• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

drawbar type stump puller

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
Does anyone remember the old stump pullers that was dragged down planted pine rows with a dozer? It was a rather large diameter wheel which would sqeeze tight around stump at wheel bottom as wheel rolled it pulled stump out ground, and as wheel continued roll it openings increased reliecing stump. It similar to a modern day carrot harvester. I havnt seen one in years . All the folks I tell about it say I dreamed it up but I saw one befor. Any one else know what I talking about ?

mitch504

I don't, and I've been fascinated by equipment and spending all my time in the woods since about 1972. I'm guessing maybe that was a prototype that didn't succeed? :beatsme

It would have to be tough, because pulling a southern pine stump of chip 'n' saw size or above isn't easy.

I have seen a tree planter that had 2 wheels that ran together at an angle.

Good Luck on your quest, and I'll ask some old timers.

whitemike

Occupation
Small land clearing biz owner
I entered wheel stump puller in wiki. It showed a large wheel set over a big stump and rotated pulling a large cable. But nothing on a pull type wheel used in plantation type stumps. These wheels were used in south ga-north Fla. In the late 60s & 70s. I would think someone associated with Rome manufactureing would know. I can see a few reasons for its early failure, deep sand, getting pinned in a wet area, lack of easy hydralics. Now days we use excavators because they will do more than one job but a dedicated puller would work if it had its on track undercarriage that conveyed stumps into windrows, trailers, or trucks. I just thinking outload!