• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozers pulling scrapers question

boaterri

In a number of threads I have noticed that dozers pulling scrapers on commercial sites are usually without blades. Is there any particular reason for this other than not moving a heavy steel blade to the job site?

Rick

old-iron-habit

1. The wear on the under carriage is less without the heavy blade hanging.

2. Many of the older cable dozers use the CCU to lift the blade so in order to have both sides of the CCU available for the scraper the blade has to be removed.

Others will chime in with more reasons.

R.D.G013

1. The wear on the under carriage is less without the heavy blade hanging.

2. Many of the older cable dozers use the CCU to lift the blade so in order to have both sides of the CCU available for the scraper the blade has to be removed.

Others will chime in with more reasons.

Having the blade on gives u more weight so u get more traction, BUT u can't cut along batters as the blade is wider then the tracks as well as cutting close to pegs and other obstacles it becomes a hindrance, also creates more dust and cuts down on your forward visibility. We used to always take our blades off, which on a TD 15 size machine u could drop the blade and hook up to the scraper in about 30 mins and the same dropping the scraper and going back to the blade, not the sort of thing would want to do a couple of times a day.

Shimmy1

Many of the older cable dozers use the CCU to lift the blade so in order to have both sides of the CCU available for the scraper the blade has to be removed.

It would be very possible the same could be true with a newer hydraulic dozer as well. A tractor without ripper hydraulics could pull a pan by using the blade hydraulics. The apron and ejector get plumbed together in series for the tilt circuit and the lift circuit runs the bowl.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . All the reasons listed . . . a direct drive clutch steer tractor with out a blade is a responsive agile beast. Love it. (big grin)

cheers.

tctractors

The Blade is dropped off or not fitted when pulling a Scraper to firstly allow the tractor to steer faster and improve manoverability, on CAT tractors D7-8-9 size in my early days we had to swap the front idlers into the High Set position, this involves splitting the track chain undoing a load of nasty bolts and spinning the idler 180 deg, then stuffing things all back together the clipped master link was yet to be invented so a bit of thrashing was involved, with the front idlers in the high set the tractor realy turns fast and seems to gallop away from the cut faster, this also helps with loading as the steering load on the engine is reduced, after the Scraper work is done things had to be swapped back and the winch shafts dropped off and blanking caps fitted to the Aux' drive, so your question about popping off a blade would be nothing work wise to do but makes a big improvement on the speed, handling, fuel used and the amount of muck moved in any conditions, the Plant Manager of 1 outfit I used to do work for sometimes even had you pull off the CCU's after the scraper was pinned and unhitched, the winch would be dropped into the Scraper bowl to be towed away by a truck (not loaded on a trailer)

tctractors

Razor

Dozers & scoops.

In a number of threads I have noticed that dozers pulling scrapers on commercial sites are usually without blades. Is there any particular reason for this other than not moving a heavy steel blade to the job site?

Rick
A few dozer and scoop photos, first a D6 scoop with blade on ( RDG it is Renners machine with Wally at the controls.) second D8H and scoop being pushed by same D6 is a Stevenson's machine operated by Wally's boy Michael,and Richard Stanborough on his TD15 and Onions scoop, all at the Golden Cross mine project Waihi NZ. Next myself on my first dozer and scoop I owned, HD16 & Birtley 70.

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,322
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,307

nicky 68a

I only have blades on mine when they are being moved from site to site.
I never worked them together in 25 years apart from a handful of very brief moments.
As TC says,rotating the idler blocks made a suprising difference.Only did it one though as it was too much bother unless you had permanent scraper work

Attachments

• 20141213_143518.jpg
    20141213_143518.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,294

nicky 68a

Running big tractors with the blade on is like having a headache after far too many beers.Take it off and let the kitty run free!!!!!
D6 tractors is another matter though,so I'm told.Merv is better qualified than me on that subject.

Attachments

• 10906262_1659809234246462_1782946105706603541_n.jpg
    10906262_1659809234246462_1782946105706603541_n.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,293

Razor

Hi Nicky 68a
have you got a few photos of your gear working, would be good to see some action from the UK, cheers.

nicky 68a

and another one being pushloaded this summer.Hope you like them.

Attachments

• mms_img159304249.jpg
    mms_img159304249.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,246

nicky 68a

They both have blades too.

Attachments

• 20141002_150211-1 (2).jpg
    20141002_150211-1 (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 20131202_130112.jpg
    20131202_130112.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,237

nicky 68a

They parked up in December.Not sure when they'll next work as it's too wet until spring.
Razor,I like your Terex by the way.

Attachments

• 20141213_143301.jpg
    20141213_143301.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,226

boaterri

Thanks to all for your answers, I have no experience with scrapers and was just observant and curious.

Thanks again,

Rick

ih100

You live and learn. I never knew about the idler blocks. Just to clarify, that's to get the idler off the ground so you can turn easier? Thanks for the pictures and information, everyone. One question from me, can you raise the idler on high-drives?

tctractors

ih100, the answer on High Drive units is realy no, although the front idler on a D6H etc does have a spacer shim plate under the mounting that can be removed it never is, the likes of D8-9 tractors loose a good bit of steam on the turn with good boots under them, they even had clipped ends on some plates to help with the turn, when you see a D8 run with the idlers in the high set position, or better still drive the mount to get the feeling of how easy they run, turn, spin and seem to pull better, it seems to make it worth the effort, we used to spin the idlers in the night ready for the 6am start of shift, thinking about it my life must have been crap in places, but we thought it was doing the job right at the time, no one in the U.K. running D8H or K's mucks about with this idler task now, probably because they cannot be bothered but 1 thing is sure CAT would not have gone to the trouble if the end result was not worth it, the tractor also seems to run easier - faster.

dog em into 3rd and let em fly tctractors

Razor

D8 & Scoop

They parked up in December.Not sure when they'll next work as it's too wet until spring.
Razor,I like your Terex by the way.

Nicky those are good looking tractor & scoops. What were the jobs? I have had a passion for dozers & scoops & scrapers since I was knee high to a grass hopper,don't think that ever going to change. Here is one of me on D8 & scoop about 30 years ago.

Attachments

• 268.jpg
    268.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 911
  • 267.jpg
    267.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 859

Brainzie

Rpl

The Lakes, Tauriko

Attachments

• Philip 004.jpg