• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dozer Final Drive Leak...advice?

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
So, today while replacing the undercarriage in my 98' JD 450G LGP I found a small leak coming from under the passenger side sprocket. Oh the joys of maintenance!
All I have for this is an operators manual where can I find some instruction on replacing this seal, verbal or otherwise? Its not leaking very bad but, I have the tracks off already so It would be the time to fix it.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 2,288

oldirt

you are going to need more parts than just a seal.. bearings are probably shot which is why the seal went out, unless some other damage has occurred to it. At least you don't have to have a 100 ton press to take it apart. Look hard at every other part that turns in there. Gears don't last forever..

jd450dozer

Now is the time to do it, finals can get pretty expensive if ignored. With that being said if its a slow leak and its not a production machine just top it off often and keep an eye on it. maybe do an oil analyses to give you an idea of the metal contents. Also feel around the back of the hub and see if there isnt wire,string cable ect…. wrapped up back there.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Thanks, we will be replacing the seal and bearing, should be fun....

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I ended up buying the repair manual, they wanted $600 for the book!! I was able to D/L it for $90. If you or anyone else needs any sections I would be happy to send them off.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Good so-far, we are just now getting into the fun part though

Attachments

• IMG_2106.JPG
    IMG_2106.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 975

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Got it all apart to find a piece of rope had wrapped around it and cut the seal, causing the leak. The bearing was fine but could not be pulled with the puller or hydraulic jack! So the bearing was cut off to fit the new duo cone seal in.....expensive piece of rope!!

Attachments

• IMG_2120.JPG
    IMG_2120.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 864

jd450dozer

Its almost alway something to that effect, wire & rope most common. Most operators wont catch the slow leak and thats what get the bearing. Always look for wet spots on back of the sprockets and inside bottom pad on the morning walk around. As expensive as it was, its double that at the stealer.

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
Well, got it all put back together. New undercarriage and track chain, she is ready for 2013:beerchug

Attachments

• IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_2167.JPG
    IMG_2167.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_2168.JPG
    IMG_2168.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 763

DPete

Doesn't sound to bad, good feeling to fix it, now you don't have to wonder how low it is.