• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Duetz BF 4M 2012 diesel

TCS

Ok guys this thing has got me pulling my hair out,is anyone here familiar with the 4 individual injector fuel pumps and the governor on this little 4 cylinder water cooled 110hp Duetz 2012?

The thing purrs like a kitten,uses zero oil,zero crankcase pressure,starts well in cold weather,but smokes black and is low on power.
New air filters,rebuilt all 4 injectors,primary fuel pump,25lbs of turbo pressure at a no-load rev,valves are properly adjusted and the intercooler is tight and clean.

tctractors

Is there a leak off pipe from the injectors?? the injectors have to be fitted in the correct manner with machined flat facing the rocker shaft, else they black smoke under load due to the spray patern of the tips.

TCS

Yes tctractors the injectors are properly fitted with the flat toward the rockers and the fuel returns facing outward. This engine has done this since I bought it and two dealers couldn't figure it out. It has been an ongoing battle trying to get it right. Other than the smoking/lack of power it is very smooth and runs flawlessly.
After all the work and money we have spent on it I am directing my focus on the fuel pumps which are part of the cylinder head. I have been trying to gather as much info as I can not only on the engine but also the fuel system.Unfortunately so far I am not getting much good technical info or drawings describing it. Considering the injectors are new and firing smoothly at 3600lbs I presume the pump is in good shape,but perhaps the emission control or the pump timing is off?
The Hyundai 730 this engine is in is my everyday loader,which we brought into the shop for PM,a drifting bucket and a cutting edge so I thought we would once again spend some time on this problem. What makes me more aggravated is that since the Hyundai has been in the shop I have been using our little Schaeff 851 with a Perkins 4.108 and a 1.4m bucket which has way more power than the machine needs and does not smoke a bit!

Last edited:

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Might check and see if cam is bad.Seen a Case Tractor smoke like that.Dealer went though everything.Then Factory rep.checked the Cam Lobes and they had wore down.They said it was caused by soft metal.So you might get a dial gauge and check the lobes out. My 2 cents worth.

tctractors

Might check to see if the air boost pipe from the inlet manifold to the governer control is o.k. plus check the rubber diaphagm if fitted with this type control, also does it have the belt driven fuel pump, if so you need to see about 30 p.s.i. from the back end of it at high idle. tell me more about this turbo boost pressure at high idle no load? also does the bit of iron have a rev counter fitted, if so put the engine on max speed (high idle) then work the bucket or arm control to rod end stroke, the revs should be within 50 rpm from high idle to full load, the biggest load test is to drive the loader up a sandy incline with the bucket lifting this hould cause the governer to tighten its grip some what, but the shovel should still hold power, a large rev drop would be pointing things towards ether low fuel pressure( pressure control valve back to tank) crap in the tank (drain and clean) or failed rubber bit in governer control, test this with compressed air into union conection while someone loads the engine with hydraulic rod end loading

TCS

2stickbill,I dial indicated the rocker arm throw and they are the same across the board. I have been through what you have described before with a couple of TD25 engines that were notorious for soft cams.The difference is they all ran rough,this engine is way smoooth.

tctractor,I am intrigued by your suggestions and I am going to start with the air boost to governor tube tomorrow. The way this thing runs and smokes it is as if it is being over fueled. It is very lethargic on acceleration,yet I can feel the governor slightly pull the accelerator pedal down a bit as I slightly throttle the engine up.The best performance I get out of it is to throttle it about halfway and it actually seems to have a bit more power.

TCS

tctractor,I have a good bit of pressure being delivered from the intake manifold tube to the governor,but as of yet, have not had time to lift the governor housing top to see what is in there. Please tell me more of the rubber diaphragm. I assume it is part of a fuel metering/emission control device much like the old Mack mechanical Bosch pumps had?

tctractors

Without the air boost blowing that bit of rubber the engine will be flat on power, same as lots of older style CAT engines, anyhow you tell me about your RPM under load info.

TCS

It definitely loses RPM's while climbing a steep ramp and lifting a loaded bucket. I had already removed the manhole on the bottom of the fuel tank and it was shiny clean inside.

wesman

I have the same problem with my hl 730-3 loader lots of black smoke and short on power. The turbo and injectors are re-done as well as the head, and new filters. It idles good and starts great. Did you find your problem?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a hard time figuring 25 PSI of turbo boost with no load. The would mean you have over 50 inches of mercury without a load. The only time I've seen that much boost is on a twin turbo engine.

You might consider pulling the muffler and shaking it some. If you hear something rattling inside it usually means the baffles have broken up and are partially plugging exhaust.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
TCS,

Has the timing belt been replaced? It's easy to get those engines out of time. (I had a copy of the timing procedures sitting on my desk last week, but I can't find it right now. The cam sprocket is tightened when it is in time, there's no index key or pin, IIRC). Also, the service life of the belts is short, especially in cold weather. We change them every two years, without regard to hours. At four or five years they break, even with very low hours.

To me, black smoke and no power suggests turbo or timing.

Edit... noticed it's an old post, never mind...

Last edited: