• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DRESSER TD9H No drive on one side

excavat

Hi guys,

I have a Dresser TD9H has almost 10 thousand hours on it. Something definitely broke inside somewhere. My operator was running machine and the one side quite working. When we did load it on the tailer it sounded really bad down in the tranny, like it was grinding up gears or something. We also had some steering trouble with it this spring so we adjusted the nuts/ brakes on it and it seemed to help but it still wasn't quite good enough... Not sure if its the tranny or not but I'm guessing. Would I be better off getting it rebuilt or getting a used tranny from someone. Where is a good place for parts or even a good mechanic for these machines.

Thanks, Leroy

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

excavat. I don't know your tractor but I think it is of conventional design and it's possible that noise you heard was gears grinding up in a final drive or perhaps the cross-shaft.

It's unlikely to lose drive to just one side with a transmission failure.

These failures need to be diagnosed in field as moving a tractor with a broken final can cost real big money.

All the best with your repairs.

Cheers.

Last edited:

JimP

Winmill Equipment in Vermont and New Hampshire is familiar with Dresser dozers. Hope its not serious. Jim

Dickjr.

The magnet is or should be located on the oil check plug for the final drive. Make sure its up towards the top or you will loose oil. You may check the oil as well just put the oil check plug at 3 oclock.

excavat

I checked and there was small grindings on it. Also the top plug was full of oil. I got about 3-4 gallons of oil out of there before it got to the check oil plug level. I'm guessing that means my seal is bad going into the tranny and that's where all my tranny oil was going.