; just in complete control. And believe me, I've cut some wood in my lifetime, and only once did I have a chainsaw graze down alongside my pantleg for some reason I can't explain to this day, but I held onto it to the end. No blood drawn, I might add.
Improper jacking and blocking of vehicles (and equipment,) are a major source of accidents.I was taught early on in life to block, block & re-block again. And make sure if it does still fall, that it can't drop all the way down and injure or crush someone. Pretty simple, basic stuff that surprisingly, a LOT of people overlook.:crazy

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
i always block stuff. though i will admit more then once i have caught myself starting to do something that i forgot to properly block up. off to the wood pile i go for some proper blocking before i continue working on it though.

LowBoy

Occupation
i always block stuff. though i will admit more then once i have caught myself starting to do something that i forgot to properly block up. off to the wood pile i go for some proper blocking before i continue working on it though.

I'm with ya there...ain't nothin' like a good 'ol hunk 'o maple to keep things in place. (That's our dominant species up here, so it's the wood of choice for jackstands...):D