• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drott 40a. I need to identify a bucket that is on it to get a replacement pin.

RonO

Hi, I have a Drott 40blc (logger) that was converted to an excavator. The bucket mounting pin broke. No one seems to be able to simply supply a 2.5" OD x 24" long hard pin with a single cross drilled hole in one end for a retention bolt. I'm being asked who made the bucket. Is this logo familiar to someone?

I would like to replace the boom point bushings also if possible. Same problem finding simple hard steel bushings. Case says they should be S89466 or S87929 dependent on what logger head it on it. Unfortunately they do not provide dimensions. They are 80mm OD x 2.5" ID x 60 mm long. They can be longer. There are 3 in the boom at this time.

Attachments

• IMG20240229162223.jpg
    IMG20240229162223.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Probably have to make one, but I’m sure a Drott 40 collector will be by soon to say he has three on the shelf. Two are worn out, but couldn’t bring himself to toss them and the third pin just needs cut down .15 thow to make work.

RonO

Well, in cleaning it up I've found that bushings were welded into the bucket to adapt it down from 99mm to 2.5 inch. So - I'm back to looking for a hard solid pin 2.5"x24" minimum with a cross drilled retention hole on one end. Given that this has broken a hardened pin and broken the bucket I'd really like to find a replacement pin rather than just make one.

Welder Dave

Hi, I have a Drott 40blc (logger) that was converted to an excavator. The bucket mounting pin broke. No one seems to be able to simply supply a 2.5" OD x 24" long hard pin with a single cross drilled hole in one end for a retention bolt. I'm being asked who made the bucket. Is this logo familiar to someone?

I would like to replace the boom point bushings also if possible. Same problem finding simple hard steel bushings. Case says they should be S89466 or S87929 dependent on what logger head it on it. Unfortunately they do not provide dimensions. They are 80mm OD x 2.5" ID x 60 mm long. They can be longer. There are 3 in the boom at this time.
If I had to guess, I think it could be an early Weldco Beales logo on the bucket. A hyd. shop may have a used rod or rod material and could make you a pin. A good machine shop could to. To drill hardened pins is likely the issue. You need a special drill bit to get through the hard outside. Sometimes you can grind down to the softer core to make drilling easier.

skyking1

A reputable machine shop will have inductuion hardened stock available to make you any pin you want.
Pape machinery made me a pin for the 120, rather than order one up. It was faster.

RonO

If I had to guess, I think it could be an early Weldco Beales logo on the bucket. A hyd. shop may have a used rod or rod material and could make you a pin. A good machine shop could to. To drill hardened pins is likely the issue. You need a special drill bit to get through the hard outside. Sometimes you can grind down to the softer core to make drilling easier.
Hi, Thank you - I believe you are correct about Weldco Beales. The flare or dart like effect under the letters of their current logo is notable in the one on the bucket.

I had an extensive machine shop but lost most when I had a 6 alarm fire. Bought the ole Drott to do clean up. (I hate to say old - I remember when these were new). I fitted a thumb to it. Now scrapping out my business of 46 years.

Before the fire I could have just taken any hard shaft and put it in my tap disintegrator to make a bolt hole through it. Now things are more challenging. Nice part is that there are no grease holes needed.

A friend wants me to just use some mild 1045 or stressproof and make a pin. My concern is that there is so much force applied to this pin in use - I don't want to shear a replacement pin and break the bucket again. I won't run the machine so long as to wear out the pin. I'm concerned about breaking it.

RonO

It takes a lot to break a 2 1/2" pin especially if everything is tight.
The boom bushings are decent. The bucket is from a machine that used 99mm/3.9 inch diameter pins. Prior owner fitted reducer bushings for the bucket pivot pin and the bushings are welded in place on the bucket. Those reducer bushings are 6" thick each. The boom is 10 inches/180mm wide at the pivot pin. There is a gap between each side of the boom and the bucket that is 5/8 inch with a shop made 1/4 inch washer in the gap. I'm not impressed with the gap - it leads to more bending moment on the pin rather than shear.

The pin was obviously cracked on one side for some time as a portion of that break is discolored. That mating ear of the bucket had a previously unknown discolored crack. The break in the pin on the other side of the boom was a fresh break.

The loads on the pin are large. A Drott 40blcw is a 40,000 lb tree feller/buncher. This machine type has a shorter boom than the excavator versions. It is rated for 10,000 lb lift. I bought it with the excavator bucket fitted to it and I added a hydraulic thumb. Using the bucket and thumb to grasp heavy/odd shaped items commonly utilizes all of the power of the hydraulic system. This 2.5 inch pin is what has to withstand the forces.

I've not found a supplier for an induction hardened pin that is 24" long. 17 inch is common. I found a Terex pin that is 20" but 24" is an issue. I can make a pin out of 1045 or A311 (stress proof) but given that a hardened pin broke - I am concerned about using a non-surface hardened pin. I'd not want to have a preventable failure and damage the bucket again.

Welder Dave

Do you know exactly what the broken pin was? It may have had a flaw that caused it to break. I recall a problem with factory pins breaking a long time ago but forget which manufacturer.