• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Drive train extremely sluggish

hancockcounty

Hello- I have a cat 289c skid steer with 1900 hours on it. I was running my forestry mulcher HF (which i have done many other times before) and the drive ability went extremely sluggish all of a sudden after about 1.5 hours use. The attachment still had good flow to it. I drove it about a tenth of a mile up my driveway to drop the attachment at a very slow speed. After disconnecting the attachment and shutting the machine off for a couple min it was fine and i drove off. Then an hour latter while running my HF stump grinder i had the same problem but less severe. I called CAT and they said to first cut open the Hydraulic filter to check for metal which i did and found no metal flakes. I drove it again today with the stump grinder and had the same problem after about two hours. It is not low on fluid. A friend came out and looked for a screen off the pump but we could not find one. I did find another guy online with a similar issue and it was his joystick. Not really sure what to do from here, but i really don't want to pay CAT to play diagnosis for 20 hours only to find something stupid. Has anyone had this problem before?

mikebramel

Flip the cab up, there should be a test port off the main valve about where the pilot supply comes off. This will be where the reducing valve is. Compare that pressure to the pilot lines running to the top of the hydrostatic pumps